BBO Discussion Forums: NI Teams 5 - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

NI Teams 5 Massive hand, poor trumps

Poll: NI Teams 5 (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Your call?

1. 2D (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

2. 3C (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 3S (splinter) (6 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

4. 4H (0 votes [0.00%])

5. 4S (exclusion KC) (2 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

6. 5H (0 votes [0.00%])

7. 5NT (grand slam force) (0 votes [0.00%])

8. 6H (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

9. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-February-06, 09:33

Partner has shown 3 hearts and 8-11 HCP (2D would be the same with 4+ trumps), how to you treat this hand now?
Wayne Somerville

#2 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2017-February-06, 10:34

it might not be right but i'm just gonna blast 6h. If p has AKJ hearts and Q diamonds oh well.
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-06, 11:02

I am going for exclusion. I may be missing something, but what's the point of blasting? I don't see how knowledge of the spade void helps the opposition. Even if the lead of A promotes dummy's K we probably don't need that trick anyway. We just need to know about the trump quality. Partner will reject a splinter with KJT and the rest of the points in spades so I don't think a splinter is helpful. But OK, the strategy to splinter and then respect partner's sign-off will of course often work and avoid the occasionally unsafe 5-level so it is not crazy.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2017-February-06, 11:34

View Posthelene_t, on 2017-February-06, 11:02, said:

We just need to know about the trump quality. Partner will reject a splinter with KJT and the rest of the points in spades so I don't think a splinter is helpful.

If partner rejects the splinter with KJT, then I think we're likely to have a diamond loser.

#5 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-06, 12:21

making ANY bid w/o a complete understanding of what the follow ups mean is hazardous duty so take this guess of bidding

2D

as merely my humble opinion since I assuming the bids that follow are logical rather than merely systemic (much like the original 2c bid). The reason I like the 2d bid is that it allows for slam exploration at a VERY low level. Some bids are just plain wrong for this monster 2h 2s 2n 3d 3h 3n all send the completely wrong message so we eliminate those right away. The splinters all suffer from the same problem the ace askers have. There is just plain not enough information to justify using those bids at this time. Lets go SLOW and see if we can get any useful information from p along the way.

A bid of 3c has the benefit showing p distribution but suffers from making p downgrade the usefulness of the dia Q. This is a small flaw but if I get into a cue bidding sequence later I would be happy to hear about that dia Q. I consider the splinters and ace asking bids so poor I would much rather opener merely rebid 4h and I think bidding 4h is worth about a 4 so imagine what my rating is of the splinters and ace asking bids.

What can go wrong after a 2D bid that anyone feels the need to go rushing about to judgement in some way shape or form. Partner is looking at their cards so why not try and get them involved in the investigative process. We might find out all kinds of interesting information is p min or max (there is a KING difference in the range and that is huge). We can also find out if p has "stuff" in spades (almost always bad news) while still below game level. Take it easy and don't be in such a hurry to rush to judgement.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users