• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Invisible, or not

#1 User is offline   silvr bull 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-February-10, 11:05

I sometimes log in as invisible, and other times as not invisible. After being logged in for a while, I do not remember which way I logged in. It would be helpful if the software displayed that status onscreen so I can see it easily.

Also, I noticed that invisible is not completely invisible. After logging as invisible, I can type my user ID into the "Find member" box and a popup says I am online. If that status showing an invisible member is online is unintentional, it might be an "Area for Improvement".

#2 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-February-10, 12:29

I believe friends, not necessarily followers (maybe people you follow?), can see you are on but invisible. For some reason, you count as such for yourself :-).
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#3 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-February-10, 12:58

When you are logged on invisible your own username at the top right corner of the screen shows in a white-silver-ish color. When you are visible it's grey.

This post has been edited by diana_eva: 2017-February-10, 14:32
Reason for edit: corrected color

#4 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-10, 13:56

diana_eva, on 2017-February-10, 12:58, said:

When you are logged on invisible your own username at the top right corner of the screen shows in a white-silver-ish color. When you are visible it's blue.

The change in color happens when you press the <Be right back> button. There is no difference if you login visible or invisble.

#5 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-10, 13:58

One solution would be to log in with a different account that is always invisible and has no friends.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#6 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-10, 14:38

scarletv, on 2017-February-10, 13:56, said:

The change in color happens when you press the <Be right back> button. There is no difference if you login visible or invisble.

That's not what I meant, but I got the color wrong indeed. When you are visible username plate shows in grey, while when invisible it shows white.

Posted Image

#7 User is offline   silvr bull 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-10, 15:22

scarletv, on 2017-February-10, 13:56, said:

The change in color happens when you press the <Be right back> button.

Where is the <Be right back> button???

#8 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-10, 15:38

Thanks Diana :) now I can see.

silvr bull, on 2017-February-10, 15:22, said:

Where is the <Be right back> button???

Have a look at the picture posted by Diana_eva in the lower part you can see that button just above the line with find a member.

#9 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2017-February-10, 16:14

IMO the contrast between grey and white is inadequate.

Not the highest priority for BBO in the grand scheme of things, mind.

On the other hand, probably the simplest fix that they would ever have implemented in the history of BBO.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#10 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-10, 18:17

silvr bull, on 2017-February-10, 11:05, said:

Also, I noticed that invisible is not completely invisible. After logging as invisible, I can type my user ID into the "Find member" box and a popup says I am online. If that status showing an invisible member is online is unintentional, it might be an "Area for Improvement".

It's intentional. Invisible mainly just means you're not shown in the list of users. You can still be found if someone looks for you specifically, or if they look at a table listing that includes a table where you're playing. A more accurate term would probably be "Not obvious".

#11 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2017-February-10, 23:21

barmar, on 2017-February-10, 18:17, said:

It's intentional. Invisible mainly just means you're not shown in the list of users. You can still be found if someone looks for you specifically, or if they look at a table listing that includes a table where you're playing. A more accurate term would probably be "Not obvious".

Not a sensible definition.

If someone logs in invisible he most likely does not want his presence known. Period.

There are circumstances where those wishes have to be overridden for the site to operate and for protection from cheats.

These would include the power of yellows to see invisibles, and for players and kibitzers at a table to be visible at least to those at the table, TDs and hosts

I can't think of any other cases where there is a public interest in overriding the player's desire for privacy, and there is one glaring reason for extending invisibility to a general search for a member: protection from stalkers.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#12 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-10, 23:45

diana_eva, on 2017-February-10, 14:38, said:

That's not what I meant, but I got the color wrong indeed. When you are visible username plate shows in grey, while when invisible it shows white.

That's ... subtle.

barmar, on 2017-February-10, 18:17, said:

You also don't receive team invitations even if issued by name, and the table host is informed that the person is not online. That person needs to join the table and take their seat. Luckily (in our case) that person is generally sitting in the same room so we can sort it out.

#13 User is offline   silvr bull 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-11, 00:46

scarletv, on 2017-February-10, 15:38, said:

Have a look at the picture posted by Diana_eva in the lower part you can see that button just above the line with find a member.

Thanks! I must have looked in that location dozens of times, but I did not read that button. I guess it is easier to see something I am looking for, than something else. So, what does the <Be right back> button do? I click it and it turns red for me, but what information does it communicate to the table? If it turns my ID red too, they will think I am disconnected and they will call the cops to evict me. How is the <Be right back> button better than typing brb into the chat box?

#14 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-11, 01:08

When playing at a table it makes little sense to turn <brb> on. But imagine you are just online and someone says hello to you. With the button turned on he will receive a message that you are not present at the moment. Else he might think you don't like to talk to him.

#15 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-February-11, 11:03

scarletv, on 2017-February-11, 01:08, said:

When playing at a table it makes little sense to turn <brb> on.

It should prevent people from saying "pls bid" if they know you've stepped away from your computer.

#16 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-February-11, 11:10

1eyedjack, on 2017-February-10, 23:21, said:

Not a sensible definition.

If someone logs in invisible he most likely does not want his presence known. Period.

There are circumstances where those wishes have to be overridden for the site to operate and for protection from cheats.

These would include the power of yellows to see invisibles, and for players and kibitzers at a table to be visible at least to those at the table, TDs and hosts

I can't think of any other cases where there is a public interest in overriding the player's desire for privacy, and there is one glaring reason for extending invisibility to a general search for a member: protection from stalkers.

What is this great need for privacy when you login to a public site?

I admit that I login invisible, because I'm a yellow and I don't want users bothering me with support requests like booting a stuck host (we have other yellows whose job it is to do this). But for this, all I need is that I don't show up in the Hosts list.

Here's a way the current design is useful. You want to play a set game, but not be noticed by anyone else. So you login invisible, and open an invisible table. Your friends also login invisible, they search for you, and then join your table.

#17 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2017-February-11, 12:21

barmar, on 2017-February-11, 11:10, said:

What is this great need for privacy when you login to a public site?

Well, you (or rather BBO) considered the option sufficiently worthwhile to make it available at all. So if you are going to go that far, then might as well do it right.

I sometimes log in as invisible because at the time I have no wish to engage with others who might seek out conversation with me if they know that I am there. If all they have to do is to search on my user name to locate my presence despite logged in as invisible, then it defeats any benefit to logging in as invisible

barmar, on 2017-February-11, 11:10, said:

Here's a way the current design is useful. You want to play a set game, but not be noticed by anyone else. So you login invisible, and open an invisible table. Your friends also login invisible, they search for you, and then join your table.
Perhaps. Am having a bit of trouble getting my head around that. I would have logged is as invisible, opened a visible table, with kibbers barred and permission required to sit. Wait for my invisible friends to join (or issue invitations) and then make the table invisible.

That might be fractionally more onerous than your suggestion, but a small price to pay for true invisibility. Unless, from you comment of it being a public site, invisibility is socially undesirable altogether. In which case providing a watered down version does not really add anything to the experience.

I certainly don't think it desirable that individuals be lulled into a false sense of invisibility that does not exist, as currently seems to be the case.

#18 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-February-11, 14:55

1eyedjack, on 2017-February-11, 12:21, said:

I sometimes log in as invisible because at the time I have no wish to engage with others who might seek out conversation with me if they know that I am there. If all they have to do is to search on my user name to locate my presence despite logged in as invisible, then it defeats any benefit to logging in as invisible

Why would they do that? Do you think people sit around, typing people's names into the search box every few minutes, in case they've logged in invisible?

Even if we fix this, all they have to do is send you a chat message. If you're logged in, you'll get it. If not, they'll be told you're not logged in, and it will be sent as mail.

#19 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2017-February-11, 16:47

barmar, on 2017-February-11, 14:55, said:

Why would they do that?

Why speculate about people's motives? If you are going to offer invisibility, just give it. If there is no merit in offering it, don't. If you are going to give them something in between, for whatever warped reason, don't describe it as something more than it is. Simples.

#20 User is offline   Gerardo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-11, 19:30

If you sit to play in a visible table, I think you should be seen in the table list, no matter how you log in.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users