#1 User is offline   henriqued 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-February-25, 04:22

Yesterday, during a duplicate tourney, I had the following hand:

A J 10 8 5
K 10 9 7 6 4
J

I was the dealer and opened this hand with 1 . My partner had 18 honor points and we ended up in a 5 contract, 1 down, whilst 4 or 5 would be made...

We play SAYC and I am not sure if I did right openning 1 and I would like to know your opinion: - should I open 1 ? 2 ? Pass?
Thank you,
"henriqued"

#2 User is offline   silvr bull 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-February-25, 04:32

Whenever there is doubt, my preference is to limit my hand as soon as I can, so partner does not imagine that I have more than a minimum. Here, I would pass quickly, and hope that my RHO opens 1m, or even 1NT. A Micheals 2m que or a Capp 2D, could start a perfect auction for us.

#3 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-February-25, 07:27

View Postsilvr bull, on 2017-February-25, 04:32, said:

Here, I would pass quickly,

Me too. If the opponents open the bidding I can show both majors at once and get to hearts when partner has equal length.

I would open with different 2-suiters (and the higher ranking suit) if missing the spades where I might get shut out of the bidding.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#4 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2017-February-25, 11:56

Playing a limited opening forcing 1 system I'd probably open 1, but playing my typical US 2/1 I'd pass and try to get in later with Michaels.

#5 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2017-February-25, 12:40

In 2017 where a passout is non-existent, Im fine with a pass because Im going to be able to show both my suits at my next opportunity. If my opponents bid one of them, I can decide if I want to compete and if partner opens Im also well placed.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#6 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-25, 16:24

I really don't like opening 1. I don't mind overbidding in order to get my suits in, but here I am overbidding in order to distort my suit lengths. I'd rather open 1 and give up on 5-3 spade fits. But still I'd rather pass.

Switch the majors, and a 1 opening becomes much more interesting (or a 2 opening planning to bid hearts next - but the suits aren't good enough for that in my view).
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#7 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-26, 09:53

1 is fine, but obviously not foolproof.

#8 User is online   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-26, 13:11

While this hand is a tad light for my taste (change the heart K to the A for me to open) I agree with the 1s bid vs 1h. Being able to show both suits is so much easier when you start with 1s but that is not the end of the story. Say the bidding goes 1s 3d p p would you feel better placed if you had opened 1s or 1h? I would not hesitate to bid 3h IF I had opened 1s but I would not be happy to bid 3h if my original choice was 1h. No matter what you choose there will be times it goes wrong but opening 1s will normally cut down on the number of bad results. good question

#9 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-February-26, 13:47

One problem with opening a hand based more on distribution than high cards is that the value of the hand only comes when a fit is found - and the better the fit the better the hand becomes. Even then, it can be a problem of getting too high. At some point there needs to be a bottom range on openings, and in my view this hand is quite a bit lower than an opening bid.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#10 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2017-February-26, 14:45

I'd pass here also.

The J is virtually worthless.

As others have pointed out, if you pass it's not very likely that the hand will be passed out. So it's very likely that you'll have a second chance to bid. Hopefully, you'll have a chance to come in and compete vigorously. In doing so, you'll have painted a good picture of your hand for your partner. If you don't have enough to open and then compete, your values must be based on distribution.

When you open a hand, your partner will have certain expectations about what you have. If you're super aggressive, then it can be difficult to convince partner that you've pushed the envelope and don't have what you "promised". Partners get stubborn that way sometimes.

One good bidding principle to keep in mind, "It's possible to limit your hand and then show extras, but near impossible to overbid and try to show less then expected."

#11 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2017-February-26, 18:34

Happy to go slow owning the two top ranking suits. Pass.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-26, 18:44

Pass for me.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#13 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-26, 20:15

View Postgszes, on 2017-February-26, 13:11, said:

Being able to show both suits is so much easier when you start with 1s but that is not the end of the story. Say the bidding goes 1s 3d p p would you feel better placed if you had opened 1s or 1h? I would not hesitate to bid 3h IF I had opened 1s but I would not be happy to bid 3h if my original choice was 1h. No matter what you choose there will be times it goes wrong but opening 1s will normally cut down on the number of bad results. good question

Interesting auction you have there - we have an 8-count, LHO preempts, yet neither partner or RHO bids?

Meanwhile, are you really so well-placed after opening 1? Bid 3 now, and you may end up playing a 5-2 fit instead of a 6-3 fit (partner may expect you to be 6=5 in the majors).
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#14 User is online   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-28, 17:36

View Postcherdano, on 2017-February-26, 20:15, said:

Interesting auction you have there - we have an 8-count, LHO preempts, yet neither partner or RHO bids?

Meanwhile, are you really so well-placed after opening 1? Bid 3 now, and you may end up playing a 5-2 fit instead of a 6-3 fit (partner may expect you to be 6=5 in the majors).

it is just as reasonable for me to be 65 56 or 55 with this bidding and p choosing to "decide" I must be 65 seems rather short sighted. (with 23 in the majors and no desire to go higher
will readily pass). Sometimes they will be 22 and guess wrong that is life.

#15 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-February-28, 18:30

double posted
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users