• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

a team retires

#1 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-January-30, 17:31

We had this situation where a player got sick, and one team had to retire because they couldn't find a substitute.

It was a 7 round robin (8 teams) rotation.

The team that retired had already played (and lost) agains 2 teams.

Director decided that all their results were thrown out and considered a bye. But it looks bizarre to me. Is he right?

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-30, 18:31

View PostFluffy, on 2017-January-30, 17:31, said:

We had this situation where a player got sick, and one team had to retire because they couldn't find a substitute.

Director decided that all their results were thrown out and considered a bye. But it looks bizarre to me. Is he right?

It seems fair enough. If the retiring team had played more than half of the teams, it might be a bit more problematic. But anyway pretending that they weren't there in the first place, if it can be practically done, seems to me like the best solution.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-31, 01:52

It depends on the conditions of contest but it's commonly done when they have played less than half their matches.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#4 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-January-31, 12:15

In Seattle we run a long round robin, and this is in the conditions of contest:

Forfeits: Teams are expected to play all of their matches, even if they are out of contention. That said, a forfeited match is scored as follows: The offending team receives 0 VPs and is removed from playoff eligibility. The non-offending team gets the maximum of (a) their average Victory Point total in all of their non-forfeited matches, (b) the average Victory Point total of the opponents of the offending side in all of the offending side's non-forfeited matches, or © 18 Victory Points. However if a team plays fewer than three matches, then any played matches against that team are cancelled. If this results in some teams playing more matches than others, then average VPs in matches played will be used to determine the entrants to the knockout phase. It is recommended that teams schedule matches early in the season to avoid having trouble finding dates in the last few weeks. If the round robin commissioner determines that a team has not made an adequate effort to schedule with another team, a forfeit may be awarded. Teams may not withdraw at the half of a regular season match.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users