Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Only slightly off the deep end

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-December-31, 07:41

Probably not sufficiently bizarre to warrant a thread, but I have a few spare minutes

MP, best hand South

Some may argue that the entire fiasco, if fiasco it is, stems from human South's systemic deviation by opening 3C, 2 HCP heavy (influenced by the best hand South feature). I disagree that this should have a significant impact.

The requirement for "2+ D" in the final double seems rather bizarre, but not uncommon with GIB penalty doubles, even at lower levels.

I don't know what 5D by East would have meant instead of 5C, but presumably 5C invites West to bid 6D if he has 19 total points (given that West's 5D sign-out limits his hand to the same definition as the 4D overcall bar the 19th total point). I would be interested to know how West's hand for 4D differs from hands that would make a direct intervention over 3C.

But possibly the strangest action of all is the 4D bid. Given that he only has 5 card suit when the bid promises 6, why would he not instead prefer to protect with Double, what with also having 4-4 in the majors.

Whether we would find the profitable 5CX sacrifice over 4M at these colours is doubtful.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users