• You cannot reply to this topic

ATB missing slam

#41 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2017-January-04, 04:21

View Postmsjennifer, on 2017-January-04, 01:15, said:

A weak 2D opening is also useless against any but novices and beginners.It was and still now my "personal" opinion to use it as is used in the Blue Team Club System for any 4441 hands with 17 to 23 HCP.

I'm not convinced that, in 1st seat,

P = either standard or suitable for a Weak 2 opening that doesn't overlap with 1/3
2 = 17-23 hcp, (4441) [frequency in 1st seat: about 1 in 500 deals]
7N = idle

beats

P = standard
2 = Weak 2 that doesn't overlap with 1/3
7N = 17-23 hcp, (4441) [frequency in 1st seat: about 1 in 500 deals],

although it almost certainly does on this particular hand.

#42 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-04, 11:00

If you truly believe that a weak 2 call doesn't work well - I would argue that, especially, as said above, if it's "wide-ranging"; after all, a lead-director, a save target (or at least a preemptive raise target), and taking away the entire 1-level (and with the common "1NT opener" hand, "forcing" them to use their 2NT system instead) is better than "nothing" - and you don't want to Multi (which, yes, is only there so your 2M bids can be +EV), then I would suggest a better bid than the Full Roman is the F-word.

Proponents of Flannery say that they "never" get a bad result when they open it. People on the other side of the fence tend to disagree, but it *is* a very effective call. I just think that the alternatives are better, and the Flannery hands can be quite reasonably handled in a standard manner (for the few times they come up). You clearly don't; so why not play a very effective, relatively common, meaning?
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#43 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2017-January-04, 13:11

View Postmycroft, on 2017-January-04, 11:00, said:

If you truly believe that a weak 2 call doesn't work well - I would argue that, especially, as said above, if it's "wide-ranging"; after all, a lead-director, a save target (or at least a preemptive raise target), and taking away the entire 1-level (and with the common "1NT opener" hand, "forcing" them to use their 2NT system instead) is better than "nothing" - and you don't want to Multi (which, yes, is only there so your 2M bids can be +EV), then I would suggest a better bid than the Full Roman is the F-word.

Proponents of Flannery say that they "never" get a bad result when they open it. People on the other side of the fence tend to disagree, but it *is* a very effective call. I just think that the alternatives are better, and the Flannery hands can be quite reasonably handled in a standard manner (for the few times they come up). You clearly don't; so why not play a very effective, relatively common, meaning?

I do like to play Flannery much when playing with a partner who plays a standard system and have found it very useful when the suit quality of the major suits is well defined and the range kept as 12/17,as with 18 plus one can always make a reverse bid.

#44 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-04, 16:54

View Postwank, on 2017-January-04, 02:08, said:

i predict a sharp mrace response.

Posted Image

Na, I am not good at arguing about conventions. I am sure she knows more conventions than I will ever do.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#45 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2017-January-04, 17:47

View PostMrAce, on 2017-January-04, 16:54, said:

Posted Image

Na, I am not good at arguing about conventions. I am sure she knows more conventions than I will ever do.

Dude, she knows more than Marshall.

So that includes everyone but Kokish and Rodwell. And Ken Rexford.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#46 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2017-January-06, 14:47

Pretty good example for why for the last 7 or 8 years all my splinters are void. Splinter that can be void or singleton are just too costly.

If 4C is exactly singleton 4D is obvious. If 4C is void 4H is obvious.
If 4C is either, 4D is clearly the % bid in a weak NT setup but close in a strong NT setup. Expect a fair amount of 5 level going down when opener got a void and move over 4D.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#47 User is offline   dboxley 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-January-10, 02:34

I haven't looked at the other replies so this might be redundant but give 100% to W, this hand is an ace too good for that splinter.

A reasonable auction is:

1 1
2 anything
jump to 4 (a hand too good for a splinter)

#48 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-26, 17:09

I think east can bid 4d. The trumps are not brilliant but you might still be able to play in diamonds and sometimes (quite a lot!) partner just has the right hand for you Axx AKxx AQxxx x Is typical, if good, and there are plenty of hands like Axx AJTx AQJxx x where intermediate hearts give you a good slam opposite moderate values.

I do not think its crystal clear to bid 4d because it is quite hard to construct typical hands where slam is rock solid, and that is usually a pretty good bar for whether you should move, since there are risks. Even partner having really good hands like KQx KQJx AQJxxx - can easily end up too high, and to be rock solid partner probably needs something like Ax AKJT AQJxxx x, which is probably not sitting 4h.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users