• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

how do you rule?

#21 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-January-07, 02:17

View Postmycroft, on 2017-January-06, 16:37, said:

(given that I think that only Ethanoic Acid can influence that call, I'm on board with that)

Perhaps you should refresh your chemistry.

Very few people enjoy consuming large amounts of Ethanoic Acid. This is, next to DHMO, Dihydrogen Monoxide (also known as water), the main ingredient of vinegar. I assume you meant ethanol, which is the characteristic ingredient of many "fun enhancing" beverages that some people enjoy consuming in either moderate, large or enormous quantities, with - as a consequence - moderate, large or enormous effects on their behavior and their judgement.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#22 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-07, 05:13

View PostTrinidad, on 2017-January-07, 02:17, said:

Very few people enjoy consuming large amounts of Ethanoic Acid. This is, next to DHMO, Dihydrogen Monoxide (also known as water), the main ingredient of vinegar. I assume you meant ethanol, which is the characteristic ingredient of many "fun enhancing" beverages that some people enjoy consuming in either moderate, large or enormous quantities, with - as a consequence - moderate, large or enormous effects on their behavior and their judgement.

Rik

I actually think he meant lysergic acid or a derivative thereof, ethanol isn't enough for that bid.

#23 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-07, 06:37

View PostCyberyeti, on 2017-January-07, 05:13, said:

I actually think he meant lysergic acid or a derivative thereof, ethanol isn't enough for that bid.

That could do it. After all, with a high dose of ethanol, you wouldn't be able to get the card out of the bidding box. (Which one of the two?)

;)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#24 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-January-07, 14:56

View Postmycroft, on 2017-January-06, 16:37, said:

If the TD decided to rule that the misinformation did not influence the 3 call (given that I think that only Ethanoic Acid can influence that call, I'm on board with that) then I could certainly see that it *did* influence the misplay, and award some percentage of 500 and some of 200 instead of sticks and wheels.

But he would never have been in the position to make the misplay if he hadn't made the crazy bid in the first place. I think this is the kind of thing the lawmakers intended when they said you lose some of your right to rectification if you take a SEWoG action.

I, personally, happen to dislike A+/A- when a result has been obtained, because of my reading of the Law and the training I have received. There are cases where it is legal, and I am not going to second-guess that this is one of them (I'm a director. I'm not *your* director. I wasn't there, I only know one side of the story, I'm biased, you're biased, yadda yadda).

A+/A- is the ruling of lazy directors, who don't want to try to figure out the likely result absent the infraction, as required by the laws. Our club used to have a director like that, and I frequently had to educate him that it's not legal.

#25 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-09, 11:29

re OP:
Well, given that you were East, we have the complete story *from your side*, and you are biased by definition. Whether or not you think you are looking at it "without bias", if you actually are, you'll be the first bridge player I've met who can (this includes me).

re barmar:
SEWoG says: "[the NOS] does not receive relief in the adjustment for such part of the damage as is self-inflicted." L12C1b. 3x is clearly self-inflicted. However, the misplay is (potentially) a result of having the wrong information about the hand shapes, and that is wholly (assuming a ruling of MI, not misbid) the fault of the OS. If we decide to so rule, then neither side should get 1100. Whether the OS should get the result in 3 (or 4) rather than the result defending 3x is another question.

re blackshoe:
Well, the laws say it's legal (Law 12C1d), so it has to be possible. Having said that, I've never given one in 17 years of (very part time) directing...
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#26 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-09, 19:33

View Postmycroft, on 2017-January-09, 11:29, said:

Well, the laws say it's legal (Law 12C1d), so it has to be possible. Having said that, I've never given one in 17 years of (very part time) directing...

Yes, that's what I meant. I've never given one either.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#27 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-January-10, 09:17

View Postblackshoe, on 2017-January-09, 19:33, said:

Yes, that's what I meant. I've never given one either.

I suppose to poor directors, the possibilities are all "not obvious", so in effect that's their justification.

#28 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2017-January-10, 10:31

I can see situations where it would apply (basically the EBU ones) - if you open 2 "bad preempt in a minor" in a GCC event, or 1 Precision on a bad 9 count, the auctions "given a legal auction" could be "not obvious". I'd certainly investigate to ensure that A- wasn't materially better than a justifiable auction before I did so, however.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#29 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2017-January-11, 04:55

I would give NS some weighted average of -200, -500, -800 and -1100. North's 3 is a SEWoG but he might have been only one down without being confused by the misexplanation.

EW gets some weighted average of -50, -100, -300 and -500. North might not have been tempted to enter the auction if he were told that his small doubleton is not opps' suit, so E gets to accepts the transfer. W must raise the 3 bid to at least 4 given that he has UI which makes a raise less attractive, so EW will get to 4 or 5, possible doubled, making 8 or 9 tricks.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#30 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2017-January-12, 17:35

You are exactly right I should. Look stuff up before posting, mycroft.

I did in fact mean to refer to the most common regulated drug in 90% of the world (let us not dwell on the - thankfully rejected - request for mycroft to spend August. In Riyadh. During Ramadan.) For generic punters, I will in future reference Ethyl Hydrate; for those known to have active chemical knowledge, OSHA has provided me a more obscure one: Methyl Carbinol. Added benefit of the dreaded "methyl" moniker (methyl mercury, magic methyl, methyl alcohol...)

Having said that, liberal application of Ethanoic Acid, diluted as Trinidad suggests above, to chopped, fried and salted root vegetables is a necessary part of modern life (and stops at 49 North Latitude for some reason. Seriously, Americans, that sludge you call ketchup? Please give me your floor cleaner (and yes, seriously, someone finally figured out that I was looking for the stuff they cleaned the floors with. Philistines.))

#31 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2017-January-13, 10:17

Rik

In the past it was more popular.

The Holy Sponge is one of the Instruments of the Passion of Jesus Christ. It was dipped in vinegar (or in some translations sour wine), most likely posca, a favorite beverage of Roman soldiers, and offered to Christ to drink during the Crucifixion, according to Matthew 27:48; Mark 15:36; and John 19:29. (Wikipedia)

Posca: Posca was a popular drink in ancient Rome and Greece, made by mixing sour wine or vinegar with water and flavouring herbs. (Wikipedia).
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#32 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-January-13, 10:28

The 3 bid is so egregious as to break any link between the mistaken alert and the result.
Alderaan delenda est

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users