BBO Discussion Forums: Balancing seat. Your Bid - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Balancing seat. Your Bid 2/1 ACBL

Poll: Balancing seat (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Your bid

1. Pass (10 votes [58.82%])

Percentage of vote: 58.82%

2. Reopening double (7 votes [41.18%])

Percentage of vote: 41.18%

3. something else (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   dickiegera 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-February-03, 08:11

What is your bid?

#2 User is online   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-February-03, 09:59

I balance less and less as I age. Partner probably has few hearts and didn't act, that tells me something. I see three tricks in my hand but what do I do for an encore? Cowardly or wise, I don't know, but I pass it out.
Ken

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-03, 14:01

When we ask hands with 11-15 hcp and 5332 shape what to do over weak 2, most good players here prefer to pass, which I agree. That is because we rely on partner balancing. Obviously we may have a pd who passed with such a hand but that does not mean we need to balance every hand. I am not worried about my shape but about where my values are. White vs White I totally understand the pass especially at IMPs. Risk/gain ratio is important.

At MP, however, I very rarely get good results leaving them in 2 major. Bidding can also win when it is wrong. Doubling a part score is still one of the taboos for many players, even at MP, so we may get away with it when it is wrong, or it can be right for this hand or they may feel like competing which means that they will play 1 level higher to get the same result (that is an extra ace for defense, for us). So I would definitely make a move at MP.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2017-February-05, 22:04

View PostMrAce, on 2017-February-03, 14:01, said:

When we ask hands with 11-15 hcp and 5332 shape what to do over weak 2, most good players here prefer to pass, which I agree. That is because we rely on partner balancing. Obviously we may have a pd who passed with such a hand but that does not mean we need to balance every hand. I am not worried about my shape but about where my values are. White vs White I totally understand the pass especially at IMPs. Risk/gain ratio is important.

At MP, however, I very rarely get good results leaving them in 2 major. Bidding can also win when it is wrong. Doubling a part score is still one of the taboos for many players, even at MP, so we may get away with it when it is wrong, or it can be right for this hand or they may feel like competing which means that they will play 1 level higher to get the same result (that is an extra ace for defense, for us). So I would definitely make a move at MP.

I agree with your matchpoint sentiment. However when we hold AK in their suit, then they will have cards we need in other suits to make a contract viable for us. AK2 is too heavy in their suit for me to act here, IMHO.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#5 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-06, 16:32

If I had a holding in hearts like KQT I would not hesitate to pass but here the AK work well opposite almost any holding p might have. There are far too many instances where p has a 5/6 card minor and a fair hand but has to pass due to suit quality. Whatever p needs we have. It can indeed be wrong but will almost never be spectacularly wrong. Game is certainly not out of the question though it looks sort of far off. I can almost understand a pass at MP but at imps it seems almost criminal.

X marks the spot

#6 User is offline   xavierf 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-February-07, 14:02

The AK in H are too ugly in imp,
P will often not have enough to make a game, especially if you overcall not too conservative.

In mp i would dbl and hope i can get a plus score or they go to 3H.

#7 User is offline   maartenxq 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-February-08, 09:14

Think you must act here at any scoring. We may make something, we may have a save, they can bid (wrongly) higher. Some days we will go for a number but that's life. Reasoning like this bidding is 75% on. These are better odds than the 50% you get in any lottery: either you win or you loose.
Maarten Baltussen

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users