Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What does this auction show ?

#1 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-January-08, 18:37

What is the range for 2 opposite the passout seat X and how much does 3 show and is it forcing ?

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-08, 20:13

Of course it is forcing,
In fact 3 bidder has 5+ hearts imo, Probably a hand that was planning to bid hearts after double. With only 4 cards and a good hand he could also cue.

About 2 , whatever your upper range is for 2 or or bids 2 starts from there and up. Of course the meaning of your 3x responses also matter here since it may not be optimal to use them as 6 carder very weak hands in this position as it is commonly used in other positions. So usually it is 12+ but I think you can do it with 4-4 majors and 10+ if you like your spots.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2017-January-08, 21:21

...Adding that 2 could be on as few as 8 working HCP with 2 4-card majors if you play it is forcing to a fit at the 3 level. If advancer has an opening hand, then they are short in and hold , otherwise they would have doubled directly. 3 invites game with a minimum opener. I am not aware of anyone playing 2 as natural in this auction.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2017-January-09, 04:15

With the last partner that I had an explicit agreement about this, it showed a GOSH. We have had some good threads over the years about auctions after a double and cue response and one thing that has become clear is that the follow-ups depend heavily on the meaning of the cue. Specifically, if 2 is not forcing, and some do play it that way, then 3 has to work harder than if 2 is forcing to suit agreement (or game).
(-: Zel :-)

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2017-January-09, 04:55

View PostZelandakh, on 2017-January-09, 04:15, said:

With the last partner that I had an explicit agreement about this, it showed a GOSH. We have had some good threads over the years about auctions after a double and cue response and one thing that has become clear is that the follow-ups depend heavily on the meaning of the cue. Specifically, if 2 is not forcing, and some do play it that way, then 3 has to work harder than if 2 is forcing to suit agreement (or game).

Exactly, 2 is NF for us.

Also nobody has taken on the fact that the passout seat X can be very substandard if short in opener's suit, hence 2 could have VERY different requirements to opposite a second seat X but not sure whether it should.

Don't 2/3/4 show GOSHs of various strengths ?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users