• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Handling aggressive preempts

#21 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-January-08, 15:33

i count 19 myself. it's rather early to be entirely discounting the queen of clubs. he's opened 3rd in hand. he could have anything.

as for passing 3S, methinks you're barking up the wrong tree. it's not like we're choosing whether to invite or just bid game and we've got a nice safe 140 available. here 3NT might be 3 off, but 3S will often be just as bad.

#22 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-January-08, 17:19

View Postwank, on 2017-January-08, 15:33, said:

i count 19 myself. it's rather early to be entirely discounting the queen of clubs. he's opened 3rd in hand. he could have anything.

as for passing 3S, methinks you're barking up the wrong tree. it's not like we're choosing whether to invite or just bid game and we've got a nice safe 140 available. here 3NT might be 3 off, but 3S will often be just as bad.

I don't totally discount the club Q but until proven otherwise, it isn't a plus. An interesting note to this hand is that it could well be one where the Ax of clubs needs to declare 3NT but how do you get there?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#23 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-08, 19:08

View PostWinstonm, on 2017-January-08, 17:19, said:

I don't totally discount the club Q but until proven otherwise, it isn't a plus. An interesting note to this hand is that it could well be one where the Ax of clubs needs to declare 3NT but how do you get there?

x-3d-3h-3nt ideally, although it's quite hard to come up with a hand where partner isn't raising to 4H - 3262 shape not suitable for 2D (or not available).

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users