• You cannot reply to this topic

Your turn

#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-January-23, 01:24

MP

Do you agree with your previous pass? And what do you bid now? (4 NT will be minors)
Your pd is MrAce, if it matters.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-23, 02:55

I think I would have bid 5c before. Now 5h is tempting but isn't that a "futile willy" bid? Anyway, I think I just bid 5c now.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-January-23, 03:39

View Posthelene_t, on 2017-January-23, 02:55, said:

I think I would have bid 5c before. Now 5h is tempting but isn't that a "futile willy" bid? Anyway, I think I just bid 5c now.

What do you expect from partner?
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-23, 04:35

View PostMrAce, on 2017-January-23, 03:39, said:

What do you expect from partner?

AQxx-x-AKxx-Axxx as a minimum.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-23, 04:42

Double last time and 4NT now, though it matters a little bit how we play a direct 3 overcall. I expect partner to have a good flexible hand with heart shortage and 3-4 spades. 4=1=5=3 is definitely an option and in this case it would be nice to reach diamonds, or even spades, rather than clubs. I think bidding here would be clear at IMPs to be taking insurance. At MPs it is much more risky but my feeling is that it is nonetheless necessary, even though it would not be a huge shock if both sides are -1.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-January-23, 04:47

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-January-23, 04:42, said:

Double last time and 4NT now, though it matters a little bit how we play a direct 3 overcall. I expect partner to have a good flexible hand with heart shortage and 3-4 spades. 4=1=5=3 is definitely an option and in this case it would be nice to reach diamonds, or even spades, rather than clubs. I think bidding here would be clear at IMPs to be taking insurance. At MPs it is much more risky but my feeling is that it is nonetheless necessary, even though it would not be a huge shock if both sides are -1.

Direct 3 by pd would be strong 2 suiter. No leaping michaels.

#7 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-23, 06:28

I can understand pass last round, though double was also an option. Now I bid 4NT and hope 5m makes exactly (I expect partner to make it, but the undisclosed ace and king may be enough for slam).

ahydra

#8 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-23, 06:54

If I bid, it would be 4NT. But I'm not sure if it will play well with partner duplicating my shortage and the quality of my minor suits so weak.

Passing should usually get us a plus score - and on a good day they go for 500+.

#9 User is online   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2017-January-23, 09:33

Pass.

As above, if I bid, it would be 4NT.
What does p have? A strong 2 NT opener is the most common scenario.
The Ace of hearts, together with the shortage is actually a sign to
go low.
Move it to the minors, any you may have a hand worth a slam try.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#10 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-23, 12:26

If your style is to double on a 4342 or 4252 with slight extras I bid 4nt last time and thus time. Otherwise I bud 5C last time and this time.

#11 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2017-January-23, 12:38

I agree with previous passes. The hand certainly isn't an opener, then certainly don't want to be pushing 4 or higher if partner has made a light double.

Well, now that partner has shown extras it's time to come alive. Stiff A is a useful card if opponents have pushed to 4 on a 10 card fit. 4 is out as partner probably would have bid at some point with 5+. So the choice comes down to 4 NT showing 2 places to play and letting partner choose, or, just taking a preference to 5 . If I had some decent spots I'd be apt to bid 4 NT. But 8542 seems pretty meagre, so I'm opting to bid 5 .

#12 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2017-January-23, 13:31

Doubling on the last round would be pretty terrible with a sub-minimum and half our points in their suit.

Pretty close to pass or 4N to me - I expect a working 16 count at a minimum and a stiff or void heart.

AQxx x Axxx AQxx - I want to defend.

AQxx void Axxxx AQxx I want to bid.

But again, I do not have strong feelings on the 2nd round; probably depends on my opponents.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-January-23, 16:59

Thank you all.

I held

AQJx
xx
xxx
AKQx

Pd bid 4 NT and I bid 5 for down 1

4 was going down 3. For this hand passing would work better.
Perhaps I should not have doubled 2nd time and sit on 4 but it was MP and I knew we were being robbed. I knew pd could hold many hands that could not bid over 4.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users