BBO Discussion Forums: NI Teams 2 - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

NI Teams 2 Defense problem

Poll: NI Teams 2 (6 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you play now?

1. Spade (1 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

2. Heart (2 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Diamond (1 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

4. Club (2 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-February-06, 09:06

You decide to lead the 4 which goes to the 3-K-A. The 3 is now led from declarer and you win the jack (partner playing the 8- you play smith peters, so a low card says they like the suit led). What do you do now?

edit: corrected
Wayne Somerville

#2 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-06, 09:47

South doesn't have the 2, and North doesn't have the 2 as South has it.

I'm really struggling to see a way to beat this. Declarer does look a little short of tricks - why is he playing diamonds rather than trying to set up hearts, for instance.

The more I think about this, the more I'm placing declarer with 4153 and wanting to lead a small heart back, but I haven't yet managed to convince myself why that's right. Overall though I think the key here is to go passive and hope for something like AJxx x AQ9xx Jxx where declarer runs out of steam.

ahydra

#3 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-06, 10:03

View Postahydra, on 2017-February-06, 09:47, said:

South doesn't have the 2, and North doesn't have the 2 as South has it.

Thanks for that, corrected the OP, 3 was played from dummy, and it was the 3 led at T2.
Wayne Somerville

#4 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2017-February-06, 10:40

View Postahydra, on 2017-February-06, 09:47, said:

AJxx x AQ9xx Jxx

I came up with

AJxx x AQrxx Jxx,

r<8. But partner might have played the 9 from 98xx.

This post has been edited by nullve: 2017-February-06, 10:51

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-06, 10:42

Which system are they playing?

At first glance I can come up with hands that we can set it if declarer has something like. I'd play partner for K+J and 9xxx. Something like

He won't have the tempo to establish both 3rd and another spade as long as we do not create him extra tricks before his entry to hand is killed. So I would play back .

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-February-06, 10:49

View Postnullve, on 2017-February-06, 10:40, said:

I came up with

AJxx x AQrxx Jxx,

r<8.

1- You do not need the "r" to be smaller than 8
2-If declarer has this hand back still beats it and beats it by 2 tricks.
3-If declarer has the hand I constructed, playing back allows him to make. He wins the A and establish spadesPosted Image So you voted for playing but it is clearly inferior.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-06, 10:52

View PostMrAce, on 2017-February-06, 10:42, said:

Which system are they playing?

Standard American. Not sure why they bid 3C, but they did.
Wayne Somerville

#8 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-06, 11:40

I would hope partner would play 9 from 98xx if he wanted to signal high, hence I thought that declarer would have the 9. (MrAce: Note from the OP that the 8 was played on the first round as a Smith signal.)

ahydra

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-February-06, 13:35

View Postahydra, on 2017-February-06, 11:40, said:

I would hope partner would play 9 from 98xx if he wanted to signal high, hence I thought that declarer would have the 9. (MrAce: Note from the OP that the 8 was played on the first round as a Smith signal.)

ahydra

At the time I replied I was assuming they play 2/1.
To be honest I do not know whether pd would play the 9 of or not from 98xx. I would play the 9 myself.

But if we assume what you say is correct for this partner, and declarer has AQ9xx , then we need pd to hold J+KJ.
Which leaves declarer with 11 hcp and I thought this is not likely playing 2/1. Manu said they play St.American so it is possible that declarer can hold AJxx xx AQ9xx xx. In which case we would be better placed had we taken first with K.
Now we can defeat by playing . We can also defeat by playing club, dd defense if declarer has the hand I constructed with spade AJT9, if pd wins the club and plays back which is as I said way too double dummy for pd to solve when to play back and when to play back or spade back.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users