BBO Discussion Forums: This cost me thousands of euros - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

This cost me thousands of euros

#21 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2017-February-21, 14:35

View Postmsjennifer, on 2017-February-21, 10:08, said:

If ,as you say ,East holds both Kings then no need to squeeze him.Just take finesse and claim.

The squeeze play allow to avoid finesse or is used when there is ambiguity about position. I don't want to guess (i. e. see 9 in heart suit that can be in W or in E).

#22 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-21, 14:42

View Postahydra, on 2017-February-21, 11:20, said:

Sorry for off-topic, but how would you call the triple squeeze that Lovera suggests?

N: - x x xx
E: K J10 K -
S: Q Q9 Q -

It looks like some sort of "triple squeeze without the count" as North has two squeeze cards to cash but only the first one actually squeezes East.

ahydra

The "triple sequenze without the court" is an indirect squeeze so called because opp are involved on play after squeeze card is lead. This mine is a direct squeeze instead and is (Third type in Love terminology) a triple squeeze with one loser acting a trick before last free winner and gain only a trick (opp are not involved but for discarding).

#23 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-22, 01:02

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2017-February-20, 12:07, said:

So I'll advance the Q. I presume they are ducking this (if they win, I'll provide a solution but I don't think they're going to make my life easy.

So they won my Q and returned the 10. I cash the third heart. If West has the fourth heart, I'll cash the DA and run clubs and take the spade finesse unless a miracle occurred.

If East has the last heart, I'll cash the DA and run clubs which will allow me to make when when East has the K or West has it singleton. Occasionally I'll make it if East doesn't realize the value of keeping the 6 covered.

I hope West hasn't duped me with A 10 doubleton.

#24 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-February-22, 05:11

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2017-February-22, 01:02, said:

So they won my Q and returned the 10. I cash the third heart. If West has the fourth heart, I'll cash the DA and run clubs and take the spade finesse unless a miracle occurred.

If East has the last heart, I'll cash the DA and run clubs which will allow me to make when when East has the K or West has it singleton. Occasionally I'll make it if East doesn't realize the value of keeping the 6 covered.

I hope West hasn't duped me with A 10 doubleton.

What about being 'duped' by: Kxx A109x Kxxxx x ?

#25 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2017-February-22, 10:01

I wonder why no one has suggested riffing out the spades because thre are enough entries to try that.SA ,S ruff,CK,S ruff,and now remove the last outstanding trump and play a heart towards Queen .You have one entry in hearts to ruff one more spade and if the King does appear you can enter by DA and discard the other diamond from dummy on SQ and dummy is good.If the king does not appear you can try for 3/3 hearts or if that fails fall back upon the diamond finesse as a last chance.

#26 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-22, 10:23

Contract was 6nt :blink:

#27 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2017-February-22, 11:12

View Postalok c, on 2017-February-22, 10:23, said:

Contract was 6nt :blink:

Thanks for disturbing my sleep as I dreamt the contract was six club.In 6 NT if hearts are not 3/3 then one has to guess which finesse to take.If west has both Kings and also 4 hearts he can never be squeezed as South is squeezed before him.Toss up the coin and if it's heads finesse D and if tails finesse spades or the other way round.If East has both then the hand is lay down.There is no threat in dummy like say DJ in place of a small one when the Vienna coup may see one through hence any squeeze is out of question.There is a further twist if hearts are 4/2 , the 9and10 don't appear from W and East wins the heart ace to return a spade or a diamond.

#28 User is offline   Finanzier 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Chess, writing, reading, law, solutions

Posted 2017-February-22, 12:38

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2017-February-20, 12:07, said:

So I'll advance the Q. I presume they are ducking this (if they win, I'll provide a solution but I don't think they're going to make my life easy. Then I play a to the K.

In this case the opps return a , destroying the entry to dummy and force you to run the !C without testing anything.

#29 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-February-22, 20:55

If RHO turns up with 4 hearts, you might cash A and run s. There's a remote chance of a
  • Show-up squeeze (if LHO has singleton K) or a
  • Double-squeeze (if LHO has KJT987) or a
  • Defensive mistake.

#30 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-23, 04:55

All we know for sure is that W has two clubs and A10 in heart ,most presumibly not in suit four cards(=fourth best) by opening leads and fourthemore his /her is protecting anything. If 6NT have to realize, having leads 10, cannot be the two Kings in West hand.

#31 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-25, 01:03

Under this absumption (post #30) i think that W can have K (3-2-6-2 shape), has avoided to lead a diamond for doesn't impasse a probable pd honor and are been discarted by E on clubs 3 spades and 1 diamond (4-4-3-2 shape) finding S the 12th trick on last club(=any triple sq.) by Q winner or in heart suit.

#32 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-26, 03:34

West had K, K and doubleton A10.

The winners of the event Stamatov Danylov found 6 clubs from south after a 1 opening. They got another club lead.

It is also in jeopardize since spades are 5-2, but declarer saw that he could give himself an extra chance of endplaying west by playing a low heart at trick 2. When west duck dummy can win, A, ruff a spade, club to hand, spade ruff (test for 4-3), draw last trump if neccesary and then play a heart, this would endplay west into playing a spade or a diamond, with East known to have no spades left.

West played A to avoid being endplayed later.

#33 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-26, 11:40

View PostFluffy, on 2017-February-26, 03:34, said:

West had K, K and doubleton A10.

The winners of the event Stamatov Danylov found 6 clubs from south after a 1 opening. They got another club lead.

It is also in jeopardize since spades are 5-2, but declarer saw that he could give himself an extra chance of endplaying west by playing a low heart at trick 2. When west duck dummy can win, A, ruff a spade, club to hand, spade ruff (test for 4-3), draw last trump if neccesary and then play a heart, this would endplay west into playing a spade or a diamond, with East known to have no spades left.

West played A to avoid being endplayed later.

Than needs to play about 6NT on honors/cards divided in heart suit 2-1(=A10-9) and impasse (after discarting last Queen). This one seems the situation too when there is an ending against an opp having plus a finesse: if squeeze falls it is although possible impasse.

#34 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-26, 19:49

Since you are playing for thousands of euros let me state that I think this approach to bidding is pennywise and pound foolish (pun intended). When u are short in p long suit ruffing might play a huge part in making your contract so tend to play the long strong minor rather than 6n. Feel free to send me 10 euros every time this advice works:))))))))))))

#35 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-27, 01:35

View Postgszes, on 2017-February-26, 19:49, said:

Since you are playing for thousands of euros let me state that I think this approach to bidding is pennywise and pound foolish (pun intended). When u are short in p long suit ruffing might play a huge part in making your contract so tend to play the long strong minor rather than 6n. Feel free to send me 10 euros every time this advice works:))))))))))))

I agree with you and i used to do it expecially if i have an unbalanced hand (en passant choising trump leaves always the possibility to play as NT rescouting that) but i am thinking yet at 3-3 in heart suit (9 in W/E) vs 4-2 (excluding 2-4 in W) but if risky is minor by shape(=more probable vs 3-3) maybe we have to finesse.

#36 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-01, 02:56

I think that my line is superior because offers many choising : you can squeeze E in two ways (triple a trick earlier or single on last club) or have the possibility to impasse if squeeze doesn't work and fourthemore should be covered also heart (3-3 case) if a discarting happens. The impasse in squeeze ending is supered because squeezing you have the same resulting but anytime is necessary because is structural (i.e. when you reduct opp for one card). A similar situation is already talked by me in "Squeeze or other" by lamford in Interesting Bridge Hands forum.

#37 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-02, 04:35

View Postgszes, on 2017-February-26, 19:49, said:

Before giving lessons to better players think twice, or better three times to avoid looking like a fool. Any time this advice works feel free to metally thank me.

#38 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-02, 18:33

View PostFluffy, on 2017-March-02, 04:35, said:

Before giving lessons to better players think twice, or better three times to avoid looking like a fool. Any time this advice works feel free to metally thank me.

I wondered how long that would take coming - but good advice.

#39 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-11, 15:14

View PostFluffy, on 2017-March-02, 04:35, said:

I consider my advice here to play in the minor to be VERY sound and I do not care one whit how much better you are than I am. Foolish of me, possibly, but I hope anyone that reads that advice uses it successfully many times throughout their bridge career. Oh and make it 100 euros.

#40 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-11, 16:01

View Postgszes, on 2017-March-11, 15:14, said:

I consider my advice here to play in the minor to be VERY sound and I do not care one whit how much better you are than I am. Foolish of me, possibly, but I hope anyone that reads that advice uses it successfully many times throughout their bridge career. Oh and make it 100 euros.

Did you actually notice that they would lead a diamond against 6 played by North?
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users