BBO Discussion Forums: Law 41 B / C - entitlement to restating of auction - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Law 41 B / C - entitlement to restating of auction Clarification please!

#21 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-February-16, 23:05

Note that the words "review", "restate", and "restatement" appear nowhere in Law 20F, which deals with explanations. I therefore would argue that using any of those words in discussing or describing what's going on in Law 20F is incorrect.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#22 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-17, 03:56

View Postblackshoe, on 2017-February-16, 23:05, said:

Note that the words "review", "restate", and "restatement" appear nowhere in Law 20F, which deals with explanations. I therefore would argue that using any of those words in discussing or describing what's going on in Law 20F is incorrect.

I did what I should have done initially and found:

Law 20B said:

During the auction period, a player is entitled to have all previous calls restated* when it is his turn to call, unless he is required by law to pass. Alerts should be included when responding to the request. A player may not ask for a partial review of previous calls and may not halt the review before it is completed.

so apparently "restatement" applies to a single call while "review" applies to the collection of all the calls in the auction.

Thus "restatements" (plural) and "review" (single) are synonyms?

#23 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-17, 09:05

View Postpran, on 2017-February-17, 03:56, said:

so apparently "restatement" applies to a single call while "review" applies to the collection of all the calls in the auction.

Thus "restatements" (plural) and "review" (single) are synonyms?

I would not say so. The former refers to multiple instances, the latter only to one. Note that a review must include all calls and cannot be interrupted or curtailed once requested.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#24 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-17, 09:29

View Postblackshoe, on 2017-February-17, 09:05, said:

I would not say so. The former refers to multiple instances, the latter only to one. Note that a review must include all calls and cannot be interrupted or curtailed once requested.

OK, let me put it this way: A rewiew is the restatements of all the calls in the auction as a whole?

#25 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-February-17, 09:31

Yes, the word "restate" applies to a single call, but the laws use the plural word "calls". AIUI, a "review of the auction" consists of a restatement of all the calls and alerts in the auction.

20B and 20C2 are essentially saying the same thing as 41B, and 20 specifically says "all previous calls". There's no provision for restating specific calls, but a declarer or defender can ask for explanations whenever it's their turn to bid or play. E.g. declarer can ask a defender "How many hearts did your partner show?"

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users