BBO Discussion Forums: Add a temporarily Disconnected status - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Add a temporarily Disconnected status

#1 User is offline   hawkwind 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2017-January-02, 18:47

Tonight I was replaced during a tournament after suffering a temporary disconnection.

At the time of losing my internet connection I was bidding hand 13 of 15, the tournament (#9630) had been running just under an hour (I estimate at 55-57 minutes).

Two minutes later I was reconnected to BBO but had been ejected from the tournament.

The tournament eventually completed 44 minutes later.

In other words we were timewise well in advance of most of the field.

So why not limit the capability of TDs to replace members when disconnected?

A suggestion.

Introduce an 'orange: cannot be substituted' status for disconnections covering a period before passing them to 'red: can be substituted'.

The length of 'orange' time could be set to 2 minutes initially at start of tournament.
Then have 'orange' time recalculated and adjusted upwards or downwards dependent on whether the disconnected player is ahead or behind tournament schedule.

For example to take my case today: Hands completed 12; Time elapsed 57 minutes; Time scheduled for Tournament 7 minutes per hand; Player ahead of schedule by 27 minutes.
New 'orange' time 4 minutes 42 seconds being 2 minutes + 10% of 27 minutes (2 minutes 42 seconds).

Maybe overkill? But it sure is frustrating to not be allowed to complete a tournament.

#2 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-January-02, 20:39

Good TDs already do this. They look at how much time is left for the round, and if plenty they ask everyone to wait for 2-3 minutes, to allow disconnected user to come back.

However, in very large tourneys, or simply tourneys with bad/lazy/inexperienced TDs, the TD doesn't bother to come to the table and see what's happening. As soon as they see someone go red they sub (including dummy between rounds or dummy at the last board).

Not saying that your suggestion is without merit, but in a tourney with a good TD what happened to you wouldn't have occurred in the first place.

Edit: Just occurred to me that overall time of tourney isn't very relevant. It's the table clock that matters, since most tourneys are sectioned, and one section can be well ahead of the others. In that case, even if the other sections finish 20 minutes later, the TD has to make decisions based on what happens in your section (if you have 2-3 minutes on the clock for the round, he will sub, regardless of what some of the other tables are doing)

This post has been edited by diana_eva: 2017-January-02, 20:43

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users