Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Talks, awards, and such

#1 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-March-28, 14:12

It crossed my mind that there could be interest in talks, awards, talks about awards, and so on when they have some general appeal. I post one below, i invite other postings.

This is in mathematics. Yves Meyer receives the Abel Prize.
http://www.ams.org/news?news_id=3393

The Abel prize is named after Niels Abel, a mathematician if the early nineteenth century. Despite his death before his 27th birthday, we still study Abelian groups, Abelian initegrals, Abelian summation and so on. A smart guy, you might say.

You will have trouble with mathematical details in this talk, most will, I do, but it is worth watching partly for the general idea of it

But also it is a fine display of the international nature of mathematics. The prize is given by the Norwegian academy to a French mathematician, Yves Meyer. . An Australian-American mathematician, Terrence Tau, born in Australia now at UCLA, talks about Meyer's work after which Tau and Meyer have an extended telephone conversation during which mathematicians of several countries are discussed.

In the world today, and maybe in the world always, it can seem that people have forgotten how to like each other and how to be truly pleased by the accomplishments of others. I see this video as an example showing that it does not have to be that way.

Anyway, if the idea appeals to you feel free to toss in other links to other talks that might be of interest.Doesn't have to relate at all to this one. That's the point.
Ken

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-March-29, 08:31

Don't know much about Abel or the award in his name, except I remember this silly math joke:

What's purple and commutes?
Spoiler

#3 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-29, 16:26

View Postbarmar, on 2017-March-29, 08:31, said:

Don't know much about Abel or the award in his name, except I remember this silly math joke:

What's purple and commutes?
Spoiler

Yes, I didn't even have to click on spoiler. From back in the days when people wrote on walls, my favorite bit of graffiti: Free Abelian Groups.

Those who need this explained will surely be just as happy without the explanation.
Ken

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-March-30, 00:39

There are Talks about Algebraic Geometry on U-tube by Arend Bayer (Cherdano) His research earns him prizes.
  • 2015 Adams prize (Univ of Cambridge).
  • 2016 Whitehead prize (London Math Soc).
  • 2016 Whittaker Prize (Edinburgh Math Soc).

Appropriately, Arend is interested in Bridgeland stability conditions :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users