BBO Discussion Forums: A normal bid, a chancy bid or an extraordinary bid? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A normal bid, a chancy bid or an extraordinary bid?

#21 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-March-21, 14:56

Transferring to 4H is pretty normal opposite a weak NT. It's a good two-way shot. If partner has a maximum with prime cards and a good fit, you just might make it. If partner has a minimum, the opponents might have a part-score or even a game.

Playing strong NTs, however, a normal 2D transfer would be pretty automatic.

#22 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2017-March-22, 01:56

View PostFelicityR, on 2017-March-20, 06:43, said:

Note: Honour cards and distribution are correct but small cards have been randomly assigned.

In the recent Vanderbilt final, Gold and Bakhshi bid the above using a Texas 4 transfer. The NT range was explained by the commentator as 11(12-14). Even given the favourable vulnerability, I was a little bit stunned by the high level transfer.

I would be interested in others' opinion on the 4 bid. Was it a stroke of genius crowding out the opposition, or a normal bid for experts to make, or a double-edged bid that could have gone seriously wrong?

Surprised to see that hoary old antique.Texas,is still kicking around. I thought it would have been consigned to the bridge
convention museum long ago ;)
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#23 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2017-March-22, 02:14

View Postmiamijd, on 2017-March-21, 14:56, said:

Transferring to 4H is pretty normal opposite a weak NT. It's a good two-way shot. If partner has a maximum with prime cards and a good fit, you just might make it. If partner has a minimum, the opponents might have a part-score or even a game.

Playing strong NTs, however, a normal 2D transfer would be pretty automatic.

I almost upvoted this but I disagree with the last part. Opposite a strong NT we will often make (probably not odds-on but close), and while the chance of them making game is lower than before, it's not zero and 4H will be a good save vs their 2/3S anyway.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#24 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2017-March-22, 10:34

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-March-21, 04:30, said:

There is another alternative, namely 4 and 4 as transfers but using 4 to show both majors. As with the regular Texas transfers, this can be done both with a weak hand and a slammy one. The same structure also works over a 2NT opening of course.

This is what we play, and actually we have 4 as ace-asking. It has never come up.

View Postmsjennifer, on 2017-March-21, 04:42, said:

The SA Texas can be played with the only purpose of preempting the opponents.With a strong hand with a long suit and slam ambition we will try to go slowly to enable the opener to clarify his hand or for the responder to show his hand in details and for this purpose we use the usual four suit ransfers namely 2D/H/S/NT .We use the SA Texas to show a WEAKISH hand with 1) with not the slightest slam ambition or 2) to preempt the opponents,having practically no defencive values.The 4H/S over partners 1NT opening or overcall is to play in order that the lead may not go through an unprotected King in responders hand,and show a game hand WITH defensive values.

You are forgetting that Texas transfers, whether normal or SA, also allow responder to bid Blackwood.

As for the OP, the bid is pretty normal at these colours.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#25 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2017-March-22, 13:26

View PostVampyr, on 2017-March-22, 10:34, said:

This is what we play, and actually we have 4 as ace-asking. It has never come up.

You are forgetting that Texas transfers, whether normal or SA, also allow responder to bid Blackwood.

As for the OP, the bid is pretty normal at these colours.

No! I did not forget it!A strong hand too can employ SA Texas and later on 4NT etc to reach a correct contract.It also prevents opponents from bidding a lead suggesting Suit at a cheap level.

#26 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2017-March-23, 04:16

View PostVampyr, on 2017-March-22, 10:34, said:

The main alternative to that is using 4 as Baron, though that is somewhat redundant if you use the popular (in the UK) method of 2 for a similar purpose.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users