• You cannot reply to this topic

Totally Nutty Or Not

#21 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-February-17, 01:09

View Postsfi, on 2017-February-16, 22:22, said:

On this hand you miss a perfectly good game that way, which you find by opening 1NT.

Calling Pete nuts just because you don't agree with him is pretty poor form. He's going to the Bermuda Bowl this year, so he must have some idea.

"Nuts" is not something as bad as you think it is. The way it is used in USA it is more of a compliment than insult actually. I know very well that he is going to BB.
Someone has to go to BB from that zone. Don't give me lecture as if he managed to go to BB from Europe. Players from Guadalupe, Singapore, Tunisia are also going to BB. Probably going every 4 year and much more than this guy will ever go, but that does not help them improve an inch.
FYI, there are people who went to BB from much more difficult zones and here is what they think about 1 NT.

http://bridgewinners...m-2-jjmxdyl1z6/

And since when it has been your priority to find games at a MP event? Of course it works when your pd has 6 card and 8 hcp and decided to pass!!!. It does not work so well when your pd passes 1 NT with doubleton or 3 card or 4 card and they find a running suit, does it? It does not work so well when they bid and raise hearts or clubs or diamonds to the 3 level and to watch them play while you have 9 or 10 card fit, does it? It does not work so well when your pd transfers to a minor and you end up playing 6-2 minor when 8 or 9 card fit was available, does it? It does not work so well when pd bids 3 NT and you go down when 4 was cold, does it?

He's going to the Bermuda Bowl this year, so he must have some idea.

Everyone in the world, 90 % of the conventions in the world are made for finding a major fit, they have some idea too. Just because someone is gonna visit the BB and will be a contender from a zone which has no success whatsoever does not mean I will worship his ideas. Forget about opening 1 NT, his comment which says "this hand has a rebid problem" is wrong. Plain wrong due to the 4th seat 2 openings.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#22 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2017-February-17, 02:39

lol Timo maybe if you included in your poll that this was with GIB you might get a different result. Of course if you have methods to deal with his hand then 1 spade opening is completely normal and most if not all of the expert players in that poll will have methods. Also in weekly free sometimes it's a case of deviating from the norm slightly to try and get a top result.

I disagree that it's an easy 1s 1N 2s hand it feels like a distinct underbid to me despite the 4th seat aspect, whereas of course 1s 1N 3S is big overbid.
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#23 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-February-17, 10:04

View Posteagles123, on 2017-February-17, 02:39, said:

lol Timo maybe if you included in your poll that this was with GIB you might get a different result. Of course if you have methods to deal with his hand then 1 spade opening is completely normal and most if not all of the expert players in that poll will have methods. Also in weekly free sometimes it's a case of deviating from the norm slightly to try and get a top result.

I disagree that it's an easy 1s 1N 2s hand it feels like a distinct underbid to me despite the 4th seat aspect, whereas of course 1s 1N 3S is big overbid.

Go check what GIB opens 2 in 4th seat. So do not try to slip away. You could have a point if I made a note in the poll that says "your 2 spade opening is 10-12 hcp" I did not mention it in the poll to be fair. And please, again, do not tell me what I should have mentioned in the question when it was YOU who did not mention us that this was against GIB! I asked it in BW as you gave it to us here. I did not add or take anything from your original question as it was asked to us here.

It is not my pet method and you know I am one of the very few in BBF who does not try to solve the asked questions with his pet toys. Posted Image
Just because it did not even occur to you, does not really change the fact that it is an easy 1sp-1NT-2sp. we all agree that 3 sp is an overbid. It is overbid at least for the people around here.

And my "nuts" word is nothing compared to what a very good player said about those who opened 1 NT( deluded masochists) with this hand in BW. None of these comments mean that guy is a bad player. You check the forums and you may find a really good player saying something that sounds "nuts" to you. You may find this among WC players as well where one of them thinks other one is nuts on a particular auction. I still think opening 1 NT with this hand, particularly in a MP event, is weird. But do not forget what I wrote in my first reply, that I personally made worse bids or plays myself so it is not in my "terrible bridge" category. Perhaps I use that term for much worse actions.

"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#24 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2017-February-17, 10:52

View PostMrAce, on 2017-February-17, 10:04, said:

Go check what GIB opens 2 in 4th seat. So do not try to slip away. You could have a point if I made a note in the poll that says "your 2 spade opening is 10-12 hcp" I did not mention it in the poll to be fair. And please, again, do not tell me what I should have mentioned in the question when it was YOU who did not mention us that this was against GIB! I asked it in BW as you gave it to us here. I did not add or take anything from your original question as it was asked to us here.

It is not my pet method and you know I am one of the very few in BBF who does not try to solve the asked questions with his pet toys. Posted Image
Just because it did not even occur to you, does not really change the fact that it is an easy 1sp-1NT-2sp. we all agree that 3 sp is an overbid. It is overbid at least for the people around here.

And my "nuts" word is nothing compared to what a very good player said about those who opened 1 NT( deluded masochists) with this hand in BW. None of these comments mean that guy is a bad player. You check the forums and you may find a really good player saying something that sounds "nuts" to you. You may find this among WC players as well where one of them thinks other one is nuts on a particular auction. I still think opening 1 NT with this hand, particularly in a MP event, is weird. But do not forget what I wrote in my first reply, that I personally made worse bids or plays myself so it is not in my "terrible bridge" category. Perhaps I use that term for much worse actions.

Lol I never said anything about your "nuts" word And I did mention indirectly it was with GIB:

I opened 1N because it was the BBO weeklong thing and why not but is it actually terrible bridge?

you telling me you don't know that is playing with GIB lol?

I think bidding 1s 1N 2S opposite GIB will miss a ton of games on this hand. you obviously don't thats fine. I think most experts will have some convention to handle this hand, you don't again that's fine. Sure I should check what GIB plays exactly but I usually play these tournys without taking much care and just bid on instinct.
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#25 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-February-17, 17:31

View Posteagles123, on 2017-February-17, 10:52, said:

you telling me you don't know that is playing with GIB lol?

No I do not know.
So playing on BBO week long means playing with GIB?

#26 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-17, 18:14

It's not terrible, but I think it is wrong personally.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#27 User is offline   m1cha 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-February-17, 22:27

View Posteagles123, on 2017-February-17, 10:52, said:

I should check what GIB plays exactly

Considering this a hand of 17 total points, GIB opens 1 and rebids 3 over 1NT or a trial bid of 3(sic!) over 2.
With stronger 16 HCP hands of the same shape GIB sometimes jumps to 4 directly over 2.
(Just checked. No further comment.)

#28 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-19, 07:52

View PostMrAce, on 2017-February-17, 01:09, said:

"Nuts" is not something as bad as you think it is.

I love the slogan of the Dutch insurance company Nuts: "The World is crazy, we are Nuts".
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#29 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-February-19, 09:50

View Posthelene_t, on 2017-February-19, 07:52, said:

I love the slogan of the Dutch insurance company Nuts: "The World is crazy, we are Nuts".

Posted Image

#30 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-26, 18:01

totally nuts is opening 7n or something so 1n is not THAT bad. I would call it merely very poor (lets assay a 3 on a 1-10 scale). The worst part is it seems based on a concept of things are always going wrong anyway so why bother with looking for game philosophy. 1N might work but spades will usually be better than any other strain so why purposely handicap your partnership by hiding your best asset?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users