BBO Discussion Forums: How do you teach young beginners? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How do you teach young beginners?

#21 User is offline   JLilly 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-April-19, 17:30

Mycroft, thanks. When I play with strangers on BBO, if anything I feel that I interpret calls or plays by ptr in a way that may or may not be conventional or play-conventional and I make the wrong guess, and I feel stupid for having guessed or I feel that I'm guessing on being stupid. Of course, it's not stupidity -- my knowlegdge and play is stupid for expert players; novices' play is stupid for me. That's fine. I'm looking for someone of a similar level of aptitude and interest in bridge, and random BBO tables haven't worked for me.

#22 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-April-19, 21:24

View PostJLilly, on 2017-April-19, 17:25, said:

"If you are looking for a player that is somewhat serious about being/becoming competitive or just improving, try ACBL Individuals and take note not only of partners but opponents as well. "

Gghwhiz, is this a forum available on BBO? Thanks :)

The Indies are a total crapshoot with more than a few self described experts that can't follow suit to self described novices that are actually pretty good.

I'll 2nd, 3rd and 4th mycrofts recommendation for BIL and Maureen Hall who started the whole thing is a sweetheart.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#23 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-April-20, 08:22

View PostJLilly, on 2017-April-19, 17:25, said:

"If you are looking for a player that is somewhat serious about being/becoming competitive or just improving, try ACBL Individuals and take note not only of partners but opponents as well. "

Gghwhiz, is this a forum available on BBO? Thanks :)

It's not a forum, it's a type of tournament on BBO.

#24 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2017-May-05, 14:13

View Postmicsfyuen, on 2017-February-20, 21:10, said:

A friend and I went back to our secondary school to teach bridge lately. There are around 10 students, they are age 12-15, with strong math background, but 0 experience in bridge. Our school dominated the local high school championships 10-15 years ago (won 3 champions and 2 runner-ups in 5 years), so we have high hopes in bringing back a competitive team.

We have a session of 1.5 hr once every week after school. In the first few weeks, we did not do much on teaching, mainly just trying to get to know these young people and watch them playing freely. After three weeks of observation, I find these young people are passionate and have potential to play really well (Without any teaching, they manage the entries properly and they know they need to establish long suit).

We would like to establish a method to help them learn better. Please advise if you have experience on teaching young beginners.

We started actually teaching techniques last week. We started our session with 20-30 minutes teaching, using the "learn to play bridge - basic" program, then play team match in the remaining time. We have also written up some notes on bidding system and carding agreement for them to follow, but we are not pushing them to memorize the system, they just look at the notes when bidding.

Look forward to hearing some advise.

I recall that Ron Klinger wrote a book entitled "Teach your child Bridge" This could be a great handbook for teachers
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#25 User is offline   JLilly 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-May-06, 01:07

View Postbarmar, on 2017-April-20, 08:22, said:

It's not a forum, it's a type of tournament on BBO.

Ah, okay, thanks :)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users