BBO Discussion Forums: Transfers after partner doubles 1NT - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Transfers after partner doubles 1NT

#21 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-January-24, 13:46

Against a 12-14 1N, you have some reasonable chance of game. At IMPs, I think you should play systems on, as if doubler had opened a 15-17 1N. It's worth a somewhat frequent -180 to get a more rare +420/620.

If you don't do this, I think it's best to have all bids natural. For one thing, exit transfers and the like give opponents one more chance to bid and ways to show different ranges, et c.

#22 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-January-24, 17:15

My biggest issue with this is that, for the rare +X00/+X20 to be right, especially if you are going to pay off to "bad hands with clubs", it *also* has to significantly beat 1NTx-whatever.

As I said, I play "all natural", all NT ranges, all seats - but 2NT says "Partner, I don't think we're getting enough out of 1NTx to make up for our game". But I have to have a reason to pull 1NTx, not a reason to pass. Yes, it's clunky, and sometimes hard to find the *right* game, but as you said, it's rare, and I don't have to sit for -180 (or -2 or -380, either) with a bad hand and diamonds.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users