BBO Discussion Forums: Tournament chats should default to table! - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tournament chats should default to table! Some things should not be shouted to all players

#1 User is offline   silvr bull 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-March-12, 11:08

One of the problems with tournaments that enable the Tournament address in the chat box is that many players will select "Tournament" to send a greeting or thank the directors, but then forget that their later messages are also going to be seen by everyone (because the Tournament address remains active until a player changes it).Then those players will discuss the hand (that others may still be playing), or criticize their partner, or something worse. I would like BBO to set "Table" as the default address for any chat during a tournament. A player could change that address to Tournament to send a message for all to see, but after that message is sent, then the default Table address would be restored. Unless the sender clicks Tournament or Opponents for a destination on each chat message, then chat messages would be sent to the table instead of being distributed to everyone in the tournament. That change would make tournament chat messages more meaningful by filtering out some of the "noise" that the senders did not intend to be seen by all.

#2 User is offline   silvr bull 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-March-29, 00:31

These are only two of the problem messages I have seen recently, but there were many more in previous tournaments. Defaulting chat messages to table in a tournament is an easy fix, and it would help to reduce broadcasting angry messages unintentionally to the full tournament. Players could still select Tournament as the address to send each message they like, defaulting to Table for subsequent messages would keep table related messages from being broadcast inadvertently.

This broadcast was while the hand was being played, or perhaps not yet started by slow tables:
Tournament: how u know with 2s u partner has 4 card H

I have seen much worse comments directed at partner or opps, and those comments should not leave the table:
Tournament: do not tell ur p what should be done and what should not

#3 User is offline   mdevere 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-August-03, 13:31

IMO, change the defaults everywhere, and never default to Tournament or Lobby or Kibitzers. I have inadvertently broadcast many messages, even though I know how it works. Okay to default to last recipient or to Table. If neither of those applies, it's okay to have no default and make me choose a recipient. Much better than me telling the world about my plans for dinner or whatever ...

#4 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-August-03, 14:52

View Postmdevere, on 2020-August-03, 13:31, said:

IMO, change the defaults everywhere, and never default to Tournament or Lobby or Kibitzers. I have inadvertently broadcast many messages, even though I know how it works. Okay to default to last recipient or to Table. If neither of those applies, it's okay to have no default and make me choose a recipient. Much better than me telling the world about my plans for dinner or whatever ...

I think that is sensible. Others have also suggested defaulting to Opponents, which has some justification over Table.

It is also worth reflecting on whether Directors need different rules/defaults compared to players.

#5 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-August-05, 12:46

Just adding that it is NOT ok defaulting to last recipient, it needs to reset each time.

#6 User is offline   sunnydave 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-August-15, 02:18

We all seem to think this is a good idea. It is clearly much too easy to misdirect chat inappropriately.

Will BBO consider it and implement it (in other words, does a BBO "moderator" read and evaluate these suggestions... this one has had several recent posts, but was first raised way back in 2017).

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-August-17, 17:05

BBO's Project Manager does read these posts.

But we have many things on our to-do list, and very few programmers to do them. So even popular suggestions like this may have to wait.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users