Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A freak hand

#1 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-March-05, 21:49

Playing with three robots. Your bid. (Would you bid differently with a human?)

#2 User is offline   silvr bull 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-March-05, 23:09

Pass, and hope North doesn't bid either. 1S (or 2S if you could somehow stop there) could be your only plus,

If this is a typical BBO "random" deal and you bid any number of NT, robot W will lead one of its 7 Ds to the AK tight in E, then E will shift to the CQ from QJx and you will enjoy pitching top Ss on the unending minor suit winners in W.

In a money bridge game, dealt and played by humans, I picked up Axx Axx AKQJTx x. After P P 1D, I hoped P might have a 5 card major (instead of long Cs), and I said double. Then redouble by the LOL on my left and P P back to me. There is a risk that RHO could have 7 Ds and a major suit void, but I was there to gamble and I passed too. Imagine P's emotions as he went from the agony of defeat to the thrill of victory!

#3 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-05, 23:30

View Postsmerriman, on 2017-March-05, 21:49, said:

Playing with three robots. Your bid. (Would you bid differently with a human?)

With a human I would double and expect to bid 3NT on the next round most of the time. I will try that with the robots as well, but with less confidence that I'm not going to wind up with a random score. On the bright side, I might get passed in a 4S cuebid if the auction goes off the rails. ;)

#4 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-06, 07:12

With this bidding I would consider pass IF the vulnerability were reversed. We have a virtually certain 8 tricks and a vulnerable game if p has something more than mere trinkets over there. I see no sense in letting the bidding proceed any further than 3n by me. I do not want to muddy the waters with x followed by 3n since that might encourage my weak partner to try something like 4d or 4h with 7 of them (or 6 even). I do not really want partners opinion of this hand since slam seems improbable and our best shot at game looks like 3n.

#5 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-06, 07:44

With humans I would expect a psyche, with robots I would be sure that RHO has a genuine 1 opening. I would pass in either case, though.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#6 User is offline   xavierf 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-March-06, 11:58

i would pass, (1S) - 3SA will be based on a running minor I think? Otherwise 3SA is an option but I think the diamond lead/switch will almost Always be found. If the K of clubs was a A I would bid 3NT

#7 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-06, 12:03

View Postxavierf, on 2017-March-06, 11:58, said:

i would pass, (1S) - 3SA will be based on a running minor I think? Otherwise 3SA is an option but I think the diamond lead/switch will almost Always be found. If the K of clubs was a A I would bid 3NT

How would you ever get to 3NT when 3 is normally played as asking for a spade stopper. While the singleton 8 is good enough to win a spade trick, partner is unlikely to bid 3NT.

#8 User is offline   xavierf 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-March-06, 12:23

View Postjohnu, on 2017-March-06, 12:03, said:

How would you ever get to 3NT when 3 is normally played as asking for a spade stopper. While the singleton 8 is good enough to win a spade trick, partner is unlikely to bid 3NT.

With the A of Clubs you just can bid 3SA? it's a gamble, but I think the robots will play that's as a running minor with a spade stop?

#9 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2017-March-06, 13:25

Since we're now speaking French, je pense que je vais faire une offre de 3 SA aussi, parce que je pense que je peux faire ça.

#10 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-06, 13:58

View Postjohnu, on 2017-March-06, 12:03, said:

3SA (sans atout) = 3NT, not 3 spades. The poster just reverted to French abbreviations for a moment.

At least that's how I read it.

#11 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-06, 15:22

View Postsfi, on 2017-March-06, 13:58, said:

3SA (sans atout) = 3NT, not 3 spades. The poster just reverted to French abbreviations for a moment.

At least that's how I read it.

Yes 3SA. Solid spade stop and source of tricks ... That robot East is a notorious misclicker as well ...
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#12 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-06, 15:38

3SA for me. It doesn't feel like we gain much by going slower. Normally it will be based on a running minor, but as a passed hand, I wouldn't expect P to pull unless he's got something close to a Yarborough.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#13 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-06, 18:10

Here were the four hands:

This was with advanced robots for the forum challenge event. I went with the conservative pass. In retrospect, I was thinking 3nt was probably a better bid, and that's what happened at the other table.

It does go down 2 on a diamond lead (more if you misguess clubs) - whether or not GIB would find this lead is moot, since North decided to raise 3NT to 6 (!) and give me a large swing.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users