BBO Discussion Forums: Non-Speedball Tournaments - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Non-Speedball Tournaments Are there tournaments that allow time to think?

#1 User is offline   donsp 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-February-15, 09:43

Can I earn ACBL master points in any online tournaments that do not enforce the speedball time limit per hand?

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-February-15, 10:06

I think that the robot tourneys offer acbl points
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-February-15, 10:56

View Postdonsp, on 2017-February-15, 09:43, said:

Can I earn ACBL master points in any online tournaments that do not enforce the speedball time limit per hand?

When we first created speedballs we continued to have tournaments with longer limits. They were not very popular and were dropped.

#4 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2017-February-15, 11:15

View Post1eyedjack, on 2017-February-15, 10:06, said:

I think that the robot tourneys offer acbl points

Yes, try the Instant Tournaments. They are quite fun and while there are time limits for the set, individual hands can be played at a leisurely pace.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-February-15, 14:22

View PostPhil, on 2017-February-15, 11:15, said:

Yes, try the Instant Tournaments. They are quite fun and while there are time limits for the set, individual hands can be played at a leisurely pace.

Yep. When I go to lunch I take my tablet with me, and play a couple of these. If a hand is interesting, you can look over the other results immediately after playing it.

#6 User is offline   donsp 

• Pip

Posted 2017-February-16, 08:10

Thanks all for the info. The robot tourneys seem to all be for individuals. Does anyone know of pairs tourneys giving ACBL master points with more than 4 minutes allowed per hand?

#7 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-February-16, 09:08

View Postdonsp, on 2017-February-16, 08:10, said:

Thanks all for the info. The robot tourneys seem to all be for individuals. Does anyone know of pairs tourneys giving ACBL master points with more than 4 minutes allowed per hand?

There aren't any. As I said before, we used to have them, but they didn't get enough attendance to keep them going.

#8 User is offline   themarc 

• PipPip

Posted 2017-February-16, 13:46

View Postbarmar, on 2017-February-16, 09:08, said:

There aren't any. As I said before, we used to have them, but they didn't get enough attendance to keep them going.

That's too bad. Neither speedball or robot are real bridge.

#9 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-February-16, 14:44

View Postthemarc, on 2017-February-16, 13:46, said:

That's too bad. Neither speedball or robot are real bridge.

Speedballs are not really that much faster than live bridge, because you don't waste any time for any of the mechanics: taking your hand from the board and sorting it at the beginning of each hand, shuffling and returning at the end, fiddling with the bidding box, entering the contract on the personal score, entering results on the traveller or electronic scoring device, moving from table to table. None of those take a long time, but they probably add up to close to a minute. You also never start a round late because you were waiting for the previous pair to finish.

Maybe it doesn't feel so fast to me because I hardly ever use the full 7.5 minutes allotted in live bridge. The only time is when we get a late start because of waiting for another pair, or because we have very slow opponents.

#10 User is offline   ereff 

• Pip

Posted 2017-February-17, 13:46

View Postdonsp, on 2017-February-16, 08:10, said:

Actually at 14 min it is 4.5 min/rd. The holdup occurs often when the dummy leaves the table and doesn't return when the next bd appears. Another time is at the beginning of game when someone has signed up then leaves for coffee, etc., so I allow about 30 sec to a min then call TD.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users