BBO Discussion Forums: Handling aggressive preempts - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Handling aggressive preempts

#1 User is offline   phoenix214 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge; Chess; Boardgames; Physics; Math; Problem solving; and anything that makes my brain thinking.

Posted 2017-January-04, 11:33

The title gives it away a bit, but what do you do in the following situation? 3C range is quite wide. Anyhow what is the best plan to progress on the hand?

#2 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-January-04, 12:14

double and convert 3S to 3nt and 3d to 3h.

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-04, 17:37

You can also start 3. This actually is a pretty ugly 19 after 3 bid.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2017-January-04, 17:44

View PostMrAce, on 2017-January-04, 17:37, said:

You can also start 3. This actually is a pretty ugly 19 after 3 bid.

Yeah but the heart suit blows and its a good shape for x.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#5 User is offline   gszeszycki 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-04, 18:55

x and intending to do nothing over any simple rebid by p (except raise 3h to 4h). Why this point of view with so much? It is because this hand is actually slightly WORSE than p expects you to have on average. Does that sound bonkers? Think about it lho passed p passed and rho preempted. Lho and p on average with have around 6.5 and the preempter probably closer to 8.5. So our average hand is around 18.5. P will know this and bid accordingly.

This is one of the main reason preempts work so well they force opps to rely more on averages than specifics.

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-04, 20:02

View PostPhil, on 2017-January-04, 17:44, said:

Yeah but the heart suit blows and its a good shape for x.

If suit is not good enough to overcall, it is not good enough to start DBL and bid 3 over 3, no?
If I start DBL, I may seriously think and probably pass over 3 or [3 response. Even over 3 response I may consider it. The hand is full of holes.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-04, 20:19

View Postgszeszycki, on 2017-January-04, 18:55, said:

x and intending to do nothing over any simple rebid by p (except raise 3h to 4h). Why this point of view with so much? It is because this hand is actually slightly WORSE than p expects you to have on average. Does that sound bonkers? Think about it lho passed p passed and rho preempted. Lho and p on average with have around 6.5 and the preempter probably closer to 8.5. So our average hand is around 18.5. P will know this and bid accordingly.

This doesn't sound right at all. I ran some sims, after p p 3c preempt, our average hcp is around 15.5 hcp. Everyone else averages around 8.
It's only after looking at our 19 count that we know LHO and partner are weaker than average.

So partner with a 6/7 count has no idea whether we hold the extra values or if the opps are stronger than their averages, if opening bidder passed with say a flat 10/11 count. If he bids like we have 19 on average when in reality we only have 15.5, he's going to go down a lot.

#8 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2017-January-04, 20:27

View PostMrAce, on 2017-January-04, 20:02, said:

If suit is not good enough to overcall, it is not good enough to start DBL and bid 3 over 3, no?
If I start DBL, I may seriously think and probably pass over 3 or [3 response. Even over 3 response I may consider it. The hand is full of holes.

Depends on your philosophy. If x then a new suit just says "I have a good hand with TO x shape and this is my long suit" then x is a good description.

If x and a new suit means "my hand was too good to overcall 3H" then perhaps not.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#9 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2017-January-04, 20:41

I'm bidding 3 and sitting for the fix, if it occurs. OTOH, partner is allowed to have a fit and we get to the right strain. If I double and get a minimum pointy suit response, I have no idea what to do other than pass. Then, we might end up in a 7 card fit rather than a perfectly good 8+ card fit. If partner instead finds a 3 call over my 3 overcall, then I can at least consider bidding 4 .

#10 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2017-January-04, 21:50

View Postrmnka447, on 2017-January-04, 20:41, said:

I'm bidding 3 and sitting for the fix, if it occurs. OTOH, partner is allowed to have a fit and we get to the right strain. If I double and get a minimum pointy suit response, I have no idea what to do other than pass. Then, we might end up in a 7 card fit rather than a perfectly good 8+ card fit. If partner instead finds a 3 call over my 3 overcall, then I can at least consider bidding 4 .

We agree except that I'd raise 3 to 4 on this sequence even if my Q were the 2. They give a bonus for making game and if PD can volunteer 3 after my 3 I'll take my shot and yes I see that he passed initially.

#11 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2017-January-05, 03:55

Some thing strange.

#12 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-05, 04:04

With 17HCP,only five losers and a very decent heart suit ,I shall bid 3H and hopefully raise partners 3S to 4S.

#13 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-05, 05:20

If I double, 3 over partner's 3 is ok, it shows a somewhat flexible hand with five-plus hearts so partner probably will rescue with a small singleton hearts. Hence it is safer than a direct 3 which partner will pass with any weak hand, probably even if doubled unless he has something extreme.

I think my plan is double and then pass 3 but bid 3 over 3. Second choice is double followed by pass of everything.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#14 User is offline   geoffff 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-January-05, 06:28

Don't like 3H. Mainly due to the weakness below honours. If LHO has 4 hearts to 10 and 9, you could be completely undone. Hand is strong enough in points but shape is very poor.

#15 User is offline   Caitlynne 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-05, 09:35

I am not sure why this hand is a problem for you. There are two obvious options - Double and 3H - from which to choose. Of these, Double is far superior inasmuch as the heart suit is modest and not worthy of emphasis, Double is more flexible, and you do have 3+ card support featuring at least two honors in all three unbid suits.

I will admit, this is not the best 19 HCP hand, but - and this is as important as it is obvious - it is a 19 HCP hand and you could easily have an Ace less for the Double.

So, if partner responds 3D, I think you can bid a slightly aggressive 3H (non-forcing but a very good hand). If partner responds 3H, you have enough to raise.

The more difficult questions are what to do if partner responds with either 3S or any game bid. If partner bids 3NT, your Qx of clubs looks better and you probably have enough to raise to 4NT opposite an unpassed partner; but since partner is a passed hand, you should certain call Pass as partner can't have the 13 HCP that would make slam a reasonable bet. But with 3S or any other game bid, I would go conservative and Pass, giving a nod to my bad/wasted honor values in my two loser club suit.

It is the 3S bid that is most worrisome because partner could have either xxxx, xxx, xxx, xxx or QTxxx, Qx, Kxxx, xx. Still, the latter hand is pretty specific and perfect, so a conservative Pass seems best to me.

#16 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-05, 09:42

" If LHO has four hearts to 10,9 you will be undone" is taking a totally negative attitude .Does it mean this hand is to be passed? I know a pessimist beginner who holding AKQJ109-AKQ-AKQJ-Void in 1st position started with a PASS.And he was so right ! Had he opened 7 Spades as the optimists bid at all the other tables he would have scored only the six trump tricks and gone seven down.Such ifs and buts means taking an overpessimistic attitude and must be discouraged.

#17 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-06, 13:25

View Postphoenix214, on 2017-January-04, 11:33, said:

The title gives it away a bit, but what do you do in the following situation? 3C range is quite wide. Anyhow what is the best plan to progress on the hand?

I can't fault X or 3h; either one is reasonable.

This hand isn't worth 19. The Qc is probably wasted, and indeed, it's worse than having xx, because the Qc are two HCP partner does not have. (If you had xx, partner would rate to have 1 more HCP than he does, and it might be useful). Also, any diamond and heart honors the opponents hold are likely to be badly positioned.

X is more flexible. Partner could have short hearts, and your fit could be in spades or diamonds. Partner also could be in position to bid 3NT or pass for penalties (unlikely with your Qx, but possible, especially if declarer opened a ratty six-bagger). And sometimes, partner will surprise you by bidding 3H (which you can raise to 4).

You'll have a decision to make if partner bids 3D or 3S over the X; I tend to favor a conservative pass with this hand, but I can see raising 3S to 4S (3D you should pass; 3H over 3D seriously overstates the strength of this hand).

3H is more boom or bust. If you have a game, you're more likely to reach it with the overcall; partner will strain to raise if he can, and if he has short hearts and a good hand, perhaps he can bid 3S or 3NT. But it's also the bid more likely to end up in disaster if partner has short hearts and nothing much to speak of.

I think I would X, but it's close.

Cheers,
Mike

#18 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-January-07, 12:56

Speaking of weak preempts, I've always thought it only fair that your convention card can change depending on the style of each new opponent in pairs - Fishbein against aggressive preempts may work better than takeout methods.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#19 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2017-January-07, 22:48

I think X is right. If partner bids 3H I raise, else I pass. I think pass over 3S is 100% correct - partner should bid 4S on Q10xxx Qx Kxxx - all his points are working and my double is at the 3 level, not the 1 level.

The reason I leave 3D or 3S is this: I do not want to get to a thin game here. Our finesses are not likely to work and suits are not likely to break. In fact, there's a case for even leaving 3H.

#20 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-January-08, 15:09

View Postmr1303, on 2017-January-07, 22:48, said:

I think X is right. If partner bids 3H I raise, else I pass. I think pass over 3S is 100% correct - partner should bid 4S on Q10xxx Qx Kxxx - all his points are working and my double is at the 3 level, not the 1 level.

The reason I leave 3D or 3S is this: I do not want to get to a thin game here. Our finesses are not likely to work and suits are not likely to break. In fact, there's a case for even leaving 3H.

Agree. What you really have is a balanced 17-count, a good hand but nothing to write home about.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users