BBO Discussion Forums: An unusual case of hesitation Blackwood - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

An unusual case of hesitation Blackwood EBU

#1 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-March-17, 04:36

The following incident was reported to me from a local club teams league event (both vul, IMP scoring):

The auction, starting with West, was:

1 - 1
4 - 4NT
5 - 5(H)
6 - P

4NT was RKCB, the first 5 bid showed two key cards and denied the Q. The second 5 bid was very slow, and accepted (whether wittingly or not I don't know) by a pass from South.

Assuming the contract made, should the director allow West's 6 bid to stand?

#2 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-17, 05:36

View PostVixTD, on 2017-March-17, 04:36, said:

The following incident was reported to me from a local club teams league event (both vul, IMP scoring):

The auction, starting with West, was:

1 - 1
4 - 4NT
5 - 5(H)
6 - P

4NT was RKCB, the first 5 bid showed two key cards and denied the Q. The second 5 bid was very slow, and accepted (whether wittingly or not I don't know) by a pass from South.

Assuming the contract made, should the director allow West's 6 bid to stand?

Presumably if he was thinking of bidding less, he would have bid 4H, not 5H. So a slow 5H does suggest he was thinking of bidding more. :)
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#3 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-17, 05:38

Is pass a logical alternative?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#4 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-17, 06:44

View Postblackshoe, on 2017-March-17, 05:38, said:

Is pass a logical alternative?

I think so. If the second 5 bid was sufficient (which east obviously thought it was) it's to play and it seems to have been so slow it suckered south, who had probably fallen asleep into accepting it.

Just my guess on the tempo part but on the first part I make pass not only a logical alternative but called for.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-March-17, 08:37

I wonder if West thought East's 5 was a trump queen ask.

#6 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2017-March-17, 08:57

I would say that IMHO that the contract should be rolled back to 5 (one of them). The trance suggests that East wants to continue so has extras (in this case the club void), but dan't work out how to show them. I suspect West could work out the extra as it is unlikely to be a void in Spades.
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#7 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-17, 09:01

I would go a different route altogether. 5, rather than PASS, keeps the auction alive and puts the ball back in Opener's court if accepted. If not accepted, Responder can just pass or bid 6; it is a no-lose irregularity and the offender might conceivably have known that. Please, no pedants on the exact way I worded this, but L23 could be invoked.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#8 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-March-17, 12:07

BTW, Law 23 has been moved in the 2017 version, it will be 72C. There are some minor wording changes, but nothing that changes the meaning, so SB will still have plenty of ammunition.

#9 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-17, 13:23

I'm with the majority here - would roll this back (pass is an LA and the hesitation suggests East was thinking of bidding 6).

ahydra

#10 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-20, 04:40

It makes a change from the more common mistake of forgetting what the last bid was and signing off by passing rather than bidding 5 over something like 5. But I agree that the BIT clearly suggests the player is not sure whether to sign off and therefore suggests bidding on. I also think that if partner invokes BW and then signs off, pass is pretty much always a logical alternative (unless, say, you have 5 key cards rather than 2!). So I would indeed rule the contract back to 5 (the second one, not that it matters which).

#11 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-21, 02:11

people here seem to be pretty confident they know what a slow insufficient (repeat) bid demonstrably suggests. i'm certainly not.

i would say that anyone who makes a 5h bid over 5h is clearly so mixed up at the moment that it's impossible to know what they have.

#12 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-21, 06:55

View Postwank, on 2017-March-21, 02:11, said:

people here seem to be pretty confident they know what a slow insufficient (repeat) bid demonstrably suggests. i'm certainly not.

i would say that anyone who makes a 5h bid over 5h is clearly so mixed up at the moment that it's impossible to know what they have.

I don't think what the 2nd 5 bidder had is relevant at all although with anyone I've played with or against often enough, I can guess what their tanks mean way over 50% of the time. They signed off after a keycard response that just happened to be where they already were and took so long to do it that the rest of the table (them too) went into a coma.

West has no business raising that having chosen to respond to 4nt as they did whether the 2nd 5 bid was insufficient or not.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users