BBO Discussion Forums: When can you pass a forcing NT? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

When can you pass a forcing NT? Some rebids are difficult!

Poll: When can you pass a forcing NT? (43 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you do after Partner's forcing 1NT?

1. Pass (2 votes [4.65%])

Percentage of vote: 4.65%

2. 2C (19 votes [44.19%])

Percentage of vote: 44.19%

3. 2D (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. 2H (18 votes [41.86%])

Percentage of vote: 41.86%

5. 2S (3 votes [6.98%])

Percentage of vote: 6.98%

6. 2NT (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Other? (1 votes [2.33%])

Percentage of vote: 2.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   silvr bull 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-February-22, 10:55

Matchpoints, Vul against not. Your bid agreements include 5 card majors and 1NT is forcing for one round of bids. What call do you make?

#2 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-February-22, 11:20

View Postsilvr bull, on 2017-February-22, 10:55, said:

Matchpoints, Vul against not. Your bid agreements include 5 card majors and 1NT is forcing for one round of bids. What call do you make?

The usual rebid in these situations is 2C but with such good hearts I'd be inclined to rebid 2H. I certainly wouldn't pass.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#3 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-22, 11:52

• Flannery players are asking "why are you asking this question? It's an impossible situation; which is why we don't have it."
  • ACBL Standard (to the point where it is an explicit exception to Alertability) is that with 4=5=2=2 and not enough strength to reverse, you bid 2.
  • If you force me to not bid "standard", I'll look at AKQxx and say it's a 6-carder, and rebid 2. But with AKQ2 KQ642 42 T3, yeah, no.
  • Pass comes about 7th in my options with this hand, just slightly behind sudden heart attack at the table.

When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#4 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2017-February-22, 12:19

2 is the book bid, but I would have opened 1N.

#5 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2017-February-22, 13:22

Yes you can pass but this hand is just too good. Id bid 2C and its not my style to open 1N
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#6 User is offline   silvr bull 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-22, 13:32

I guess I should have mentioned in the OP that we open 12-14 NT, so this hand is not only the wrong shape for us to open 1NT, but it is also too strong in playing strength.

#7 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2017-February-22, 15:00

If partner has a 3 card limit raise or a 10-12 balanced invite, you want to be in game, so pass is clearly wrong.

Either 2C or 2H are ok here.

#8 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2017-February-22, 15:04

deleted nonsense

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-February-22, 16:01

When can you pass a forcing NT?

Whenever I have a hand that would not accept any invitation and when I have no other clear place to play the partscore, then I pass.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#10 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-22, 16:28

View PostMrAce, on 2017-February-22, 16:01, said:

Whenever I have a hand that would not accept any invitation and when I have no other clear place to play the partscore, then I pass.
I have had partners bid a forcing NT with 13 or 14 because the suit they would otherwise bid might get me too excited for slam purposes (we don't play the ubiquitous 2C GF on anything response) so for me the answer is "never".

For example, partner bids a forcing NT on Ax, Jxxx, Jxxx, AQJ after I open 1S planning to bid the "obvious" game based on my rebid, rather than bidding 2D and having me go ape with a diamond fit.

Of course, it's "semiforcing" by a passed hand since Drury takes care of the 3-card limit raises.

And I concur, you bid 2C or 2H with your actual hand. It's a 5-loser hand! Why on earth would you want to pass?

EDIT: The Kaplan-Rubens hand evaluator says the actual hand is worth 16.5 points.

Evaluation of the OP hand

Second EDIT: I hope I can convince the person who voted for PASS to change his/her mind.

#11 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-22, 16:40

View Postsilvr bull, on 2017-February-22, 13:32, said:

I guess I should have mentioned in the OP that we open 12-14 NT, so this hand is not only the wrong shape for us to open 1NT, but it is also too strong in playing strength.
In essence you answered your own question. If it's too strong to open 1NT, then it's too strong to pass a forcing notrump (which could easily have some hands that would make game opposite a 12-14 NT.)

#12 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2017-February-22, 17:40

The example hand is exactly the reason Bill Flannery of Pittsburgh came up with his convention.

Nonetheless, not playing Flannery, the standard bid would be 2 . Whatever partner does over that will probably be all right.

On a more general level, passing a forcing NT, usually shows a flattish absolute minimum hand with a bad trump suit. It doesn't come up very often. Something like AK6 107542 QJ3 Q6.

I'll admit to having passed a forcing NT something like no more than half a dozen times in 40+ years (thousands of hands) after a Forcing NT response.

#13 User is offline   JLilly 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-22, 23:41

I think the forcingness of the 1NT should lighten the burden for making a reverse, not that I'd bid 2S in this instance even with say, an extra queen and ten in the non-spade suits.

#14 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2017-February-23, 00:29

We play Precision and this 1 NT is 100 p.c. Forcing for one round.It usually requests opener to bid his longer minor suit .With equal length in minors opener bids 2Club.However,this hand with such a strong heart suit has to respond 2 H. 2C bid with just two rags is simply weird bid.Playing standard We open this hand 2D ( Flannery) since we have found that a weak 2D opening fails to impress the opponents and serves no purpose whatever against advanced or expert opponents.To bid a minor with only xx in the suit is stretching the things too far.

#15 User is offline   aawk 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-23, 02:02

If 1nt is limited with 5-11 HCP pass is my bid.

If 1nt is unlimited a 4522 pattern is a problem hand which has to bid trough 2 or 2 if agreed on.

A possible solution for this rebid problem with a 100 % forcing 1nt is :

1 - 1

A : 0-3 card 6-11 HCP
B : 4+ card 11+ HCP game forcing

1 - 1nt

4-5 card 6-11 HCP

1 - 2

6+ card s 6-10 HCP

#16 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-23, 02:47

When one of your opponents shows you his 2=5=3=3 hand with 20 HCPs.

On this hand, you even have two possibilities: 2 and 2. Why would you pass?

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#17 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-23, 06:32

You should never pass a forcing bid just because you don't like the options available. You just have to make the least worse bid. In this case I'd be inclined to overstate my strength a little rather than give the wrong idea about my distribution. Hence my think I would reluctantly opt for 2S. It is a five loser hand with all the strength in the long suits, but it would be nice to have another king. I guess the other option is 2C which might work well if partner passes or bids 2D or... Hmmm, maybe 2C is better......

#18 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2017-February-23, 10:55

As far as I'm concerned, passing a *forcing* 1NT is a psychic call, and deserves all the consideration any other psychic call does. If it gets a good score, great (but if partner starts misbidding her hand in case you pass *this one*, then nothing short of the good score winning the NABC+ event is good enough); if it gets a bad score, no matter *what stupid thing* partner did (including revoking and misclaiming), it's 100% your fault; if partner has said it's a PLM if you psych, it's grounds for never playing again; ...

Those people that want to pass with 11, 12, bad 13 (good 10?) 5M332s, fine; but you're playing a *semi-forcing* 1NT; you need to Announce it as such; and you've worked your system such that it's going to win more often than it loses. Fine.

Having said all of that, this hand is closer to a reverse than a bad flat opener; as I said, I rate dying higher than passing on this one.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#19 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-23, 11:34

What is PLM?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#20 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2017-February-23, 13:37

View PostVampyr, on 2017-February-23, 11:34, said:

What is PLM?

Partnership Limiting Move?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic