• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2017-February-22, 09:45

#2 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-22, 10:12

Seems like a partnership style sort of thing. If you play traditional overcalls then a pass seems thematic; if very sound overcalls then you owe partner a 2 advance. Nothing else springs to mind if you are searching for LAs.
(-: Zel :-)

#3 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-22, 10:27

i would hope partner can make a spade but i'd redouble if they told me otherwise.

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-22, 15:54

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-February-22, 10:12, said:

Seems like a partnership style sort of thing. If you play traditional overcalls then a pass seems thematic; if very sound overcalls then you owe partner a 2 advance. Nothing else springs to mind if you are searching for LAs.

I do not think I owe pd anything other than pass regardless of overcall style. 1 shows about 7-17 hcp, if you are conservative overcaller than this becomes 10-18 hcp. Bidding here is shooting for a very tiny target imo.
It may be a surprise to you but conservative and traditional overcallers are way too traditional that most of them do not even make overcalls with anything more than 15. When they see 16 they start DBL. Their conservatism is mostly about their minimum hands. One thing conservatives do not like is the wide range of anything.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-22, 15:59

View PostMrAce, on 2017-February-22, 15:54, said:

When they see 16 they start DBL.
I would think double and correct would start somewhere around 18 or 19 depending on level.

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-22, 16:06

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2017-February-22, 15:59, said:

I would think double and correct would start somewhere around 18 or 19 depending on level.

That is true for most of us. Not much for old timers where they are used to overcalls 8-15 and 11-15.
Now that it is 7-17 and (9-10) 11-17, they do not like to change the way they used to play.
I personally overcall all the way up to 18 unless it is a special 18.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2017-February-22, 17:07

Pass.

The stiff yells misfit. With only an 8 count, it's best to sit for the moment.

#8 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-26, 16:36

At MP (where searching for thin games is unimportant) I would pass. At IMPS game is still a realistic possibility so I feel compelled to keep the bidding open in some way. In this case I would hold nose (playing behind screens I presume) and bid 1N. I hate it but I have no strong feeling game is available and 1n seems to get us in the least amount of trouble when there is no game. If p were to conjure up a 2h bid I would squeak out a 3h bid. Trying a NF 2c bid with this "suit" seems wrong since there is no guarantee p clubs are any better than our spades and we are a level higher in an inferior scoring strain.

#9 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-26, 19:30

View Postgszes, on 2017-February-26, 16:36, said:

At IMPS game is still a realistic possibility so I feel compelled to keep the bidding open in some way. In this case I would hold nose (playing behind screens I presume) and bid 1N.
1NT is a lot easier to double than 1S. I think down 2 or 3 doubled is more likely than bidding and making game.

The only good news is that with what I've been seeing as answers on lead problems here (when in doubt, go passive), you may get the first four tricks with a heart lead. Unless, of course, West had a penalty pass of 1S...

#10 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-27, 04:32

View PostMrAce, on 2017-February-22, 15:54, said:

I do not think I owe pd anything other than pass regardless of overcall style. 1 shows about 7-17 hcp, if you are conservative overcaller than this becomes 10-18 hcp. Bidding here is shooting for a very tiny target imo.
It may be a surprise to you but conservative and traditional overcallers are way too traditional that most of them do not even make overcalls with anything more than 15. When they see 16 they start DBL. Their conservatism is mostly about their minimum hands. One thing conservatives do not like is the wide range of anything.

I was thinking of CY's style where overcalls are fairly close to opening bids but even there I am not sure if he would want to advance on this hand.
(-: Zel :-)

#11 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-28, 05:15

I have bid 1NT (8-12 HCP) all my life and rarely regret it.

Rainer Herrmann

#12 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-February-28, 07:02

View Postnullve, on 2017-February-22, 09:45, said:

Proverbially, I rank
  • Pass = NAT. Let sleeping dogs lie.
  • 1N = NAT. Sow the wind...

Page 1 of 1