BBO Discussion Forums: Where are passwords stored on 'Windows' version? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Where are passwords stored on 'Windows' version? Trying to recall my password.

#1 User is offline   Cybernan 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-January-16, 06:05

Hello all.

I've replaced a computer for a friend who runs the Windows version of BBO and now need to log him back on to the site on his new machine.

He always had his old PC set to 'remember password', and has since forgotten what it is! I have tried to find out where these passwords are stored - usually it's in the Browser used (eg Chrome, Firefox, etc) but have checked all these and find no trace there.

So, I'm guessing it's either stored on the BBO website or else in a sub-file under 'BBO' on his PC? I still do have his old PC, so can still go on to BBO on this, but I need to somehow try and transfer/locate/whatever his password from there on to the new machine!

Help please. Where can I find his password stored?

Thanks.

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-January-16, 09:30

If they have their email address in their profile, they can use the "Forgot your password" link on the web login page to reset their password.

#3 User is offline   Cybernan 

• Pip

Posted 2017-January-16, 14:21

View Postbarmar, on 2017-January-16, 09:30, said:

If they have their email address in their profile, they can use the "Forgot your password" link on the web login page to reset their password.

Thank you.

Sadly, he didn't include his email addy when he registered...

#4 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-January-16, 16:58

When you still can login to BBO with the old computer just do it and change the password there and maybe add the e-mail too.

#5 User is offline   Cybernan 

• Pip

Posted 2017-January-16, 17:38

View Postscarletv, on 2017-January-16, 16:58, said:

When you still can login to BBO with the old computer just do it and change the password there and maybe add the e-mail too.

I did look to see if I could do this before, but was nervous of trying it in case I lost the password that was already there.

Right! I've just done this - logged on, Settings, Profile, retyped a new password in each box, and clicked 'Apply'.

YEP! It worked!

Aw, maaaaaaaan - I am SO grateful :-) And my friend will be DELIGHTED when I tell him the good news tomorrow!

Thank you so much!

#6 User is offline   silvr bull 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-January-17, 08:07

This could be a good time to remind your friend that it is good to keep a copy of all passwords where he can get to it whenever he wants. I keep mine in a spreadsheet, and I store that spreadsheet in an encrypted space. That way, I need to remember only the one password to my encrypted space, and then I can find any other password I want. I also have several backup copies of that encrypted space (along with all my other data), in case one hard drive fails. better safe than out of luck.

#7 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-January-17, 10:41

I much prefer password safes. 1Password seems to be a go-to suggestion for people less paranoid than I (and less au fait with computer wrangling); I prefer KeePass2, because I own all the copies of the database. It does mean that I am solely responsible for the database being right where I need it, of course.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users