• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Order of play

#1 User is offline   portia2 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-February-04, 02:44

Take 2. Tricky on an Ipad!?
How do you give yourself the best chance to make this? Lead was J. And are you happy with the bidding?

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-February-04, 03:08

View Postportia2, on 2017-February-04, 02:44, said:

How do you give yourself the best chance to make this? And are you happy with the bidding?

My best chance is to go 9 down if they fail to create a trick for themselves.
Anyway, we will get a great result regardless since they failed to double!Posted Image

We know you made a typo in the auction but , please pay more attention when you ask a question and do not forget to tell us the lead. Do not expect people to reply and write a different line for all 13 possible leads!
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-04, 03:39

of course we're not happy with the bidding. the slam is close to no-play. the south hand is nowhere close to being worth 2C.

as for the play, lead the heart king and hope they take it then you cash the queen and try to squeeze west in hearts and diamonds. you need him to have the KD and 6 hearts or KD and the JT of hearts.

#4 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-04, 08:45

View Postwank, on 2017-February-04, 03:39, said:

of course we're not happy with the bidding. the slam is close to no-play. the south hand is nowhere close to being worth 2C.

as for the play, lead the heart king and hope they take it then you cash the queen and try to squeeze west in hearts and diamonds. you need him to have the KD and 6 hearts or KD and the JT of hearts.

Agree on all counts and north should at least try to find a 4-4 fit that may produce a grand (even if you only bid 6) or the only making slam with a spade ruff.

I would be reaching for the airsick bag if you made this one against me.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#5 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-04, 09:47

Genuine chances are negligible. Hope for an error in defense instead.
Playing the heart king early gives you very little chance whether they take the heart king or not.
In such scenarios it is almost always best to run your long suit immediately even though you do not visualize what will happen.
On the clubs discard a heart, a diamond and then another diamond.
In most cases continue with spades and discard a second heart.
Hope that someone, who will be out of spades, has the heart ace and the diamond king and blanks the heart ace.

Rainer Herrmann

#6 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-04, 09:50

deleted

#7 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2017-February-04, 10:55

I'll enter dummy with the A and play a small diamond towards my hand at trick 3, playing W and E for the A and K, respectively, and hoping that East will either play low or continue with a non-heart.

#8 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-04, 14:16

View Postnullve, on 2017-February-04, 10:55, said:

I'll enter dummy with the A and play a small diamond towards my hand at trick 3, playing W and E for the A and K, respectively, and hoping that East will either play low or continue with a non-heart.

In practical terms, I think this is the best shot. It would not be the first time a slam made when the setting trick was there for the taking.
Ken

#9 User is offline   portia2 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-February-05, 03:42

Thanks all. In fact W held a singleton K and so the contract could have been made. (It wasn't!)

#10 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2017-February-05, 05:09

I would only consider opening the South hand 2 if playing Benji. An auction like 1 - 1; 2 - 3; 3NT gets us to a good spot easily enough. If treating the hand as balanced, a 2NT opening seems to represent the values more accurately than 2 followed by 2NT.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#11 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2017-February-05, 06:53

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-February-05, 05:09, said:

I would only consider opening the South hand 2 if playing Benji. An auction like 1 - 1; 2 - 3; 3NT gets us to a good spot easily enough. If treating the hand as balanced, a 2NT opening seems to represent the values more accurately than 2 followed by 2NT.

The beginning auction 1C-1H-2D would surely produce a game-forcing 3D from N, would it not? I am assuming that, over 2D, N has the option of 2NT and then 3D to sign off in Ds. Life being as it is, the reverse into 2D is sometimes a fake, But it is not always a fake.If S has real diamonds then N can surely be thinking of 6D. Give S the holding Axx/ K / KQxx/ KQJxx and, If diamonds split, we have 12 tricks via five clubs (throwing a spade and a heart), four diamonds, one heart, one spade, one ruff.
I like 1C-1H-2D well enough but we do need a way to say "just kiddin' about the diamonds" after 2D is raised to 3D. We need to hope 3NT over 3D says that.
Ken

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users