Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

11 + 12 = 26 the limit raise to full game

#1 User is offline   m1cha 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-February-15, 17:55

I open 1 with a minimum opener, some 11 - 13 HCP. Robot partner bids 1NT. I place my obligatory rebid of 2 with a 4-card suit and get raised to 4 which I cannot make. Latest example:

The label says 4 is "4+ ; 3- ; 11-12 total points". Don't we need 26 points for a full game and is 11 + 12 = 26? Isn't 11 - 12 points usually a limit raise worth a bid of 3, not 4? Isn't it the essence of the 2/1 system that a 1NT reply denies a full game opposite a minimum 1 opener? Okay I can understand that a hand can be worth jumping to 4 with exceptional support but I am not talking about exceptions. It's 4 again and again and again. Actually I cannot recall a single instance when I was raised to 3 after this initial sequence, always 4. Is there an error in the bidding list?

EDIT: See post #4.

#2 User is offline   AyunuS 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-15, 20:03

It probably valued the side 5-card suit as worth something, and figured you'd likely have a little bit more than 12, so I wouldn't say bidding a tiny bit aggressively is a bug.

#3 User is offline   m1cha 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-16, 07:08

View PostAyunuS, on 2017-February-15, 20:03, said:

It probably valued the side 5-card suit as worth something

I would have. But I wouldn't have counted my doubleton in partner's first suit as anything, so I'd be at 11 points and a raise to 3, not 4. GIB on the other hand does give a point for the small doubleton in partner's suit but does not give a point for a long suit (according to the documentation at the last time I read it) also resulting at 11 total points not worth a raise to 4, IMO. But if for any reason GIB would find the hand worth 12 points and if would find 12 points worth full game, then it should 2 in the first round, not 1NT, and I wouldn't have said anything because it's normal that we disagree on close decisions. But first bidding 1NT, then 4, always, that looks like a bug to me.

#4 User is offline   m1cha 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-16, 11:00

Okay, I give up. It's not a bug, it's a system issue. I did what I should have done earlier, which is check the 3 rebid: it shows 8 - 10 total points. It's just that opposite a minimum opening of 11 HCP, partner almost always has 11+ total points when playing best hand and that's why we end up in 4 so often. The 2 rebid has just a wide range, and it makes sense to invite to 4 with 8+ points if opener can have 18 points, in a way. On the other hand, ignoring that we end up in an unmakable contract systemically if opener has a minimum of 12 points does not feel right. Anyway, that's not my business here. I may end up doing what I have seen other players do lots of times, which is pass the forcing 1NT response when I have a minimum. In this way I will miss a good contract if partner happens to have an invitational hand with fit and intends a 3 rebid, but these hands are not so frequent. There's no free lunch.

In the real world I play 2/1 with one partner but we open 1NT with the strong 5422 distributions (showing hearts over Stayman or the 5-card suit over Puppet). In this way the 2 rebid is usually weak, so we can afford more substantial invitations to game.

#5 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-February-16, 14:57

I made this observation some years ago. I believe BBO did at least comment on it. GIB does raise to 3H occasionally I have since learned, but it is definitely overly aggressive in raising to game on this auction. The actual hand is a clear-cut 3H call.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users