• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pull 3N?

#1 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-January-12, 17:28

IMP teams. Your 1D promised an unbalanced hand.

1) Do you agree with the opening?
2) Do you bid 4 (or something other than pass) now?
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#2 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2017-January-12, 17:47

If i didnt play an unbalanced diamond I might want to pull but not now.

Partner knows we open this air, and knows we probably have short clubs. If partner was interested in a major hed x the previous round. My only real concern, is those crappy spades but they havent led one yet.

Show a little faith!
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#3 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-12, 17:56

1) Yes
2) No

What other target are you aiming at when you pull? 3NT should be playable at least.

#4 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-January-12, 21:59

1)Yes
2)No as partner jumped to 3nt knowing my unbalanced hand with probable short suit.

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-12, 23:03

1-Yay
2-Nay
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-12, 23:33

I'll join the unanimous panel 1) Y 2) N

#7 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-13, 06:17

No, I probably wouldn't have opened (but I wouldn't be upset if partner took the opposite view - its close).

Having chosen to bid, I now pass.

#8 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-14, 08:23

Here are the four hands

I decided not to pull for the reasons given above, but 3N had almost no play, whereas 4 will make if hearts are 3-3 and at least one diamond honour is onside. Should E have done something different, or is this just rub of the green? It's hard to believe he can stop short of game once I've opened, and while Axxx isn't an ideal NT stop, trying to reach a suited game with that texture seems like trying to stop on a pinhead.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#9 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-14, 08:34

I don't like the 3nt bid at all and would choose 3 which when followed by 3nt does permit partner to pull.

Four of either major has a play and so does 5 which is my much more likely -1 landing spot.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#10 User is offline   tony stack 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-January-14, 19:46

1. If I were to open the hand, the opening bid given would be the best one possible and most of time I would make this bid
2. I would not pull the contract toward anything else after the bidding given as it appears the points will work in the given direction and I have no extra length in any suit of interest.

Not sure If I held partners hand If 4 to only the ace was quite enough to goto interest in no-trump when the opponent overcalled that suit; this could be a decent challenge to bid out, but with points for just short of game, this might be the hand to sit for 2 clubs after the reopening double by opener.

But once partner chooses to show interest in no-trump rather than try for a Major; to then try for a Major suit game in a 4-3 fit with the Likely Ruffing coming from the hand with 4 trump, is not a good thing in most circumstances.

#11 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-15, 11:41

4c doesn't show a hand that's worried about going off in 3nt. It's strong.

Partner should start with a double.

#12 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-January-15, 12:49

Pass. When partner bids 3N in this auction he isn't asking for my input.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-January-15, 14:11

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-January-15, 12:49, said:

Pass. When partner bids 3N in this auction he isn't asking for my input.

That is incorrect.
Pd is telling you he has 13-15 hcp and stopper in their suit.
It is not possible for him to know whether you opened with 11 or 21 hcp, or with 5431 or with 6520 shape, thus he can not possibly be the deciding person.
I pass with the hand in OP, but this is not because pd told me to pass.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#14 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-15, 16:26

I don't agree with that. 3nt should show a hand which is more suited to nt play than a random 13-15 bal with no major.

Axxx is pretty unsuitable and anti-positional in so far as hands with a stop go.

There's the entire 2+3 level to play with. There's no prize for getting to 3mt in the fewest possible bids when they already know what to lead.

#15 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-January-15, 17:59

View Postwank, on 2017-January-15, 16:26, said:

I don't agree with that. 3nt should show a hand which is more suited to nt play than a random 13-15 bal with no major.

Axxx is pretty unsuitable and anti-positional in so far as hands with a stop go.

There's the entire 2+3 level to play with. There's no prize for getting to 3mt in the fewest possible bids when they already know what to lead.

I have no idea what you disagree with.

Do you disagree that 3 NT is a limit bid? I hope not.
Do you disagree that responder bidding 3 NT does not mean "I do not want your input"? I hope not.

3 NT is a limit bid, with stopper in their suit. I would not do it with Axxx. You would not do it either. But regardless of what you and I would do as oppose to what someone else do, 3 NT is still a descriptive bid and that description has almost everything in it except than "I do not want your input" message to opener. I hope you do not disagree that either.

I voted for not pulling up. It is not because opener does not need my input, it is because I have no idea whether anything else will be a better spot even if I knew pd bid it with Axxx.

#16 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-January-15, 23:26

View PostMrAce, on 2017-January-15, 14:11, said:

That is incorrect.
Pd is telling you he has 13-15 hcp and stopper in their suit.
It is not possible for him to know whether you opened with 11 or 21 hcp, or with 5431 or with 6520 shape, thus he can not possibly be the deciding person.
I pass with the hand in OP, but this is not because pd told me to pass.

I have never used 2nt as anything but artificial in this sequence, hence the jump to 3NT is not needed to show 13=15 as you suggest.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#17 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-January-15, 23:38

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-January-15, 23:26, said:

I have never used 2nt as anything but artificial in this sequence, hence the jump to 3NT is not needed to show 13=15 as you suggest.

Defending what you said is worse than the comment itself.
Whatever you play 3 NT, it is a descriptive bid and NEVER can mean something like "I do not want your input" unless 1 was limited like in precision. Even then there are hands that opener can reopen.
You can play 3 NT whatever you want it to be. What you seem to not understand is that opener can have a 10 hcp hand as in OP, or can have a 21 hcp, or he can have 17 hcp and 7-4 hand. "He did not want my input" is the most unfortunate way to explain regardless of what you pay this 3 NT vs a 11-21 opener.
Descriptive bids describe a hand and gives the captaincy to the non described hand. They never can imply a message as you said. It is like Lesson 1, basic 1, day 1 in bridge, sorry!

#18 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-16, 02:48

View PostMrAce, on 2017-January-15, 23:38, said:

Whatever you play 3 NT, it is a descriptive bid and NEVER can mean something like "I do not want your input" unless 1 was limited like in precision. Even then there are hands that opener can reopen.
You can play 3 NT whatever you want it to be. What you seem to not understand is that opener can have a 10 hcp hand as in OP, or can have a 21 hcp, or he can have 17 hcp and 7-4 hand. "He did not want my input" is the most unfortunate way to explain regardless of what you pay this 3 NT vs a 11-21 opener.
Descriptive bids describe a hand and gives the captaincy to the non described hand. They never can imply a message as you said. It is like Lesson 1, basic 1, day 1 in bridge, sorry!

i was meaning that i think 3NT should be more descriptive than just '13-15 bal with a club stop' which is what i thought you said the first time, i.e. it should show a more no-trumpy hand and most likely a more robust holding than the one actually held. evidently i misunderstood you.

#19 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2017-January-16, 10:35

View PostMrAce, on 2017-January-15, 23:38, said:

If a pair opens 10 point hands and bids 3N in this auction with 13 and Kxx or Axx of clubs, they will get poor results over time. With bidding room, a double jump should mean something more specific than a random NT hand. Personally, I think 3nt in the auction should show strong control of the over-called suit, double stop, and the NT hand because there are other ways to bid the other type hand. In my estimation, it is a mistake to ignore opponents over-calls in our subsequent bidding, especially NT as the opening lead is so critical to success or failure of NT contracts.

If you simply bid 3NT with Axx or Kxx of clubs in this hand you create an impossible problem for opener, which was the OP question.

#20 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-16, 11:18

Just my $0.02. To me 3NT means: "I don't want your input, unless you have a special type of hand (usually slemmish)."

I don't have a special type of hand, so with this hand (and many others) partner shouldn't expect any input from me.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users