BBO Discussion Forums: A "weak 2" tale - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A "weak 2" tale

Poll: A "weak 2" tale (19 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you bid?

1. double (3 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

2. pass (10 votes [52.63%])

Percentage of vote: 52.63%

3. 6 spades (6 votes [31.58%])

Percentage of vote: 31.58%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-March-02, 03:57

Due to system restrictions your options over 4X were only pass or redouble, redouble showing no shortness (first step). Note that without the double you would had answered 4NT (heart shortness).

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2017-March-02, 04:45

Since p chose not to ask for keycards, there is a hint that our hand might not disappoint. So I think I am worth a pass which should be more encouraging than double, assuming we are in an FP situation (this might not even be obvious but I think we are).
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-02, 05:01

Would 4 over 2N have had no systemic meaning ? If so I might have done that to show the extra spade and lack of defence/interest in playing anywhere else.

#4 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2017-March-02, 11:01

my gut feeling is 6s, our hand in context is very good
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#5 User is offline   bigbenvic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-March-02, 16:13

What's partner looking for? a 7th spade is nice and might be our 12th trick but often he's looking at stopping them getting to 2 before that.

He knows I have a shortage, what did 5d ask (or show)?

My gut feel is that he's holding AK of trumps and is looking for an outside card in the right spot to go with the singleton.

I don't have one so will take the action that shuts him down the most at this point.

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-02, 17:30

For this to be a FP situation it needs to be obvious even for my cat. I asked my cat, she looked confused. So it is not a FP for me. Which means I pass. But if you guys have agreements and this is a FP situation, then I double.
Basically, after I preempted with junk at these colors, I already have overbid and I am rejecting anything and everything, pd is all by himself. If he can not bid something by himself after I opened at these colors, we probably can't make anything. Btw, this does not mean I hate the preempt with this hand, it is very aggressive but I probably would do too with a pd who knows me.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-03, 05:09

MrAce, on 2017-March-02, 17:30, said:

For this to be a FP situation it needs to be obvious even for my cat. I asked my cat, she looked confused. So it is not a FP for me. Which means I pass. But if you guys have agreements and this is a FP situation, then I double.
Basically, after I preempted with junk at these colors, I already have overbid and I am rejecting anything and everything, pd is all by himself. If he can not bid something by himself after I opened at these colors, we probably can't make anything. Btw, this does not mean I hate the preempt with this hand, it is very aggressive but I probably would do too with a pd who knows me.

I play comparatively few forcing passes and this is an easy FP for me (and my cat). 4C clearly sets up a game force.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#8 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-03, 12:09

w/o knowing what 4d or 4h would have meant (over 4cx) we cannot readily imagine different hands p might have for this bidding. Having said that it is hard to imagine we have whatever p might need to make 6. Surely QJ and out of spades is maybe even sub minimum. We do not have a void I am not sure that is enough to move) which at least would be a positive feature. If we had as much as the club Q I might be more interested in case p had something like AKxxx AKQJx void Kxx. If we cannot set 6d p is playing around far too much at this vulnerability. SOOOOOOOOO with nothing of interest I am afraid I am going to x with my zero trick subminimum hand. Lead a heart if it goes PPP.

#9 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2017-March-03, 18:36

6 for ODR reasons. Agree that 4 earlier was a better description but things are as they are. For me, a pass here shows 1st round control (void).
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#10 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-March-03, 23:54

Fluffy, on 2017-March-02, 03:57, said:

Due to system restrictions your options over 4X were only pass or redouble, redouble showing no shortness (first step). Note that without the double you would had answered 4NT (heart shortness).

Agree with Helene_T. I rank
  • Pass = INV. For many this is a "Forcing Pass" context. Partner seems to have the minors sewn up. You have no defence, an extra trump, and the control, that partner seems to want.
  • 6 = NAT. Similar reasons. Even when 6 is hopeless, green opponents may take a phantom save.
  • Double = PEN. Perhaps you should warn partner that you are minimum and lack tops. He should have enough to defeat 6. Although we might be in danger of conceding a ruff and a sluff on the lead. :)

#11 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2017-March-04, 09:14

My partner passed on the grounds that he had the best singleton and an extra spade. I though he had a good hand in context or a minimum vul vs not opening, which gave him plenty of room for a side ace or a void. A yarborough 7321 didn't cross my mind.

I had

AKxx
Kxx
-
KQxxxx

In retrospect I think partner would bid slam himself with a side ace or a void.

Spoiler

#12 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2017-March-12, 13:22

For me 5D is a void, so despite having a crappy hand for a unf preempt, I have no wasted values in D, the best singleton and the perfect shape (i dont think a void would be such a plus when responder is marked for 3 keycards. So for me its close between X and pass (forcing even for the squirrels on my street).

I dont understand however why responder just doesnt jump to 5D rather than askign for a singleton that he doesnt really care about.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#13 User is offline   cartruck 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-20, 11:44

Why would 2 = a weak 2 in a major? I use a modified version of Flannery here. Why would you have an agreement like that to make you start guessing right off the bat? Sounds like a system I would like to play against. lol

#14 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-20, 16:58

cartruck, on 2017-June-20, 11:44, said:

Why would 2 = a weak 2 in a major? I use a modified version of Flannery here. Why would you have an agreement like that to make you start guessing right off the bat? Sounds like a system I would like to play against. lol

Multi 2D is a very popular convention, far more common than flannery when talking on a worldwide scale. There are loads of topics here on whether or not it is worth it. One of the big things going for it is it is difficult to defend against.
Wayne Somerville

#15 User is offline   cartruck 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-20, 17:08

manudude03, on 2017-June-20, 16:58, said:

Multi 2D is a very popular convention, far more common than flannery when talking on a worldwide scale. There are loads of topics here on whether or not it is worth it. One of the big things going for it is it is difficult to defend against.

I've never played something like that, but it seems easy for the opponents to preempt and scuttle their bidding. Like I said before, tell your story as quickly and as accurately as possible. Need to tell your story fast, imo.

#16 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-20, 17:25

cartruck, on 2017-June-20, 17:08, said:

I've never played something like that, but it seems easy for the opponents to preempt and scuttle their bidding. Like I said before, tell your story as quickly and as accurately as possible. Need to tell your story fast, imo.

Not that easy unfortunately. Jumps should be strong anyway - "never preempt over a preempt", and then you have things like (2D)-3C-P-3H/S is that natural or stopper showing? If the former, how do you find out if you can stop them running their 6 card suit, and if the latter, how do you find your major fit after partner overcalls in a minor. This is just one of many problems when trying to defend.

When it comes to bidding accurately, there's no doubt that standard weak 2s fare better, but multi is tougher to defend against than normal weak 2s. IIRC, even Meckwell had a misunderstanding over a defense to multi in a recent-ish World Championship (I think it might have been Philadelphia 2010) and they are often renowned for having the tightest system understandings in the world.

I have also personally seen my fair share of multi-defense disasters where the opps play in my suit, or a two-way double go badly wrong.
Wayne Somerville

#17 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-June-20, 18:09

benlessard, on 2017-March-12, 13:22, said:

For me 5D is a void, so despite having a crappy hand for a unf preempt, I have no wasted values in D, the best singleton and the perfect shape (i dont think a void would be such a plus when responder is marked for 3 keycards. So for me its close between X and pass (forcing even for the squirrels on my street).

I dont understand however why responder just doesnt jump to 5D rather than askign for a singleton that he doesnt really care about.

My guess is he didn't jump to 5D because he didn't think there was much chance for 11 tricks in the 0-3 fit.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users