• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Signalling length with Qx

#1 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-January-18, 12:36

I blew the defence on a hand in a county match at the weekend. Teams-of-eight, cross-IMPs to VPs.

Opponents (EW) are playing Acol (but have a curious aversion to doubling 1NT overcalls).

We (NS) have an agreement that partner signals attitude on the lead of the ace, count on the lead of the king, at the five level or higher (standard signals, high-low to encourage or show an even number).

I led K to see how many tricks we could cash. I know that playing the queen under the ace or king normally shows the jack, unless it's a singleton (or the jack's in dummy), but does this apply in a situation where we're probably just trying to cash our tricks? I won't give the full deal, as I just want to know in principle if you think South should play the queen here.

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-18, 14:10

Should play small
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-18, 14:54

South should drop the 6 on the floor and announce "playing high" while bending down to pick up the card.

#4 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2017-January-19, 00:19

Play small. Partner will play a suit preference card (assuming length) to your Q next. If partner does play the Ace, two things are true: They'll know you held a doubleton, and 2) You need to have a conversation about what attitude signals mean.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#5 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-19, 01:52

View PostSteveMoe, on 2017-January-19, 00:19, said:

Play small. Partner will play a suit preference card (assuming length) to your Q next. If partner does play the Ace, two things are true: They'll know you held a doubleton, and 2) You need to have a conversation about what attitude signals mean.
Or a discussion about honor leads, The OP said the king asked for count.

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-19, 04:11

I think, given your agreements, the queen is the correct card and should not promise the knave. The discussion should probably focus on whether the agreement is optimal or could be tweaked.

As far as the auction goes, I am inclined to ask East whether they meant 2 as inverted or as a transfer (after 1NT). Either way an alert seems to be in order. I guess East is just a beginner though and has basically no idea what they are doing.
(-: Zel :-)

#7 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Football, Coaching, Family, Writing

Posted 2017-January-19, 04:14

play small and then change your defensive agreements so you avoid even having to ask the question

#8 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-19, 04:58

Good question. I would play small, and then wonder whether I should have played Q.....

#9 User is offline   Joe_Old 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-19, 08:06

Play small. Any agreement that requires partner to throw away a trick to signal is a bad agreement. Plus, signaling is always suggestive, never commanding, and always constrained by the cards you were dealt. Sometimes you just can't tell partner what you want to tell him.

#10 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2017-January-19, 09:16

Is it costing a trick? We know that Declarer has a singleton or void in spades. If that is a small singleton then they are going down regardless. If it is a singleton ace though, there is a real risk of a heart trick going away if we do not cash it immediately so partner needs to know that we do not have 3 hearts. The problem comes when Declarer has a spade void and the J. Now we are setting up Dummy's T and if Declarer has a small singleton spade, partner is going to need to cash their A immediately too. Unfortunately I cannot see a way of imparting both pieces of information in time so we have to decide which trick is more likely to go away. I think it is easier for partner to play us for an 8 card suit (rather than 9) than to pick us for Q6 over Qx6 on the false signal. Either way might cost a trick on the wrong layout but at least this way partner has a chance of doing something brilliant/lucky even when it is lying wrong for our choice.

#11 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-January-19, 09:34

Play upside down count and attitude.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#12 User is offline   nekthen 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-19, 10:26

Play the Q. Clearly you need to discuss this. Upside down count does solve the issue.
Clearly you can take 3 tricks if West hast Jxx. If West has Jx you only have 2 tricks. I am guessing you decided that p had the J and lead low at trick 2.
How could that possibly gain?
If S has QJ you have blown the ruff. If he has QJx, you can play A and another and have a word about always giving count. I assume you lead from AKxx. With more you should overcall 1H and with less you should lead the A for attitude. On the lead of the Ace S has a bigger problem as he must play the 6 denying the Q, because the Q really would show the J. Again reverse attitude solves most of the problem, because the Q would be stiff or showing the J.

#13 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-19, 11:36

View Postnekthen, on 2017-January-19, 10:26, said:

Play the Q. Clearly you need to discuss this. Upside down count does solve the issue.
Clearly you can take 3 tricks if West hast Jxx. If West has Jx you only have 2 tricks. I am guessing you decided that p had the J and lead low at trick 2.
How could that possibly gain?
If S has QJ you have blown the ruff. If he has QJx, you can play A and another and have a word about always giving count. I assume you lead from AKxx. With more you should overcall 1H and with less you should lead the A for attitude. On the lead of the Ace S has a bigger problem as he must play the 6 denying the Q, because the Q really would show the J. Again reverse attitude solves most of the problem, because the Q would be stiff or showing the J.

I know that upside-down signals would solve the problem, but switching is not an option. My partner is a dyed-in-the-wool traditionalist and won't change.

I didn't continue with a low heart, I switched to a spade. Declarer had the singleton ace and managed to discard his heart loser.

#14 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-19, 15:04

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-January-19, 09:34, said:

Play upside down count and attitude.

when you have the spot cards that fit the method. Otherwise play standard signals when you don't have the spot cards that fit the method.

#15 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-January-19, 17:02

View Postjohnu, on 2017-January-19, 15:04, said:

when you have the spot cards that fit the method. Otherwise play standard signals when you don't have the spot cards that fit the method.

OR....play the one that makes the most sense....low cards from strength and higher cards from weakness.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#16 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2017-January-19, 17:23

View Postnekthen, on 2017-January-19, 10:26, said:

Clearly you can take 3 tricks if West hast Jxx.

Declarer does not have Jxx. That would leave partner with AKx and that is an ace lead. Similarly partner does not have AKxxx as that would not be a 1NT overcall, so it is clear that partner has precisely AKxx. That seemed so obvious to me that it was not even worth putting into the previous post!

#17 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-19, 19:17

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-January-19, 17:02, said:

OR....play the one that makes the most sense....low cards from strength and higher cards from weakness.

If you had Q9 (instead of Q6), what card do you play to show strength playing upside down signals?

And don't bother preaching to me. I have played upside down signals longer than I can remember based on the sound theory, throw (sure) losers, keep (potential) winners.

#18 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-January-19, 20:18

View Postjohnu, on 2017-January-19, 19:17, said:

If you had Q9 (instead of Q6), what card do you play to show strength playing upside down signals?

And don't bother preaching to me. I have played upside down signals longer than I can remember based on the sound theory, throw (sure) losers, keep (potential) winners.

I would play the 9 - what would you play?

#19 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-19, 21:16

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-January-19, 20:18, said:

I would play the 9 - what would you play?

Playing upside down signals, I drop the 9 on the floor and and announce "playing low" while bending down to pick up the card.

#20 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-January-19, 23:39

View Postjohnu, on 2017-January-19, 21:16, said:

Playing upside down signals, I drop the 9 on the floor and and announce "playing low" while bending down to pick up the card.

Of course, looking at 5 hearts in dummy and the hearts in his own hand, there is a fairly good chance partner can work out the meaning of the 9 on his own.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users