• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 Diamond strong opener

#1 User is offline   bootface 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-January-19, 10:34

Hello:

A few members of my duplicate club are using a 1D bid to signal 15-17 points with unbalanced distribution. The only rule that I am aware of (or that they care to describe) is that a 2D response is weak.

Has anyone seen this convention and do they know what it's called. I presume they use the old Short Club instead of the Convenient Minor.

Thanks

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2017-January-19, 13:03

View Postbootface, on 2017-January-19, 10:34, said:

Hello:

A few members of my duplicate club are using a 1D bid to signal 15-17 points with unbalanced distribution. The only rule that I am aware of (or that they care to describe) is that a 2D response is weak.

Has anyone seen this convention and do they know what it's called. I presume they use the old Short Club instead of the Convenient Minor.

Thanks

to show such a specific range is unusual. 1D can be used as your strong forcing opening with a usual range of 16+ or 17+. The idea being a nebulous 1C being easier to handle than 1D,
Can look up Magic Diamond for an example.

Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-19, 15:06

I know of things like KlingerMiles' Unbalanced Diamond. Yes, the range is much wider than 15-17. What is frequently termed "Transfer Walsh" also frequently plays "1 is almost always unbalanced (some 6322s, rare 5422s, but we expect it to be unbalanced)". But again, full standard range.

I've played a really stupid system (5 rule club) where 1 was 13-15 unbalanced. Note that that was the entirety of the agreement (as I said, "really stupid" and "5 rules").

[Edit: Yes, of course I did. Just because I "know of" it, doesn't mean I can actually remember anything - like the author. Too much Keri on my mind I guess. Thanks PL.]
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#4 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2017-January-19, 19:48

View Postmycroft said:

I know of things like Klinger's Unbalanced Diamond.

Maybe you mean Miles Unbalanced Diamond?
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#5 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-26, 04:11

There are a few systems around that use 1 for a specified (non-minimum or open-ended) range and any shape. The best known is probably the Orient Bidding System, where a 1 opening shows 14-15hcp. Another that I have seen (but forgotten the name of) uses 1 for the 16-19 range. While these systems are workable, they tend to be much less homogeneous than the alternatives and suffer disproportionately in competition.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#6 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2017-January-26, 08:06

We played a strong Diamond System for a season and then gave it up. Vanderbilt had it right, a Strong Club needs the extra step in the response structure. However, playing 5-cd majors with a Strong Club gives you an ambiguous 1 opening.

Then there is the AFM System (American Forcing Minor) by Lutz and Fink, where 1 is 98% forcing (15-20 hcp) with 4+ or a balanced 15-17 and 1 of a major is 4-cards or better and 1 is 17+ hcp with a 5-cd major.
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users