• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Face down lead

#1 User is offline   timjand 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-February-21, 06:49

EBU law 41A: "the defender on presumed declarer's left makes the opening lead face down".

I'm slightly puzzled by the way the law continues:

"The face-down lead may be withdrawn only upon instruction of the Director after an irregularity".

The most common reason for the lead to be withdrawn is because the wrong defender has led - which after all is the whole point of leading face down. Personally I have never regarded the making and withdrawing of a face-down lead in this case as an irregularity worth calling the Director for. However the law does not explicitly state what should happen if the wrong defender has led face down. Note that as far as I can tell the card is not "played" until it is faced so maybe we are meant to treat it more as a kind of statement of intent to lead than as an actual lead - except in the specific case where the right defender has led face down and now wants to change their mind (maybe after partner has clarified the meaning of bids). In which case it is Director time.

Second part of this query, is it OK for the about-to-be dummy to inform the face-down leader that the lead is not in their hand? Again, I would presume yes since they are not yet dummy?

Tim

#2 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-February-21, 07:02

View Posttimjand, on 2017-February-21, 06:49, said:

EBU law 41A: "the defender on presumed declarer's left makes the opening lead face down".

I'm slightly puzzled by the way the law continues:

"The face-down lead may be withdrawn only upon instruction of the Director after an irregularity".

The most common reason for the lead to be withdrawn is because the wrong defender has lead - which after all is the whole point of leading face down. Personally I have never regarded the making and withdrawing of a face-down lead in this case as an irregularity worth calling the Director for. However the law does not explicitly state what should happen if the wrong defender has lead face down. Note that as far as I can tell the card is not "played" until it is faced so maybe we are meant to treat it more as a kind of statement of intent to lead than as an actual lead - except in the specific case where the right defender has lead face down and now wants to change their mind (maybe after partner has clarified the meaning of bids). In which case it is Director time.

Second part of this query, is it OK for the about-to-be dummy to inform the face-down leader that the lead is not in their hand? Again, I would presume yes since they are not yet dummy?

Tim

The most common irregularity leading to a face-down lead being changed is when misinformation comes to light at this stage. It's important that the TD be called because it may be that the auction can be re-opened and the person on lead needs to understand that they can only change the lead if it was made because of the misinformation, not for any other reason.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#3 User is offline   timjand 

• PipPip

Posted 2017-February-21, 07:24

View Postgordontd, on 2017-February-21, 07:02, said:

The most common irregularity leading to a face-down lead being changed is when misinformation comes to light at this stage. It's important that the TD be called because it may be that the auction can be re-opened and the person on lead needs to understand that they can only change the lead if it was made because of the misinformation, not for any other reason.

Thanks Gordon, but are you agreeing that the face-down lead from the wrong hand is not really an irregularity, or if it is, a very minor one?

Tim

#4 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-21, 07:38

View Posttimjand, on 2017-February-21, 07:24, said:

Thanks Gordon, but are you agreeing that the face-down lead from the wrong hand is not really an irregularity, or if it is, a very minor one?

Tim

I think it's definitely an irregularity, as it's a deviation from correct procedure. However, it's one with little consequence usually.

Another good reason to insist the director has to allow a change of lead is that players sometimes try to change their card when they hear answers to partner's questions, while the lead is face down. If there was no misinformation during the auction, and the opening leader could have asked the same questions before choosing a card, they have no right to change their lead now.

Most of the time when the wrong defender thought they were on lead, there's no problem and the lead is withdrawn without bothering the TD.

#5 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-21, 07:43

View Posttimjand, on 2017-February-21, 07:24, said:

Tim

From the White Book:

8.41.2 Retraction of a face-down lead
This should never be withdrawn without the TD’s permission. If it is out of turn then it may be
returned to player’s hand without penalty, although exceptionally there may be unauthorised
information considerations.
The most common reason for withdrawing a face-down lead is when there was some
misinformation which has just come to light. In this case it is important that the TD remembers
that the auction may be re-opened under Law 21, and the last pass by the non-offending side
may be changed if it is plausible that it would be different with correct information.
Exceptionally, the side that made the opening lead face-down could become the declaring side.

Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#6 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-21, 08:01

Ideally, a member of the declaring side should correct the misinformation before the face-down lead is made, but sometimes the sequence of events is too fast. So when the opening leader's partner takes the opportunity to ask questions while the bidding cards are displayed, normally no MI will come to light unless the declaring side has a disagreement about what an unexplained call means.

The past tense and past participle of "lead" is "led".
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#7 User is offline   timjand 

• PipPip

Posted 2017-February-21, 09:11

View Postgordontd, on 2017-February-21, 07:43, said:

From the White Book:

Thanks! So just to wrap this up, is it OK for the about-to-be dummy to point out that the face-down lead is from the wrong hand?

Tim

#8 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-21, 09:21

View Posttimjand, on 2017-February-21, 09:11, said:

Thanks! So just to wrap this up, is it OK for the about-to-be dummy to point out that the face-down lead is from the wrong hand?

Tim

Yes and then the director should be called, but not often is!
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#9 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-21, 10:37

View PostVampyr, on 2017-February-21, 08:01, said:

Ideally, a member of the declaring side should correct the misinformation before the face-down lead is made, but sometimes the sequence of events is too fast.

Indeed. Sometimes the too fast opening lead is face up. Now there may be a problem. If putative dummy was about to correct his partner's mis-explanation, he can no longer do so. This is because doing so calls attention to an irregularity, and dummy becomes dummy when the opening lead is faced (see the definitions in chapter one of the laws). Dummy is not permitted to call attention to an irregularity until after the play.

Proper procedure here would be for dummy to wait until the end of play, then call the director and explain in the director's presence that there was a mis-explanation in the auction, but that he was unable to correct it before the opening lead was chosen because of the tempo of the opening lead and the fact that leader led face up. If the mis-explanation caused damage, the TD has to adjust the score. In such a case, I would be inclined to issue the opening leader a PP, even though leading is a "does" situation, and even though in such a situation the law does not suggest that the violation be penalized. That's probably controversial. B-)

Hm. The White Book, §8.41.3, says "it is possible to retract a faced opening lead if it can be done before dummy is faced." In the particular case in my last paragraph, does this imply that dummy should call the director and correct the MI? In the more general case, I suppose if someone else (i.e., not dummy) calls attention to an irregularity, it could happen that the faced opening lead would be retracted. What's the disposition of that card? Major penalty card, I guess.

In practice, I would not be surprised to see dummy correct the MI, without calling the director, even after the face up opening lead. :(
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#10 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2017-February-21, 17:36

Law 47E allows a change of play based on misinformation. (but an opening lead cannot be changed if dummy has been put down). In EBUland directors are taught the 5 options, but, certainly in the club director's course, no mention is made of the right of the defender to withdraw the card. The law does say that there is no further rectification. Law 49 (exposure of a defender's cards) specifically refers to law 47E so the card would NOT be a penalty card and in fact 16D would kick in so the information is AI for defenders but UI for declarer.

Dummy becomes dummy when the opening lead is faced so presumably cannot draw attention to an irregularity committed by declarer BUT:-

I am not sure of this but the law for being aware of your own misexplanation (16F4) states that "If a player subsequently realises that his own explanation was erroneous or incomplete then he MUST (the strongest word, a serious matter indeed) call the director". So I think that dummy will have to call the director to correct his own misexplanation - but not that of his partner.
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#11 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2017-February-21, 23:05

I agree you still have to correct your own misexplanation immediately, even as dummy. It's Law 20F4.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#12 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-22, 02:00

View PostVampyr, on 2017-February-21, 08:01, said:

The past tense and past participle of "lead" is "led".

As a non-native speaker, I don't want to be pedantic (and I may be wrong), but shouldn't this be: 'The past tense and past participle of "lead" are "led".'?

I would think that in a language where "the police" and "a set" deserve a plural, an enumeration (even if it contains only two elements) should deserve one too.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#13 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-22, 02:07

View Postblackshoe, on 2017-February-21, 23:05, said:

I agree you still have to correct your own misexplanation immediately, even as dummy. It's Law 20F4.

Yep - sorry mistyped.

It might be preferable if, the opening lead having been withdrawn, we could return to the auction period and apply law 21B1a, however law 41C makes that impossible and the director may have to offer an adjusted score.
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#14 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-22, 04:19

View Postweejonnie, on 2017-February-22, 02:07, said:

It might be preferable if, the opening lead having been withdrawn, we could return to the auction period and apply law 21B1a, however law 41C makes that impossible and the director may have to offer an adjusted score.

The auction period ends when the opening lead is faced.

Until then the auction may well be rolled back under Law 21B1a (in case of misinformation being revealed).

Note that the auction period does not end by any of Dummy's cards being faced!
Until the opening lead is faced such cards are cards exposed durinig the auction period and Law 24 applies.

#15 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-22, 06:21

View PostTrinidad, on 2017-February-22, 02:00, said:

As a non-native speaker, I don't want to be pedantic (and I may be wrong), but shouldn't this be: 'The past tense and past participle of "lead" are "led".'?

I would think that in a language where "the police" and "a set" deserve a plural, an enumeration (even if it contains only two elements) should deserve one too.

Rik

Possibly. I thought "are" seemed a little odd.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#16 User is offline   sanst 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-22, 12:49

View Postgordontd, on 2017-February-21, 07:02, said:

The most common cause for a lead, face down or not, is tthat he player who puts the card on the table thinks it's his or her turn to lead. Even when the bidding cards are still in clear view, which more often than not is not the case, the player makes his lead, hopefully face down. If the TD is called every time this happens, he is constantly running from table to table. I've only been called for a LOOT face up.
Joost

#17 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2017-February-22, 15:02

The TD is frequently not called when he should be. There are several possible reasons for this, none of them good.
--------------------

#18 User is online   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-February-23, 09:37

If the TD is called, what else is he going to do but tell the player to take back his card and instruct the correct defender to make his lead? There's no other rectification as long as the card hasn't been faced.

#19 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-23, 09:51

View Postbarmar, on 2017-February-23, 09:37, said:

If the TD is called, what else is he going to do but tell the player to take back his card and instruct the correct defender to make his lead? There's no other rectification as long as the card hasn't been faced.

In cases of MI, the TD may consider offering the leader his last call back.
In other cases, the TD should also warn the actual leader that they should carefully avoid taking advantage from the knowledge of the fact that their partner has tried to lead, or in the manner in which they have tried to lead. (73C)(At least 1 would).

#20 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-23, 09:57

View Postweejonnie, on 2017-February-23, 09:51, said:

In cases of MI, the TD may consider offering the leader his last call back.

NO !!!!!
In cases of MI the TD may offer the last defender to call his last call back.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users