• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bid these Teams

#1 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-January-08, 17:25

Dealer S

This was a fun board from the county teams championship today.

Where do you want to play, do you get there, and how do you play 6N on a diamond or club lead ?

#2 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-08, 18:35

I like 7D, which we may find after 2NT - 3S (MSS). Ruff two hearts, draw trumps and Robert is your parent's sibling.

In 6NT I'd enter dummy with a club (if D lead, win in hand) and play low to S10. Then later cash the minors to decide how to discard your majors at trick 10 based on the opps' discards. There is some fancy Vienna Coup action if you think W has SKQ and HK but that seems rather unlikely.

ahydra

#3 User is offline   spotlight7 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-January-08, 18:36

Cash the minors and lead a spade and hook.

Unless they have a sixth club or a fifth diamond that end plays them.

If the diamonds are 5-0, I hope that the double spade hook gives me a 12th

At teams I would likely end in 6D. 1D-2C-2D(waits)-3D-4H*(Ds agreed, keycard ask)...end in 6D.

#4 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-08, 19:20

View Postspotlight7, on 2017-January-08, 18:36, said:

Cash the minors and lead a spade and hook.

Unless they have a sixth club or a fifth diamond that end plays them.

If the diamonds are 5-0, I hope that the double spade hook gives me a 12th

At teams I would likely end in 6D. 1D-2C-2D(waits)-3D-4H*(Ds agreed, keycard ask)...end in 6D.

south is squeezed on the run of the clubs. on a diamond lead you can try cashing 3 diamonds, leaving the king high in dummy, then 4 clubs throwing 2 hearts and a spade. this avoids squeezing south. if west turns up with 4d or 5 clubs though it doesn't work. you could do something similar with cashing only 2 diamonds (hoping it strips west), seeing them break, then cashing 5 clubs when west has 5 (throwing one of south's diamonds), but you have to commit to this and can't combine your chances with the first part which is more likely (i.e. west having 3 diamonds and fewer than 5 clubs).

#5 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-08, 20:05

Assume they led diamond, we make 1+1+2ruff+4+5.

As long as diamonds are not 5-0 and/or hearts are not 7-1, we should be ok.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#6 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-08, 20:11

I'd probably land in 6D myself (I do want to be in 7 though). In 6NT on a diamond lead, I cash 3 diamonds in hand, 4 clubs pitching a spade and 2 hearts and play a spade to the jack. If West started with less than 4 diamonds and less than 5 clubs, I am now cold.

If diamonds break 4-1 or clubs 5-2 (each with West having the length), then get to dummy in that suit and just play for one of the spades to be onside.
Wayne Somerville

#7 User is offline   Kaitlyn S 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-08, 20:29

View PostCyberyeti, on 2017-January-08, 17:25, said:

Dealer S

Where do you want to play
7D like everybody else

, do you get there

Probably not. I would start 1D P 3H splinter, but I don't think it's enough. North can't find out about South's CQ and South can't find out about North's CJ. I imagine we'll be in 6D which isn't an awful contract.

, and how do you play 6N on a diamond or club lead ?
I play three rounds of diamonds (not the DK), and four rounds of clubs, pitching 2 hearts and a spade. Then I lead a spade to the 10. If West has no more diamonds or clubs, he has to cede the twelfth trick. If that didn't happen, I probably just take the other spade finesse (although if strange distribution suggests doing something else, I'll do it.)

#8 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-08, 21:54

you won't be enjoying 7D on a club lead.

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-January-08, 23:24

View Postwank, on 2017-January-08, 21:54, said:

you won't be enjoying 7D on a club lead.

I will be enjoying 7, I may not make it but it is still a decent grand slam.

lead is about % 25 and when they do that I can still make if I can read who has the K. Let's say I play for the simple finesse that makes failure rate of this grand approximately % 12.5.

%87.5 grands are enjoyable. At least much more enjoyable than the ones I play Posted Image
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#10 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-08, 23:35

Dup

#11 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-09, 03:23

View PostMrAce, on 2017-January-08, 23:24, said:

I will be enjoying 7, I may not make it but it is still a decent grand slam.

lead is about % 25 and when they do that I can still make if I can read who has the K. Let's say I play for the simple finesse that makes failure rate of this grand approximately % 12.5.

%87.5 grands are enjoyable. At least much more enjoyable than the ones I play Posted Image

on a club lead you need the diamond 3-2 split as well. i suppose as to whether it's a good slam depends on one's philosophy. magazine bidding challenges assume the best lead when awarding points for example.

#12 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2017-January-09, 04:39

View Postwank, on 2017-January-09, 03:23, said:

on a club lead you need the diamond 3-2 split as well. i suppose as to whether it's a good slam depends on one's philosophy. magazine bidding challenges assume the best lead when awarding points for example.

I think you need more than that, since for 13 tricks you need 5 clubs, 5 diamonds, two aces and one more trick, so the heart finesse as well if you're drawing 3 trumps.

Against good players, it may depend on your auction, but if S shows a 4441, a club lead against 7 could easily be safe and be worked out to cause the sort of issues it does in this case.

You will discover that W has 4 diamonds when you cash the second one (and 3 clubs if you cash 4 of those).

#13 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-09, 06:20

Dealer S

Where do you want to play, do you get there, and how do you play 6N on a diamond or club lead ?

7D

Why should they find a club lead? Even then I am not dead. The standard lead is a trump against a grand.

In 6NT against a diamond lead cash 3 diamonds and play 4 rounds of clubs discarding two hearts and a spade.
If West has less than 4 diamonds and less than 5 clubs you are home with a spade finesse, which will endplay West.

When West has either 4 or more diamonds or 5 or more clubs take the double spade finesse after 4 rounds of clubs and 3 rounds of diamonds keeping the diamond king as an entry for the second spade finesse. .

Same procedure against a club lead: Run 4 rounds of clubs and take the double spade finesse. When in doubt rely on the second spade finesse after cashing all your minors.

Rainer Herrmann

#14 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2017-January-09, 10:05

For what it's worth our auction was:

1-2
2N (GF not necessarily bal)-3(cheapest sensible rebid)
3-3(4SF)
4N(too good for 3N, now pretty certainly 4441 19-22 although might be 3451)-6
6N

Partner's choice of 2 instead of 3(fit, this hand is very minimum) or 2 (inverted F1) meant I thought he didn't have 4, hence the 6N bid, they led a spade so I played one back and claimed, but thought there were options if they led a minor.

#15 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-09, 14:25

I think our auction would get us to 7, where I agree with wank I don't want to be (I don't see why it helps if I can figure out W has the KH, unless I think it's getting ruffed out). But that would be because S would open an unbalanced diamond and after

1 2
2 3

we'd start cueing, with N and hopefully W rating S as much more likely to be 3451 than 4441.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#16 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-January-09, 15:10

View PostJinksy, on 2017-January-09, 14:25, said:

I think our auction would get us to 7, where I agree with wank I don't want to be (I don't see why it helps if I can figure out W has the KH, unless I think it's getting ruffed out). But that would be because S would open an unbalanced diamond and after

1 2
2 3

we'd start cueing, with N and hopefully W rating S as much more likely to be 3451 than 4441.

Lead is % 25 but in real life the likeliness of lead is pretty much close to zero.Posted Image

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users