• You cannot reply to this topic

Non-game-forcing 2/1 bidding

#1 User is offline   AyunuS 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-March-12, 01:49

http://tinyurl.com/zeebj4v

Advanced robots, IMPs.

Surely there must be a better way to deal with this. 6+ and 2- is a big stretch with that hand, although I guess it just has to since it doesn't have anything else good to bid? In any case, something can probably be improved here as it got stuck in a 4/1 fit, even though it had a 7/3 fit in clubs.

Idea 1: Change the description. If there are hands with as few as 4 diamonds that have to bid this, it should only show 4+ diamonds.
Idea 2: Bid 2NT, although that is probably reserved for 14 HCP or something as it is usually an invite to 3NT and partner can't have more than 11 so that's probably a gross overbid here, especially with how few sources of tricks east has.
Idea 3: West could have just rebid 3 clubs.

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-March-12, 06:39

The forcing character of a passed-hand 2/1 is very low in Giberish, even lower than in semi-modern Acol. This has to change. GIB should play SAYC by a passed hand.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   m1cha 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-March-14, 20:31

View PostAyunuS, on 2017-March-12, 01:49, said:

Idea 1: Change the description. If there are hands with as few as 4 diamonds that have to bid this, it should only show 4+ diamonds.

I don't agree. 2 should mean "I don't want to play your suit, I want to play mine" and a 4-card diamond suit is definitely not long enough.

Idea 2: Bid 2NT, although that is probably reserved for 14 HCP

Yes, it is.

Idea 3: West could have just rebid 3 clubs.

3 promises 4 cards in clubs.

I had a similar hand as East recently, and I just passed. If you bid, where do you want to end up? Why play 3 if you can play 2? Are you afraid the opponents may get in? They haven't bid so far, they know we have the majority of points, they believe we probably don't have a fit and they don't have a fit either. If they get in here they may easily score -300 or -500. IMO pass is next to perfect. And in cases like this one I don't worry if the label says 'forcing' or not. (This differs, of course, when I play with a human partner.)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users