Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Law 7 Terrible Mistake

#1 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-February-10, 16:15

So... now I can touch dummy's cards, as a defender, if declarer gives me "permission".

This has actually happened to me once or twice, and I was able to say, "sorry, it's illegal". Now if it happens again, I will have to say, "I don't want to", which sounds unfriendly.

If this practice becomes widespread, I wonder if we will have more cases like the recent one in which a defender placed the wrong card from dummy in the played position? I cannot find the thread, but i guess it will now be the same as if dummy placed a card in the played position? So the "perpetrators" will be treated as non-offending?

Hmmm... maybe I will play dummy's cards...
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#2 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2017-February-10, 17:12

I also don't like playing dummy's cards a defender, because I find it distracting. I generally respond to requests to play dummy's cards by saying "I'd rather not, because I find it distracting".

However, some people don't mind playing dummy's cards for declarer, and prefer that to having declarer reach across the table to play them. It seems a bit unreasonable to expect the lawmakers to inconvenience those players in order to save you the embarrassment of saying no.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-February-10, 18:46

How many players do you think will even know about the change in the law? 99.9% of bridge players never read the lawbook.

Just continue as you always have, and there will be no difference.

#4 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2017-February-10, 19:51

View Postbarmar, on 2017-February-10, 18:46, said:

How many players do you think will even know about the change in the law? 99.9% of bridge players never read the lawbook.

Just continue as you always have, and there will be no difference.

What I have always done is say it's illegal, so...
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#5 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-11, 02:25

View PostVampyr, on 2017-February-10, 19:51, said:

What I have always done is say it's illegal, so...

It's still illegal unless you agree to it.

The benefit of the change comes at then end of the hand when an opponent asks whether they may look at your hand and you would like to agree to it without having to call the TD.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#6 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2017-February-11, 04:19

View Postgordontd, on 2017-February-11, 02:25, said:

The benefit of the change comes at then end of the hand when an opponent asks whether they may look at your hand and you would like to agree to it without having to call the TD.

Yeah, you know what though? People don't call the TD for this.

#7 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2017-February-11, 06:38

View Postbarmar, on 2017-February-10, 18:46, said:

You don't think we should tell players about changes to the law book?
Especially those changes that change what is legal procedure?

I expect some NBOs will make some effort to inform their members.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#8 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-February-11, 11:31

View PostVampyr, on 2017-February-11, 04:19, said:

That's the point. People have been doing this for ages. And if there were no change to the Law, they'd obviously keep on doing it.

Under the current law, both the opponent who asks to look at your hand and the player who gives him permission would be subject to a PP if a hard-nosed TD caught them. With this change it's just the opponent if he does it without your permission -- you can't be penalized for giving permission (and then the opponent is indemnified as well).

#9 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-February-11, 11:34

View PostRMB1, on 2017-February-11, 06:38, said:

You don't think we should tell players about changes to the law book?
Especially those changes that change what is legal procedure?

I expect some NBOs will make some effort to inform their members.

I expect that NBOs will publicize the major changes to the laws. I'll bet anything that this one doesn't get mentioned in publications intended for players. It might not even get mentioned in communications to TDs.

#10 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2017-February-12, 06:26

View Postbarmar, on 2017-February-11, 11:34, said:

I expect that NBOs will publicize the major changes to the laws. I'll bet anything that this one doesn't get mentioned in publications intended for players. It might not even get mentioned in communications to TDs.

Rather like the change in laws to making claims - it is a sop to expediency.

I sometimes wonder about 7C - it is clear that once a hand has been returned to the board then it cannot be removed (other than by request of the director) - however does it mean that, afer play has been completed then the hands should be shufflied and then returned to the board without passing them between players.
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#11 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-12, 12:01

View Postgordontd, on 2017-February-11, 02:25, said:

View PostVampyr, on 2017-February-11, 04:19, said:

View Postweejonnie, on 2017-February-12, 06:26, said:

Rather like the change in laws to making claims - it is a sop to expediency.

I sometimes wonder about 7C - it is clear that once a hand has been returned to the board then it cannot be removed (other than by request of the director) - however does it mean that, afer play has been completed then the hands should be shufflied and then returned to the board without passing them between players.

Under current law, and indeed under the new law, if before you have returned your cards to the board a player (any of the other three at the table) asks to see your hand, you can certainly show it to him. Proper procedure though is not to just hand it to him. Face the cards, but keep control of them yourself. After you have returned your cards to the board, if a member of each side is present at the table, there is no prohibition against removing your hand from the board, but again the "owner" of the hand should keep control of it; no other player should handle it. "No player shall touch any cards other than his own" is a blanket prohibition with only one exception - the handling of dummy's cards during the play by declarer or, with declarer's permission, a defender. Note that violation of that blanket prohibition "should incur a procedural penalty more often than not" — but it doesn't. :(
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users