• Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-January-21, 17:17

imps noone vul

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-January-21, 17:33

I was taught to bid over preempts assuming partner has about 8 pts and 2 card support. If you don't assume partner has something you will be robbed blind.
The down side if partner has a bust you've overbid.
So I believe South should bid 4.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-21, 17:40

Not clear with the preempt how good this game is and how you play it, not sure I'd blame anybody much.

#4 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-21, 17:55

South might do more - if NS were vul I would be quite nervous to bid only 3S. I think pass from North is automatic. Not all that much blame.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#5 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2017-January-21, 21:04

100% to West, surely...
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#6 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2017-January-22, 02:57

preempts work
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#7 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-22, 03:25

No blame. 4S looks nervewracking anyway with the clubs needing to be unblocked.

ahydra

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-22, 04:10

View PostCyberyeti, on 2017-January-21, 17:40, said:

Not clear with the preempt how good this game is and how you play it, not sure I'd blame anybody much.

View Postahydra, on 2017-January-22, 03:25, said:

ahydra

Jesus!
Now I can understand the "no blame" part in the auction but the complaints about 4 contract?
You almost have a claim when your 8 card fit spade splits 3-2 or 4-1 when someone has stiff J or Q and it is IMPs!
So assume they played 3 rounds of and you ruffed, even if you just cash AK you have close to a 80% game at imps. It is probably less than this due to the preempt as Cyber mentioned but noway it will reduce this to a level where you do not want to be in game.
When you calculate the number of vacant places due to preempt (assuming W has 7 and E has stiff ) QJxx with W is about 1.26% QJxx with E is 20% and QJxxx with E is about 9%. So yea the 3 opening reduces it by approximately 10% from 80% to 70% game.
I wish all my nerve-wrecking games were like this!
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#9 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2017-January-22, 12:53

So if NV the hand were KQ9xxx Axx xx xx would you pass out 3 ? Somehow I'd think most people would find a 3 bid with that holding to fight for the part score. If that's the case, then partner will never be able to decipher that 3 might be bid on this actual 16 point 6 loser hand.

So it comes down to either doubling and hoping to bid in the 2nd round, or, bidding 4 straight up. Take your choice, but do one or the other.

Me, with a reasonably good holding, I'd bid 4 and hope for the best. Don't know if it will make or not but it puts the opponents under pressure to make the next decision.

#10 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-22, 13:39

View Postahydra, on 2017-January-22, 03:25, said:

Agree, playing 3 will be more more soothing on the nerves :P

#11 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2017-January-22, 14:02

View PostMrAce, on 2017-January-22, 04:10, said:

Jesus!
Now I can understand the "no blame" part in the auction but the complaints about 4 contract?
You almost have a claim when your 8 card fit spade splits 3-2 or 4-1 when someone has stiff J or Q and it is IMPs!
So assume they played 3 rounds of and you ruffed, even if you just cash AK you have close to a 80% game at imps. It is probably less than this due to the preempt as Cyber mentioned but noway it will reduce this to a level where you do not want to be in game.
When you calculate the number of vacant places due to preempt (assuming W has 7 and E has stiff ) QJxx with W is about 1.26% QJxx with E is 20% and QJxxx with E is about 9%. So yea the 3 opening reduces it by approximately 10% from 80% to 70% game.
I wish all my nerve-wrecking games were like this!

3 rounds of diamonds is easy, try it on a stiff/doubleton looking heart to the 10-A.

There are plenty of bad things that can happen, and it's quite likely you won't get a diamond lead if preemptor has AQ.

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-January-22, 16:00

View PostCyberyeti, on 2017-January-22, 14:02, said:

3 rounds of diamonds is easy, try it on a stiff/doubleton looking heart to the 10-A.

There are plenty of bad things that can happen, and it's quite likely you won't get a diamond lead if preemptor has AQ.

If they lead anything else than diamonds, simply cash AK of spades and play 3 rd, you are still playing a decent game. Any game at imps with more than 50% odds to make is decent enough to play.
But do not forget, if W leads anything other than diamonds, and he is short, that reduces the bad break odds in spades. Posted Image
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#13 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-22, 16:10

In my partnership a 3 balance here just shows general optimism and this hand calls for double followed by 3.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#14 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2017-January-22, 16:59

View PostMrAce, on 2017-January-22, 16:00, said:

If they lead anything else than diamonds, simply cash AK of spades and play 3 rd, you are still playing a decent game. Any game at imps with more than 50% odds to make is decent enough to play.
But do not forget, if W leads anything other than diamonds, and he is short, that reduces the bad break odds in spades. Posted Image

1273 not unlikely, what are you doing if an honour drops from W under the A btw ?

#15 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-January-22, 19:14

View PostCyberyeti, on 2017-January-22, 16:59, said:

1273 not unlikely, what are you doing if an honour drops from W under the A btw ?

1273 and led ?

Anyway if W drops an honor on A, I may play Q of clubs, pretending like I am finessing to get a count. Probably cash the K of clubs too and play small to the T of spades. Will pay of if W did this from Hxx or QJx and stiff He should not have doubleton + 3 spades when he followed 2 rounds of clubs and especially when he did not lead clubs. Or I may decide to always cash AK of spades.
E dropping an honor is more tricky but if he had HHxx, I was gonna pay him anyway by cashing AK of spades.
In any case, 4 has much better odds than most games we play daily at imps Even if you cash AK of spades regardless of what they lead and drop 4 is a decent contract as oppose to you what you and ahydra thinks.
You have to understand that just because you have more than 1 clear way to play the hand and the odds are close to each other, does not make a game a bad one. That 4 has decent odds to play at imps, despite the 3 preempt and despite your attempts to change the subject we are debating on.

View PostCyberyeti, on 2017-January-21, 17:40, said:

Otoh, I agree with you that it may not be clear how to play it and I agree that it is not easy to blame the auction. It probably helps to know who the W player is and what he led and in which tempo he dropped an honor on my K. (not A)

#16 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2017-January-23, 09:36

South, if there is blame, which I am not sure.
North has no assurance of a fit.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#17 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2017-January-23, 09:36

<duplicate>
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#18 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-23, 11:00

N should go ahead and bid 4s at IMPS (at MP pass since reaching game not so big a deal). N is around max for what p might expect but also has some extra plusses that make stretching for game worthwhile.
1. Relatively long diamonds increase the likelihood south is short in diamonds.
2. doubleton support is hardly wonderful but at least its a couple more spades the opps do not have.
3. Possible source of length tricks in hearts
4. club ace is a good game card and a possible entry to long hearts.

Preempts work and I applaud the 3s bidder for having good discipline with this ho hum suit.

Some have suggested a x here but there is a small chance we can really get overboard is N happens to have long clubs and we have to ruff diamonds with the KQ of clubs. Too much risk for too small a reward. I would rate pass as a better option than x.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users