BBO Discussion Forums: Defense against strong two club opening - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Defense against strong two club opening

#41 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-February-03, 03:30

It is not absolutely clear what is meant here but if 2NT shows the minors, as originally stated, then the term anchor suit is inappropriate. On the other hand, if 2NT really shows + or then anchor suit would indeed be correct.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#42 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2017-February-04, 10:58

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-February-03, 03:30, said:

It is not absolutely clear what is meant here but if 2NT shows the minors, as originally stated, then the term anchor suit is inappropriate. On the other hand, if 2NT really shows + or then anchor suit would indeed be correct.

It is right what you say because indetermination for second unspecified suit in original "Astro" whilest in my variation vs 2 all couple of suits are known (in second round for 2 ambiguous) as you can see in my post #25. Than talking about two suits is better use term "Higher Suit (i.e.)" and "Lower Suit(i.e.)" (for ranking).

#43 User is offline   AyunuS 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-February-05, 01:10

Defense against 2 is tricky. I find that it's best to NOT just bid every good suit. Consider this, if you have KQJxx, and you bid them, with no other points, you probably just blew it. Why? Well, they'll probably both bid and realize they have a ton of points, and as soon as one of them notices they have an Axxx in the suit you bid, they'll know it's facing shortness and all of their partner's points are in the other suits, and then they can bid higher than if you hadn't interfered. But if you have the same and 2 aces of other suits, you have to bid something, even with only a 5-card suit. They can't slam, and your partner leading your suit to help you establish it is huge.

Other than that, I'd mostly just bid naturally against 2. Although I'd recommend using a couple gadgets, such as double to mean both majors and 2NT to mean both minors, if you want ways to show a few more different hands. I find these the most important since if you have a major and a minor, it's better to bid the major anyways as it'll give them less bidding room at the same level, and is the more important suit for your partner to know in 3NT defense. Honestly this is enough to cover everything I feel all that important and it seems good to use the other bids for just as safe as you can possibly get away with type of bids.

Honestly you probably can't find much because there isn't much else you can do that would help any more than this.

#44 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-05, 02:52

View PostAyunuS, on 2017-February-05, 01:10, said:

Defense against 2 is tricky. I find that it's best to NOT just bid every good suit. Consider this, if you have KQJxx, and you bid them, with no other points, you probably just blew it. Why? Well, they'll probably both bid and realize they have a ton of points, and as soon as one of them notices they have an Axxx in the suit you bid, they'll know it's facing shortness and all of their partner's points are in the other suits, and then they can bid higher than if you hadn't interfered. But if you have the same and 2 aces of other suits, you have to bid something, even with only a 5-card suit. They can't slam, and your partner leading your suit to help you establish it is huge.

Other than that, I'd mostly just bid naturally against 2. Although I'd recommend using a couple gadgets, such as double to mean both majors and 2NT to mean both minors, if you want ways to show a few more different hands. I find these the most important since if you have a major and a minor, it's better to bid the major anyways as it'll give them less bidding room at the same level, and is the more important suit for your partner to know in 3NT defense. Honestly this is enough to cover everything I feel all that important and it seems good to use the other bids for just as safe as you can possibly get away with type of bids.

Honestly you probably can't find much because there isn't much else you can do that would help any more than this.

The aim because i address at URL in post#24, is where you can see and have already the schemes and reponses of convention that acts in the same way as Astro that is very duttile and ,combining those, are covered many bidding situations. Than if you like or think is better you can change but probably have to remanage anything.

#45 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-05, 03:41

View PostAyunuS, on 2017-February-05, 01:10, said:

Other than that, I'd mostly just bid naturally against 2. Although I'd recommend using a couple gadgets, such as double to mean both majors and 2NT to mean both minors, if you want ways to show a few more different hands.

Yes, Mathe is fairly effective and probably the best choice for the vast majority of serious I/A pairs. Many use it even at the highest level.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#46 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2017-February-05, 09:40

View PostLovera, on 2017-January-24, 15:31, said:

About this argoument i have not found much. Although probably has to be much convenient to interefer with the aim to prevent informations in partnership. Infact, having a suit with 7/8 cards in a range of about 7/8 - 12/13 points and a top honor (or two) can be bid it at third level whilest with a suit more supported (three honors/+) the bidding can be taken at fourth level. How do you think about it ?

Let's clarify the discussion.

2 - ?

You want to know when should the inteventor bid? Inteventor is a made up word by bridge writers. Therefore the word probably doesn't appear in normal translations.

This is one of my favorite subjects. First to bid at the 4 level or higher one must be non-vul and needs at least 10 cards(6-4 or better) in two suits. Think in terms of playing tricks, not high card points. Other than an ace, points in the short suits are bad for your side.

#47 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-05, 20:20

View PostLovera, on 2017-January-25, 04:34, said:

Two hands of this type :1) West KJ109 KQJ98742 - 5 North A875432 - AKQJ10 A East Q 10653 76 876432 South 6 A 985432 KQJ109 (7 for N-S, 7 by W then 7NT by S). 2) West 532 AKQ109532 - 95 North 94 6 Q82 AJ108743 East - J874 J10976543 6 South AKQJ10876 - AK KQ2 Bidding:S 2 W 4 N 5 E(Ilyoucha Babovitch)6, 6 p p 7, X all pass.

I would like to remind you(Lovera) that many of us(posters) are over 70 years old. Posting a board in this manner gives me an headache.
Also it is better to show only one hand.

West KJ109 KQJ98742 - 5

What was the auction when this hand first had to act? Also give the vulnerability. I always assume imps unless the OP states MPs.

#48 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-06, 02:31

View Postjogs, on 2017-February-05, 09:40, said:

Let's clarify the discussion.

2 - ?

You want to know when should the inteventor bid? Inteventor is a made up word by bridge writers. Therefore the word probably doesn't appear in normal translations.

This is one of my favorite subjects. First to bid at the 4 level or higher one must be non-vul and needs at least 10 cards(6-4 or better) in two suits. Think in terms of playing tricks, not high card points. Other than an ace, points in the short suits are bad for your side.

Than you are saying to reserve the 4th level for hands having : 1)a long suit (7/+) plus a suit with four cards for 7/8 winners or 2) a one-suiter hand (8/+) for 9 winners? It can be. About the word "intervenor" i think it is a term indicating the bidder starting convention.

#49 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-06, 08:48

View PostLovera, on 2017-February-06, 02:31, said:

Than you are saying to reserve the 4th level for hands having : 1)a long suit (7/+) plus a suit with four cards for 7/8 winners or 2) a one-suiter hand (8/+) for 9 winners? It can be. About the word "intervenor" i think it is a term indicating the bidder starting convention.

interventor- is the player overcalling.
advancer- is the partner of the interventor.

The first bid can be natural or conventional. Opponents open, the first player of our partnership to bid(not pass) is the interventor.

After opponents open 2 strong, only consider a 4 level bid if both non-vul AND holding at least ten cards in two suits. Mainly you have a max of 3 losers in the side suits. In general when vul don't even bid on the 4 level unless you can make 10 tricks in your own hand.

#50 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-06, 09:21

View Postjogs, on 2017-February-06, 08:48, said:

After opponents open 2 strong, only consider a 4 level bid if both non-vul AND holding at least ten cards in two suits. Mainly you have a max of 3 losers in the side suits. In general when vul don't even bid on the 4 level unless you can make 10 tricks in your own hand.

You are of a winner more than me restricted. Although if opp cannot bid slam but only game partner surely will have one or two cards covering losers.

#51 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-06, 10:31

View Postjogs, on 2017-February-06, 08:48, said:

interventor- is the player overcalling.
advancer- is the partner of the interventor.

I found it on Wikipedia.
The word is spelled intervenor.

#52 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-06, 10:41

View Postjogs, on 2017-February-06, 10:31, said:

I found it on Wikipedia.
The word is spelled intervenor.

Infact in Astro Defense Method is used it and i thought can be a mistake (="intervenor" instead of "interventor") - The Astro bidder (Intervenor) promises nine cards in two suits -

#53 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-06, 10:59

View Postjogs, on 2017-February-05, 20:20, said:

I would like to remind you(Lovera) that many of us(posters) are over 70 years old. Posting a board in this manner gives me an headache.
Also it is better to show only one hand.

West KJ109 KQJ98742 - 5

What was the auction when this hand first had to act? Also give the vulnerability. I always assume imps unless the OP states MPs.

Neither bidding nor vulnerability is known for it. After 7, West defending with 7 takes South to 7NT instead double (factible on K lead).

#54 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-08, 02:55

For what has been told till now we can say that: the hands at second level are ruled as in Astro bidding mechanism; at third level are one-suiter hands with 6/+cards weak or the hands more strong that cannot bid directly at fourth level lacking any condition (to rebid then); directly at fourth level as indicated in post #48 (or equivalent shape) with a solid long suit. You can also gain if, not winning bidding, the other line remain off a better contract or them don't double.

#55 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-09, 18:38

View PostLovera, on 2017-February-06, 10:59, said:

Neither bidding nor vulnerability is known for it.

Vulnerability and bidding is critical to the decision making process.

My view is to NEVER preempt vul whenever opponents open a strong 2. Also rarely preempt vul whenever opponents open a strong 1.

#56 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-10, 07:43

View Postjogs, on 2017-February-09, 18:38, said:

Vulnerability and bidding is critical to the decision making process.

My view is to NEVER preempt vul whenever opponents open a strong 2. Also rarely preempt vul whenever opponents open a strong 1.

At this stage - first application of a new subject - you can think to insert restriction of any type (i.e. shape :5-5 instead 5-4 and/or vulnerabity: white and/or points :10/+) remembering that when you analyzed hands let try to find "rules" if to apply or not by-passed hands also when you are red (if it is possible).

#57 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-February-12, 04:33

When, in first round, starts the conventionated bidding you must have almost in one of the two suits so indicated an Ace or a King. As first opp is also to consider your favoureble position about top honors and conv. can be used when you are the second opp (i.e. 2 - p - 2 - X=the second opp shows + suits). I want remember what told for original Astro: "The Astro bidder (Intervenor) promises [almost] nine cards in two suits. The high card points should be mainly in the two suits and should be stronger if vulnerable. The high card points are a matter of partnership agreement, although it is imperative that the held (working) values be mainly in the two suits indicated. The recommended values lies within the range of a minimum of 9 and a maximum of 14 points. The general guideline is that the Astro bidder hold at least two of the top five honors."

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users