• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

NI Teams 1 play 3NT

#1 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-February-06, 08:55

I was playing in Northern Ireland's premier teams competition. Had a few bad boards which may have won it. Here's the first of them.

You get a fourth-best 2 lead. Plan the play.
Wayne Somerville

#2 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-06, 12:34

View Postmanudude03, on 2017-February-06, 08:55, said:

I was playing in Northern Ireland's premier teams competition. Had a few bad boards which may have won it. Here's the first of them.

You get a fourth-best 2 lead. Plan the play.
Trying to keep the A as an entry by flying K at trick 1 is going to give me too many losers. I think I have to abandon the spades and clubs in favor of trying for three diamond stoppers and hope the opponents have to do something good for me (of course a spade miracle might work too.)

I play the 6; hopefully it's too soon for South to realize that the 7 is a good play. I capture South's card with the A and lead a heart (I have to use hand entries to lead hearts because I can't afford to be stuck on the board later leading hearts.) I don't think I can go much further here as it depends on who wins the heart and what they lead when they do. But I presume the early play is what is critical.

#3 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2017-February-06, 15:25

My very unimaginative plan is just to knock out the A before playing on spades, preserving entries to the J if the spade finesse is working.

I'll play the 8 from dummy at trick 1, hopefully creating a third diamond stopper should I need it.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users