• You cannot reply to this topic

6NT: What is your plan?

#1 User is offline   maximusg 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-January-04, 12:44

East leads the 5
What is your plan?

I managed to muck this one up and go down 1 sitting N, but I don't see where I went wrong.

#2 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-January-04, 13:03

You will get better answers if you don't give the defenders' hands. Almost nobody will give an incorrect line of play after seeing all 4 hands.

#3 User is offline   maximusg 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-January-04, 13:05

johnu, on 2017-January-04, 13:03, said:

You will get better answers if you don't give the defenders' hands. Almost nobody will give an incorrect line of play after seeing all 4 hands.

I realized this just before you posted and edited my post. Thanks.

#4 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-04, 13:45

I win and play a club to the queen. If the king is onside, I'm now cold. So assume West wins the king and returns a spade. Now I just cash my winners outside of hearts before I decide whether to play for the drop or take a finesse against West for the jack. Just make sure you unblock the T in case you do end up finessing.
Wayne Somerville

#5 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2017-January-04, 14:52

manudude03, on 2017-January-04, 13:45, said:

I win and play a club to the queen. If the king is onside, I'm now cold. So assume West wins the king and returns a spade. Now I just cash my winners outside of hearts before I decide whether to play for the drop or take a finesse against West for the jack. Just make sure you unblock the T in case you do end up finessing.

In addition, you have a lock on a squeeze when LHO is 4-5 in the roundeds.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#6 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2017-January-04, 15:17

This has to be right, you will have a lot of info after 2-3 diamonds, 2 spades, 2 clubs

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-04, 17:30

I would cash 2 rounds of and 1 round of from N, see how many diamonds E has and assuming that he has stiff I play a towards Q but would not play the Q if E plays small. In case E has 3 club where his biggest spot is higher than 7.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#8 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-January-04, 18:54

Tricky if when you play a club towards the Q, East ducks with the K.
You obviously also duck and will expect the show-up squeeze to be 100%.
Not this time but there are other chances like J doubleton heart or the hearts are 5-1.

#9 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2017-January-04, 20:49

One more for this line.

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-January-05, 01:01

rmnka447, on 2017-January-04, 20:49, said:

One more for this line.

Why is it so hard for people who agrees with Manu's line to understand that playing low club to the Q wins only when E has Kxx (x)+ he ducks

vs the line that play towards to Q but plays low if E plays low, which wins when E has

8xx
9xx
Txx
Jxx

If E has 4 clubs, things change of course, but that is why I cashed 2 rounds of and 1 round of before I played clubs. In this auction if E follows 3 rounds of red suits, his chances to hold 4 card is slim to none. If E has 2 or less clubs, what we play does not matter.

But even if we calculate all the odds of winning when E has 3 or more clubs, ignoring the unlikeliness of E holding 4-5-6 card clubs, still playing to Q has about %32 and playing towards Q and ducking has about %36 success rate.

ALSO add to that, when E has no K he will ALWAYS play low. When he has the K he may or he may not. That alone is a huge factor because it increases my overall success rate. E playing low has no effect on the line that plays small to the Q. Because it wins only when E has the K and played small and we already calculated them all. Basically, when W has the K, there is no opponent behavior that can possibly increase the already calculated success rate of playing to the Q.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#11 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2017-January-05, 03:40

MrAce, on 2017-January-05, 01:01, said:

Why is it so hard for people who agrees with Manu's line to understand that playing low club to the Q wins only when E has Kxx (x)+ he ducks

Why is it so hard for you to see that most of the time your line doesn't gain anything at all. You would have to believe your opp is finding this 3 overcall off J10xxxx, Jxx, x, 8xx (which many people won't) for it to gain, level of competition may matter here.

I think overcaller below top level will have 7 spades more often than 6 with a poor suit, and if he has any 3 clubs and a diamond can only have 2 hearts so the finesse will work.

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-January-05, 14:35

Cyberyeti, on 2017-January-05, 03:40, said:

Why is it so hard for you to see that most of the time your line doesn't gain anything at all. You would have to believe your opp is finding this 3 overcall off J10xxxx, Jxx, x, 8xx (which many people won't) for it to gain, level of competition may matter here.

I think overcaller below top level will have 7 spades more often than 6 with a poor suit, and if he has any 3 clubs and a diamond can only have 2 hearts so the finesse will work.

LOL, I will not bother to explain again. Think again and you will find why what you said is nonsense.

Hint for you, i NEVER said that when E has the K and if he ducks, I will be able to read the position later and make the contract. Which is not true but I gave them all to the benefit of other line and totally excluded my line from reading anything. I put all those hands into "losing" part of my line in the calculations.Posted Image

But again, as usual, you just want to turn a card play calculation to bidding debate by using words like "I think he should have this or he should not have that forthis bidding" bs. I am not going to debate what people bid 3 with white vs red when they open strong 2.

#13 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2017-January-05, 15:57

MrAce, on 2017-January-05, 14:35, said:

LOL, I will not bother to explain again. Think again and you will find why what you said is nonsense.

Hint for you, i NEVER said that when E has the K and if he ducks, I will be able to read the position later and make the contract. Which is not true but I gave them all to the benefit of other line and totally excluded my line from reading anything. I put all those hands into "losing" part of my line in the calculations.Posted Image

But again, as usual, you just want to turn a card play calculation to bidding debate by using words like "I think he should have this or he should not have that forthis bidding" bs. I am not going to debate what people bid 3 with white vs red when they open strong 2.

I'm just looking at practicalities, and with 2 available, 3 won't even occur to most people with 6 to the J.

If you're suggesting that you should ignore the bidding in analysing the play ...

#14 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-January-05, 17:56

Cyberyeti, on 2017-January-05, 15:57, said:

I'm just looking at practicalities, and with 2 available, 3 won't even occur to most people with 6 to the J.

If you're suggesting that you should ignore the bidding in analysing the play ...

I am not saying to ignore the bidding.
All I am saying is math is more reliable source than your or my ideas/expectations about what 3 should be white vs red after 2 opening. Posted Image

#15 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-05, 19:02

Cyberyeti, on 2017-January-05, 15:57, said:

Am I missing something - if that's the case, then it makes no difference whether you play the queen or not. So surely the case of having 6 spades is the only one that should be used to decide between the two options.

#16 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-06, 00:32

smerriman, on 2017-January-05, 19:02, said:

Am I missing something - if that's the case, then it makes no difference whether you play the queen or not. So surely the case of having 6 spades is the only one that should be used to decide between the two options.

Why is that? In the end position, you will have

A9

x or Q

You will know the diamond split, and have played 2 round of clubs and hearts. When you lead the 2, and the jack hasn't showed up yet, you need to guess/know if East's last card is J, or a winning club.

East could have started with 7=1=2=3, 7=1=3=2, etc. 7 card suits where it makes a difference how you played clubs, in addition to all the possible 6 card suit distributions.

#17 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2017-January-06, 01:47

johnu, on 2017-January-06, 00:32, said:

Why is that? In the end position, you will have

A9

x or Q

You will know the diamond split, and have played 2 round of clubs and hearts. When you lead the 2, and the jack hasn't showed up yet, you need to guess/know if East's last card is J, or a winning club.

East could have started with 7=1=2=3, 7=1=3=2, etc. 7 card suits where it makes a difference how you played clubs, in addition to all the possible 6 card suit distributions.

You are missing the 7213 and 7312 and 7303 and 7204 and 7402 shapes. (Though I am giving them the benefit of doubt that they can read it when E has 74 hands)
These guys played the club suit without touching diamonds and committed to a line before having any clue in diamond suit.Posted Image
When E has short diamonds, they will NEVER know in last 4 cards whether E held Jxx+ a or xx+a+a
This gets uglier when E has 6 card spades. But as I showed, their line is inferior even when I give East ALWAYS a 7 card with shortness.

johnu, on 2017-January-04, 13:03, said:

I think OP accidentally gave all the 4 hands at the beginning and they saw diamonds split which biased their line. I did not see the hand and I still don;t know the original hand. This is why I specifically mentioned that I test the suit and one round of hearts before I play clubs. I would have no problem with their line, had they cashed 2 rounds of diamonds and saw E with 2 or 3 diamonds. But once E shows out on 2nd diamond or first diamond, things change a lot IMHO.

#18 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-06, 02:01

johnu, on 2017-January-06, 00:32, said:

Why is that?

What I meant (I think) is that by playing the Q you're hoping East has Kxx - but if that's the case, and you're assuming East has 7 spades (and made sure no diamond void), then the finesse was guaranteed to work anyway, so it made no difference. You might as well have just played low and taken the finesse to begin with.

So playing the queen will *never* gain under the 7 card assumption.

#19 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-January-06, 10:54

I will win and lead a low club, intending to duck a club, rectifying the count, then win any return, cash the club Ace (Vienna Coup), and play for an automatic heart/club squeeze.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#20 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-06, 12:00

MrAce, on 2017-January-06, 01:47, said:

You are missing the 7213 and 7312 and 7303 and 7204 and 7402 shapes. (Though I am giving them the benefit of doubt that they can read it when E has 74 hands)

Those were covered by the "etc" :) but I should have included the short diamond hands in the non-etc list. I was just disagreeing that only 6 card spade suits were relevant.

In the OP's original post, East had Jx of hearts so I'm not sure why 4 heart tricks weren't automatic.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users