Claim with high trump out 2/1 ACBL

#1 User is offline   dickiegera 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-February-07, 14:46

With 6 cards to play Hearts are Trump

Declarer held None,3,AQxx,6
I held Q9,9,xx,x

Declarer claimed saying he has to give us a club trick [my partner held the Ace of clubs]

However I held the high Trump so he had to give us another trick.

Also after calling directer I stated if declarer leads a trump before cashing good diamonds that
I would be able to cash 2 Spades and he would be down more [four]

Director said it would be not be logical for declare to play the cards that way.

Is that correct?

#2 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-February-07, 16:29

I would so. If declarer doesn't think there any trumps out, he doesn't have any reason to lead trumps.

I think he's leading a club, and then your partner wins, and leads whatever, which, as the non claiming side, should be whatever is favorable to you. You don't get to have declarer make the worst possible play, directly contradicting his (incomplete) states line.

#3 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-07, 18:09

It would be unreasonable to lead trump first if the diamonds are not known good, or if he's going to lead the club first (can't handle more clubs after). Assuming the diamonds *are good*, then I think leading the trump is reasonable. Why?

Same declarer, same hand, next week. Now, of course, the trump out is the 2 not the 9. Now, "of course I'd play the heart first, it's obvious to."

[Edit to correct the trump spots, misread the OP.]
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#4 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-07, 18:18

View Postdickiegera, on 2017-February-07, 14:46, said:

I stated if declarer leads a trump before cashing good diamonds that
I would be able to cash 2 Spades and he would be down more [four]

Director said it would be not be logical for declare to play the cards that way.

So declarer may well lead a club and claim the rest so even if the heart lead is not logical, that one is. Leads to down 3?
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#5 User is offline   dickiegera 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-07, 19:37

View Postggwhiz, on 2017-February-07, 18:18, said:

So declarer may well lead a club and claim the rest so even if the heart lead is not logical, that one is. Leads to down 3?

On club lead will be down 4. I will overruff a 2nd club and cash my 2 good spades.

#6 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2017-February-08, 03:29

Since declarer said he would give up a club then he has to give up a club. It would seem normal (includes careless or inferior) to give it up at the first opportunity.

Otherwise the general concensus is that if declarer thinks the other 3 cards in his hand are equal (all winners) then it does not matter in which order he plays (and your statement about down 4 is accurate).

In August, or when the new rules come into force, you will have the opportunity of saying 'Play on please' and if your partner and declarer/ dummy agree then you can continue. HOWEVER you will lose the director's ability to rule under law 70 (which as can be seen from the topic, should be much more favourable to you.) (IMHO no defender should really request the new option however I assume the new law has been drawn up aas a matter of expediency because this is what often happens in real life.)
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#7 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-08, 07:42

Other things being equal, declarer should not be forced to lead a trump. But he can certainly be forced to lead a club per his statement.

If what mycroft says is correct, then enforcing a trump lead is also ok.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#8 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-08, 08:50

View Postdickiegera, on 2017-February-07, 19:37, said:

On club lead will be down 4. I will overruff a 2nd club and cash my 2 good spades.

Given this and the fact that declarer said he is giving up a club, I would rule down 4.

ahydra

#9 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-09, 10:15

View Postweejonnie, on 2017-February-08, 03:29, said:

I assume the new law has been drawn up aas a matter of expediency because this is what often happens in real life.

Probably. Expediency is rarely a good idea, though.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users