BBO Discussion Forums: Who's wrong? - an interesting hand - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Who's wrong? - an interesting hand

#1 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-January-13, 20:19

#2 User is offline   m1cha 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-January-13, 21:55

2NT: The length is nice, yet I find the hand 1 point short of a 2NT bid. I'd open 1 and rebid 2NT.

4: 1 HCP missing. On the other hand, if there's a fit, the North hand becomes very strong.

4: You are cheating by 1 card. This makes your hand appear much stronger than it is. Just imagine you hold A instead of Q, you will probably make a slam. The way to a good contract of 5 is also closed after bidding 4. Of course you don't know at that time that North holds five diamonds. You must have checked the alternatives to 4 and it seems you were not satisfied with any of them.

4: consequent.

5NT: 0 or 2 keycards and a void.

7: Somehow funny: With a void in spades and at least 8 HCP you can calculate that North cannot have 0 keycards and must have 2. On the other hand, with 11 - 12 total points including a void, North cannot have more than 9 HCP and with AKQxx and no other honors you have 64 % probability of losing a trick in hearts and 50 % of losing a trick in diamonds, so you should not bid 7. Even worse: You should rather assume that North's void is in clubs, so if North holds A and A and no other honors, you may lose a trick in spades, two+ tricks in hearts and half a trick in diamonds - but it's too late to stay low enough now. If you realize the problem after the 4 bid, you can stop in 5 and, with some luck, make the contract and win a top.

#3 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-14, 16:39

The only correct bid by S was accepting the transfer, which never should have happened anyway.

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-January-14, 17:50

After 4D you can sign off with 4NT. 4H was showing heart support which you don't have so you cd try to find something that lets you off the hook.

#5 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2017-January-14, 19:39

Oh, very good way which I didn't know in the past. Than you.Posted Image

#6 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2017-January-14, 20:24

I think , generally speaking, this hand have showed a shortcoming about TP counting, that's to say some TPs are valid in many situations, some TPs do be invalid in many situations.
For this hand, obviously, Gib maybe overbid due to dead TP counting.
If Gib N holds zero Ace only with 7hcp, its following action should be weakish. After 3, rebid-4 should be a strongish auction, rebid-4 should be rediculous since Gib N has no ability to distinguish with valid and invalid TP. In the end, Gib N forces me to bid up to slam, no way to sign off unless Diana's 4N.
If Gib N really holds two Aces, of course, its following actions should be strongish.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users