• You cannot reply to this topic

How rude is rude?

#21 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2017-February-16, 00:19

Rude players are rarely good players. They slow down the game. Worse, they break the law. Normally, dummy should remain silent. Exhorting declarer to claim blatantly interferes with the play. But, anyway, rudeness is simply against the law. As dummy, If you can't endure the antics of other players at the table, you should say "Got to go. Thanks. Bye." And consider taking up some other pass-time :)

#22 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-16, 00:46

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2017-February-15, 22:36, said:

Does the denominator really matter? The fact that it would even happen once in a billion hands is disgusting. But apparently the problem is far worse than that, and the other thread implies that it would be too expensive in manpower to deal with these trolls. In fact, it would be nearly impossible. For a troll doesn't have to jump to 7NT to lose 20 IMPs on purpose. He can scientifically bid a 21 point hand when holding a balanced 9-count for the same result and it would be a lot harder to implement software to catch those trolls.

I would say that the denominator does matter. Speaking from personal experience, I have never personally encountered a rogue 7N bidder at my table, where I might gain 20 IMPs, and I can't remember noticing it happening at a neighbouring table, where I might gain 1 or 2 IMPs. (I have however encountered a lot of rudeness of other types.) So I rather unscientifically conclude for all that they sampled 300 in a day, it is likely still to be a tiny drop in the ocean.

Personally I would rather their resources where concentrated in exposing the more subtle cheats who actually aim to gain by their nefariousness. And before someone chimes in with "but you don't need to look for one to the exclusion of the other" it seems that the finite resources dictate just that.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#23 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-16, 02:04

View Post1eyedjack, on 2017-February-16, 00:46, said:

Personally I would rather their resources where concentrated in exposing the more subtle cheats who actually aim to gain by their nefariousness. And before someone chimes in with "but you don't need to look for one to the exclusion of the other" it seems that the finite resources dictate just that.

So-called low hanging fruit is aptly named. The destructive 7NT bidders are easy to catch and it's an easy programming task that can be automated. What you are talking about is very difficult to program, maybe on a difficulty level of programming GIB and I'm sure you know how many tens of thousands of hours went into GIB.

#24 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2017-February-16, 11:34

As discussed in the other thread, sure it's (relatively) easy to program. However, now you have to review it; I've had 1-1; 2NT-7 auctions - that rolled - before. Now you have to do something about it, and that is non-trivial. Of course, I'm waiting for the day that BBO "randomly" deals out the Duke of Cumberland hand - just to see how many people recognize it in the auction :-).

I do tend to agree with those people who are implying that if a once- or twice-a-year thing at another table that randomly gives or takes away an IMP or two is enough to frustrate one's use of a fantastic FREE site, then I can't imagine how one plays with randoms on BBO, never mind actual partners. I would also suggest that if one is the recipient of more than one of those 7x flounces in a year, it might not be all their issue; certainly if it's a "regular" occurrence, there's something else going on.

I will note that I don't play with randoms on BBO, but not because I've ever had this perpetrated; I just don't enjoy playing with AIs that complain about *my* play, whether they're right or not (or better than I or not). I also don't really like "playing the fish" with my regular partners, where we're likely to confuse as well as do well just because of our familiarity and system (try keeping opposition if you play Precision, or the comments you get when you 'confuse' them on defence with that dreaded 12-14 1NT opener).

When I can get a table, especially a table of people I know, I thoroughly enjoy the site; and the odd time that there's a flaky result in the mix is a "roll with the punches" thing. Although most of the time, it's the eternally optimistic who bid 6 every time they can see 11 tricks or so ("where there's 11, there's 12, right?") providing the "well, bidding the obvious game and making it scores +1.5 or -1.5 at random", not the punishing grand types.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#25 User is offline   scoria16 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-February-16, 19:53

If a player is being rude to me I just keep silent play the game then blacklist them on my friends list. Then you do not have to play with them again. Although if somebody is over the top I report them to BBO.

#26 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-16, 21:12

View Post1eyedjack, on 2017-February-16, 00:46, said:

I would say that the denominator does matter. Speaking from personal experience, I have never personally encountered a rogue 7N bidder at my table, where I might gain 20 IMPs, and I can't remember noticing it happening at a neighbouring table, where I might gain 1 or 2 IMPs.
I have probably played far fewer deals on BBO than any of the other posters (maybe a thousand?). I have encountered two different opponents doing this at my table.

#27 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2017-February-17, 10:31

Okay, I apologize. I have to admit I didn't think of *opponents* doing this - or at least about the opponents of these people being upset about it. I'd ask when dummy came down if they wanted a redeal, were I host, I'd kick (and mark enemy) the offender, and go on.

I was just thinking of the randomness when one of the other tables did it, or when my partner decided to.

I admit that it's never happened to me, either, but as I said, I don't tend to play with randoms (as partners or opponents). When I did, because we were playing weirdo-Precision, the kinds of people who would 7NT partners who did something they didn't like tended to disappear after *we* did something they didn't like (like open anything but 1 or 2M).
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#28 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-17, 15:03

View PostKaitlyn S, on 2017-February-16, 21:12, said:

I have probably played far fewer deals on BBO than any of the other posters (maybe a thousand?).

Probably not -- some posters don't play much online. I have played fewer than ten deals on BBO.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#29 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-21, 09:21

View Postscarletv, on 2017-February-15, 04:40, said:

I would not be interested to play more than once with someone who gives no feedback.

Yu can always ask for feedback. A good partner will give feedback if (but probably only if) you ask for it.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users