• You cannot reply to this topic

Bridge Writing Style Guide

#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-February-04, 06:12

http://rpbridge.net/7z69.htm

I just read this on R.P site and thought I should share it.
You all probably already know it but if there those of you like me who did not know some of these, you may find it useful since what we all do here is writing about bridge.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-05, 08:07

I disagree with the point about 10 versus T. I think T greatly increases readability and should generally be preferred, as suggested later in the section on diagrams.
(-: Zel :-)

#3 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2017-February-05, 12:53

T is pretty good as it is consistent with AKQJT = honours. On the other hand if you manage to squeeze in 10 in the same space as the other cards, it is kind of worthy of admiration.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#4 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-05, 20:12

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-February-05, 08:07, said:

I disagree with the point about 10 versus T. I think T greatly increases readability and should generally be preferred, as suggested later in the section on diagrams.

On this site, why not use the built in hand editor that makes things a lot more readable

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-February-06, 01:38

View Postjohnu, on 2017-February-05, 20:12, said:

On this site, why not use the built in hand editor that makes things a lot more readable

Here is what happens when you use 10 instead of T. Both majors have same length but the one with the 10 looks longer to the eye.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-06, 06:28

This style guide is excellent. When I was producing newsletters I found that I had to develop things from scratch - this would have been an excellent starting reference.

A few comments:
(1) I disagree with Richard over capitalisation of the names of conventions. I think that, even if the name of the convention has not been derived from a proper name (e.g. Blackwood), the bridge usage of the name has now become a proper name. I feel that it is preferable to capitalise all convention names - e.g:
- Asptro
- Lebensohl
- Roman Key-card Blackwood

I note that the British magazines seem to adopt this approach. I'm not sure if this is a regional difference.

(2) I am interested that Richard uses notrump as a word, without hypenation. I'm not sure that I've encountered this and think that hyphenation is more normal. The current (February 2017) issue of English Bridge manages to use no-trump and no trump on the same page (P. 31): "I found someone who was happy to play a 12-14 no trump" and later "Because the average French player has little or no exposure to the weak no-trump"

(3) Richard has identified regional differences in the spelling of bridge terms. There are other regional differences.

One issue that Richard doesn't address is my pet irritation is the use of "trump" as both a plural and singular. An american publication is likely to state "Declarer draws trump", even when the defenders clearly have four between them, whereas a British publication will state that "declarer draws trumps".

Richard doesn't address this issue directly, but he does use the example "... if declarer just bothered to draw trumps". Maybe Richard is more British than he thinks!

#7 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-06, 06:33

View PostMrAce, on 2017-February-06, 01:38, said:

Here is what happens when you use 10 instead of T. Both majors have same length but the one with the 10 looks longer to the eye.

Richard does state that T can be use when (as on this site) cards are given without spacing.

My personal preference is to use 10 rather than T.

#8 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-February-06, 09:58

If you use Chrome, there's an extension you can install that changes handviewer so it displays T instead of 10.

https://chrome.googl...dinfbcikkgfcfdp

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-February-06, 10:10

View Postbarmar, on 2017-February-06, 09:58, said:

If you use Chrome, there's an extension you can install that changes handviewer so it displays T instead of 10.

https://chrome.googl...dinfbcikkgfcfdp

Thank you Barry! I will do that.

#10 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2017-February-06, 10:24

I strongly prefer 10 to T - provided we have a special bridge font where there is a single-character 10. Otherwise, I use T for the shape issues discussed above.

I am surprised that more specialty bridge publishing houses haven't spent the time to create a single-width '10' character.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#11 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-06, 16:52

Kerning would help, but not only does the first suit look longer, it usually plays longer :P

#12 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-14, 10:41

View PostTramticket, on 2017-February-06, 06:28, said:

(2) I am interested that Richard uses notrump as a word, without hypenation. I'm not sure that I've encountered this and think that hyphenation is more normal. The current (February 2017) issue of English Bridge manages to use no-trump and no trump on the same page (P. 31): "I found someone who was happy to play a 12-14 no trump" and later "Because the average French player has little or no exposure to the weak no-trump"

According to the Oxford American English Dictionary on my computer, the correct version is "no-trump". The Oxford British English Dictionary has no entry for this term.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#13 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-14, 10:53

View Postblackshoe, on 2017-February-14, 10:41, said:

According to the Oxford American English Dictionary on my computer, the correct version is "no-trump". The Oxford British English Dictionary has no entry for this term.

The EBU house style guide seems to favour "no-trumps" with NT an acceptable alternative.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#14 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2017-February-14, 11:49

another reason to prefer 10 over T is that it is right for other languages.

#15 User is online   paulg 

Posted 2017-February-14, 12:11

View Postgordontd, on 2017-February-14, 10:53, said:

The EBU house style guide seems to favour "no-trumps" with NT an acceptable alternative.

My copy of the Laws has:

Denomination — the suit or no trump specified in a bid.

It is consistent in this usage. I looked over the IBPA site to see what they used and 'everything under the sun' would be a good description.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#16 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2017-February-15, 03:33

I find T much easier to read than 10. I would only use 10 if I were writing in a language in which 10 does not begin with a T (I suppose German's could use Z but I think that is uncommon). Thankfully, 10 starts with a T in English, Dutch and Danish and I rarely write about bridge in other languages.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#17 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2017-February-15, 04:20

I try to save space and energy by using

* 'T' instead of '10' (bonus: all rank symbols will then have the same width)
* 'N' instead of 'NT' (bonus: all denomination symbols will then have the same width)
* '(abcd)' and 'abcd' instead of 'a-b-c-d' and 'a=b=c=d', respectively.

#18 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2017-February-15, 09:48

View Postblackshoe, on 2017-February-14, 10:41, said:

How old is the entry I wonder. It has often been observed that the usage of hyphens in English has reduced over time so I could easily imagine that the correct form might originally have been no-trump, while the correct modern spelling is no trump. In any case, for bridge we must surely go by the Laws in the first place and assume no trump is indeed the correct form, even if it were the case that no-trump remained prevalent for every other trick-taking card game and was therefore the dictionary definition.
(-: Zel :-)

#19 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-February-15, 10:53

The use of hyphens depends on context. When a pair of words is being used together as an adjective, it's usually correct to hyphenate them, e.g. "a no-trump bid".

#20 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2017-February-16, 07:11

My webpage changes cards when you switch languages.

1RDV10 in french

AKQJ10 in english and spannish

AKDB10 in german

Although there is no real 10, it is I0

I was willing to do some more if I Ever got dutch or even swedish, although that Kn looked scary for me.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users