BBO Discussion Forums: How to proceed here? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to proceed here?

#21 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2017-January-26, 09:30

View Postnekthen, on 2017-January-26, 08:22, said:

As a side note, I think it is amusing that the addition of a practically worthless J would completely change the bidding around as you will now open 1N and I will open 1 B-)

I agree with you.With 2 suits wide open it is stupid to open 1NT if a silly Jack is added to the hand given.An international did open 1NT on suc a hand against me when he was red VS white .It went all pass,The fist 9 tricks were taken by the opponents.Minus 300 when opponents could have made only 9 Tricks in a spade contract which is what happened at all the remaining tables.Some 1NT (!!!) opening with Jxx-AKxx-AKxx-xx.just done " to preempt opponents".

#22 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-January-26, 09:55

View PostJoe_Old, on 2017-January-26, 09:27, said:

Since this is 2/1, don't ever, ever, ever rebid 3 as that is an invitational, non-forcing bid.

My bid is 3, a splinter and slam invitational. It confirms a heart fit and implies values. Partner is invited to show first round control at the 4 level (100% forcing).

I have sympathy for 3, a cue bid, as partner can now show a stopper with 3 (forcing, because once responder starts a cue bidding sequence, all bids are forcing below game). 3 cannot be a second suit or game try in this sequence, except by prior agreement, because once an 8+ fit is found modern practice requires responder to bid game with an unappealing minimum or investigate slam. Here, 1 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 3 - 3 would guarantee the A, A or K, and second round control in spades.

Hm, not so sure about this. The system used by Bridge Magazine for its bidding competition is 2/1 and supposed to be based on best current expert practice. It clearly states "When responder's suit is raised a return to opener's suit is forcing." The panel includes Bobby Wolff and Mike Lawrence amongst others, who presumably know their stuff.

#23 User is offline   dave_beer 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-26, 09:56

I play that 3 is forcing for one round but would bid 4 which I play as a slam try and usually shows 5-5.

#24 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-26, 11:01

View PostJoe_Old, on 2017-January-26, 09:27, said:

Since this is 2/1, don't ever, ever, ever rebid 3 as that is an invitational, non-forcing bid.

Do you have some literature to back up this assertion? Traditionally sequences of the 1m - 1M; 2M - 3m type are forcing and I am not aware of any high level pairs playing them as NF, let alone doing so without a gadget available to cover the hands that would want to force with a double fit.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#25 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-26, 11:18

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-January-26, 11:01, said:

Do you have some literature to back up this assertion? Traditionally sequences of the 1m - 1M; 2M - 3m type are forcing and I am not aware of any high level pairs playing them as NF, let alone doing so without a gadget available to cover the hands that would want to force with a double fit.

I see that Bridge World Standard uses a return to opener's minor as forcing. http://www.bridgewor...system.html#IVH

#26 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Football, Coaching, Family, Writing

Posted 2017-January-26, 13:01

View Postnekthen, on 2017-January-26, 05:25, said:

So 4 would be Romex Gerber? Partner shows you both major suit aces with 4N. You now do not know about the K partner could be
AKxx
AJxx
xxx
xx

There is a reason Gerber should only be used for NT hands

If my partner did not show diamond control, I would not bid the slam!!
I have used Romex for 40 years and find that, while nothing is perfect the advantages of knowing exact controls far outweighs the type of hand you invented.

#27 User is offline   Joe_Old 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-26, 16:52

View PostGrahamJson, on 2017-January-26, 09:55, said:

Hm, not so sure about this. The system used by Bridge Magazine for its bidding competition is 2/1 and supposed to be based on best current expert practice. It clearly states "When responder's suit is raised a return to opener's suit is forcing." The panel includes Bobby Wolff and Mike Lawrence amongst others, who presumably know their stuff.

How do you invite?

If you use 2NT, 3 and 3 as invites showing different hand patterns, that leaves and bids as game forces, as well as 4.

#28 User is offline   Joe_Old 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-26, 17:36

View PostGrahamJson, on 2017-January-26, 09:55, said:

Check GIB 2/1. 3 is a game try suit, 10+ points, forcing only to 3. Other expert systems make 3 invitational only.

I know robots can't be trusted, but the GIB bidding system itself was set up by a respected world class player. I "forget" the name.

#29 User is offline   Caitlynne 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-26, 18:57

3D is unequivocally the correct textbook rebid for responder. It is 100% forcing; there is little benefit to debating with partner about which is better or safer - a minor suit part-score at a higher level vs. a major suit part-score at one level lower. (And on what basis could you make that determination anyway?)

Much more valuable is to use the bid naturally to show support or where additional length is - either as a game try or, as here, as a hint toward slam. If, for example in the present situation, partner tries to decline/sign-off with 3H, you would simply raise to 4H. However, should partner do something more encouraging below 4H - e.g. bid 3S - now you can cooperate with a 4C cue bid.

You can't really do much more unless you are even stronger, of course, but the principle is evident.

#30 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-26, 23:53

View Postnekthen, on 2017-January-26, 06:36, said:

On this sequence I think a 3 card raise, highly unlikely, what shape could p have? I assume vanilla 2/1 means 5 card major and strong NT. Unless p has 4 hearts he must rebid 1N with a weak NT holding 3 hearts. Could he have 1-3-5-4? I would have thought he bids 2

In fact I can imagine more cases where he opened a 3 card suit and raised with 4

Absolutely correct .It will be almost next to impossible to construct ,let alone visualise ,a hand raising responders suit,which is known to be only a 4 card suit with Jxx? This HAS to be a FOUR card support.

#31 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-27, 00:14

View PostCaitlynne, on 2017-January-26, 18:57, said:

3D is unequivocally the correct textbook rebid for responder. It is 100% forcing; there is little benefit to debating with partner about which is better or safer - a minor suit part-score at a higher level vs. a major suit part-score at one level lower. (And on what basis could you make that determination anyway?)

Much more valuable is to use the bid naturally to show support or where additional length is - either as a game try or, as here, as a hint toward slam. If, for example in the present situation, partner tries to decline/sign-off with 3H, you would simply raise to 4H. However, should partner do something more encouraging below 4H - e.g. bid 3S - now you can cooperate with a 4C cue bid.

You can't really do much more unless you are even stronger, of course, but the principle is evident.

To say simply.in your words,it is an One round force,since you say that Opener may decline and Sign Off in 3 H.Now is this sign off bid Forcing on responder or not?If not ,then the 3D bid is only an invitational bid ,and if yes then it is a game forcing bid telling Opener that you were going to bid a game anyway, but you wanted to show where your values are.Am I right? Or does it ask the opener to start cuebidding ,whatever his hand is( he has already shown a limited hand).?

#32 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2017-January-27, 02:55

View PostJoe_Old, on 2017-January-26, 17:36, said:

Check GIB 2/1. 3 is a game try suit, 10+ points, forcing only to 3. Other expert systems make 3 invitational only.

Forcing to 3 is not the same as invitational. Do you not think that that bidding system allows Responder to continue after a 3 call from Opener? What you perhaps mean to say is that 3 is forcing and INV+. That is something quite different. Once again, I ask you for some documentation to your assertion of other expert bidding systems making 3 invitational only. There may be - I do not know them all - but I doubt very much that there is a single top level system doing so without using 2 or 2NT as a relay. Most of the CCs of top pairs are available online these days - please provide some links!

Happy New Year everyone!

#33 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-27, 04:35

View PostGrahamJson, on 2017-January-26, 06:47, said:

While it is true that red suit values are at a premium, the most important issue is whether there are wasted values in spades or not.
An advanced player will also take into account his own length in spades. 3 or 4 cards in spades are much better than 2 or less.
Rainer Herrmann

On the other hand xx Axxx AKxx xxx has no play for six. I'm not so sure that slam is as likely as most others think. Therefore I prefer 3D, seeing if partner can make a positive noise. If he can't then I'm happy to play in 4H.

Why don't you read what you quote?
This is an argument for the splinter not against it.
Splinters are designed to keep you out of no play slams.

Rainer Herrmann

#34 User is offline   Joe_Old 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-27, 09:04

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-January-27, 02:55, said:

Forcing to 3 is not the same as invitational. Do you not think that that bidding system allows Responder to continue after a 3 call from Opener? What you perhaps mean to say is that 3 is forcing and INV+. That is something quite different. Once again, I ask you for some documentation to your assertion of other expert bidding systems making 3 invitational only. There may be - I do not know them all - but I doubt very much that there is a single top level system doing so without using 2 or 2NT as a relay. Most of the CCs of top pairs are available online these days - please provide some links!

The point is that there is no consensus on whether 3 is invitational, forcing to 3 or forcing to game, so don't bid 3 unless you know your partner's preference.

#35 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-27, 09:25

View PostJoe_Old, on 2017-January-27, 09:04, said:

The point is that there is no consensus on whether 3 is invitational, forcing to 3 or forcing to game, so don't bid 3 unless you know your partner's preference.

It only matters if you think partner might take it as nonforcing and pass it with something like 1354 11-count.

Whether he takes it as a slam try or a game try doesn't matter as long as he won't pass it with a minimum but correct to 3.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#36 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2017-January-27, 11:00

View PostJoe_Old, on 2017-January-27, 09:04, said:

Why would it be a problem unless partner passes? And you still have not provided any evidence of top level pairs that play 3 as non-forcing, let alone a random partner who will surely be playing it forcing just as >99.9% of players do.

Happy New Year everyone!

#37 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-27, 20:39

View Postel mister, on 2017-January-26, 07:41, said:

What actually happened was that I played in 6 through a rudimentary bidding sequence that I won't detain you with, making on a spade lead. Partner showed up with AKT T43 AK54 986
Playing in game is fine on these cards. Half the time you're going to have two trump losers. This time you didn't and you still could have been beaten. Frankly I would rather be in game than slam on these cards. Those who splintered will stay out of slam because of the spade wastage opposite the singleton. However, it sounds like "splinters" don't mean anything to you and you could have (in theory) avoided that issue by posting in the Novice/Beginner forum. I'd like to think that although many experts do answer questions in that forum, they try to restrict their answers to something that would be understood by a novice or beginner, which I would not expect in this forum. (I say "I'd like to think" instead of "I'd expect" because there was a lot of talk of splinters in a recent N/B forum thread.)

#38 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-27, 20:42

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-January-27, 11:00, said:

Why would it be a problem unless partner passes? And you still have not provided any evidence of top level pairs that play 3 as non-forcing, let alone a random partner who will surely be playing it forcing just as >99.9% of players do.
Less than 1 in a thousand play that non-forcing? Surely you jest. If I asked the 70 players in my intermediate class, I'd bet at least 10 of them would say non-forcing. (This would be true even if I had taught it as forcing last week :P ) And any one of them could potentially be the random partner you speak of.

#39 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2017-January-27, 21:25

What tripe. When I read threads like this I am concerned about the quality of the forums.

Gerber.
3D being NF.
A jump meaning ANYTHING but a splinter.

Cant believe my eyes. Ugh.

Rhm is correct (and anyone else that agreed with him).

Back to bidding school for the rest of ya.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#40 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-27, 21:40

View PostJoe_Old, on 2017-January-26, 17:36, said:

I know robots can't be trusted, but the GIB bidding system itself was set up by a respected world class player. I "forget" the name.

I don't know if there was a world class player involved in setting up GIB bidding, but the developer Ginsberg wasn't a world class player. Even if there was a player involved that was world class, they may have played an eccentric, non-standard system, and I seriously doubt that they were involved in much more than opening bids and overcalls, first responses, opener rebids, and some 2nd round responder bids. The number of possible bids as you get into responders' 2nd bids and openers' 3rd bids start to get way out of hand. Some developer either filled in the missing bids, or developed an algorithm to find a reasonable bid.

As an example, when you bid a game in a competitive auction when partner hasn't shown much of anything and you see that GIB thinks you have 25-30 points. This may be a sacrifice, a 2 way bid, or a value bid hoping partner will put down a decent hand. No way a world class (or expert, intermediate, or even most beginners) would specify that GIB interpret that bid as 25-30. Other times, a bid is undefined in the bidding matrix and GIB passes out of the blue. These aren't designed as part of the system, they are bugs.

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users