BBO Discussion Forums: BBO Bugging Out Every Time ISP Bugs Out - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

BBO Bugging Out Every Time ISP Bugs Out Anything that could be done?

#1 User is offline   AAr 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-January-27, 16:38

I love BBO, but this is my main problem.

My ISP has complete outages about five minutes at a time and about thirteen times a day. I've had similar problems with all my past ISPs as well. Every time I get bugged out from my ISP, I get logged out of BBO. I talked to a yellow about this, and she said that the problem is strictly on my end and recommended that I call my ISP and have one of the their service technicans come out to my house and check out the wiring and equipment and fix/replace anything that my need it.

My advice would be, and this would be the one thing that IMO, if it can be done, would really help my experience with BBO. That would be to somehow fix the servers (Again, if this is not possible, I understand.) that instead of getting logged out immediately when the ISP bugs out as it does now, that I can stay on BBO for about three to five minutes from the time my ISP goes out (even with lags and such, which is OK as it would serve as a warning) and then get logged out after that time passes.

I am planning on eventually either calling my ISP to have a service technican come to my house, or to change ISPs completely within the next few weeks to months. I'm just wondering what you would advise.

Thanks!

#2 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-January-27, 17:59

I have a similar issue - when my tablet switches from wifi to data connection (or from one wifi network to another - there are two both at work and at home), I get booted. The connection doesn't even have to drop - just change.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-January-28, 13:20

View PostAAr, on 2017-January-27, 16:38, said:

My advice would be, and this would be the one thing that IMO, if it can be done, would really help my experience with BBO. That would be to somehow fix the servers (Again, if this is not possible, I understand.) that instead of getting logged out immediately when the ISP bugs out as it does now, that I can stay on BBO for about three to five minutes from the time my ISP goes out (even with lags and such, which is OK as it would serve as a warning) and then get logged out after that time passes.

What about the other players, who are waiting for you to play? Should they have to wait 5 minutes for you to come back, too?

Anyway, this would not be an easy change for us to make. BBO logins are tied to TCP connections, and a TCP connection will not stay open across several minutes of communication failure. We would have to make major design changes to separate them.

#4 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-January-28, 13:22

View Postmycroft, on 2017-January-27, 17:59, said:

I have a similar issue - when my tablet switches from wifi to data connection (or from one wifi network to another - there are two both at work and at home), I get booted. The connection doesn't even have to drop - just change.

When you change networks, your IP probably changes. TCP connections are specific to a particular IP. And as I mentioned above, BBO logins are tied to a specific connection. So when your IP changes, the connection drops, and you get logged out.

#5 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-January-30, 10:20

Yeah, makes sense, and likely exactly what's happening. Still annoying. Just raised it in case there was a way to solve it.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#6 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-January-30, 10:32

View Postmycroft, on 2017-January-30, 10:20, said:

Yeah, makes sense, and likely right. Still annoying. Just raised it in case there was a way to solve it.

I understand where you're coming from. Most mobile games and multimedia applications automatically reconnect when your connection changes. The problem is that our general architecture was designed for desktop applications.

#7 User is offline   AAr 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-February-04, 22:09

I understand about waiting time, although I do think that five minutes should be the standard as to how long to wait before removing a player from a table in either the MBC or a tournament.

My question is this: These short ISP service disruptions occur about thirteen times a day. Is service disruptions that often normal, or do I likely have an equipment problem? I tried resetting the router. Should I do that again. Or, should I call my ISP and have a technician sent to my house, which is what people are telling me to do? Or, should I switch ISPs?

Thanks

#8 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-February-05, 19:23

View PostAAr, on 2017-February-04, 22:09, said:

I understand about waiting time, although I do think that five minutes should be the standard as to how long to wait before removing a player from a table in either the MBC or a tournament.

5 minutes? That's an entire board in a tournament. People usually start getting antsy if someone takes more than 30 seconds to respond. You really expect people in the MBC to sit there twiddling their thumbs for several minutes?

My question is this: These short ISP service disruptions occur about thirteen times a day. Is service disruptions that often normal, or do I likely have an equipment problem? I tried resetting the router. Should I do that again. Or, should I call my ISP and have a technician sent to my house, which is what people are telling me to do? Or, should I switch ISPs?

This definitely sounds like a problem with your connection. Call the ISP.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users