BBO Discussion Forums: Anti-Ads? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anti-Ads? Ads that make you less interested in the product!

#1 User is online   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-December-31, 01:43

Recently I've been seeing some advertisements that make me actively uninterested in the product they're advertising! I'm not sure if this is some subtle new advertising technique, or just bad, but here are some examples:

1. There's an ad at the movies for a phone game called "Best Fiends" where people are violently tapping on their phones in very inappropriate settings. At first I thought this was the typical movies "turn off your phone" message, but apparently they are actually trying to sell a game! Of course, seeing this makes me less interested and not more.

2. There's a series of TV ads for something called "Facebook Live" which makes it easy to share videos on Facebook. I don't really have any interest in Facebook in any case, but watching this commercial reminds me of why I don't like it (people "oversharing" totally uninteresting things about themselves, constantly and obsessively).

Anyway, I wanted to post this to see if anyone else has similar ad experiences!
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-31, 06:57

View Postawm, on 2016-December-31, 01:43, said:

Recently I've been seeing some advertisements that make me actively uninterested in the product they're advertising! I'm not sure if this is some subtle new advertising technique, or just bad, but here are some examples:

1. There's an ad at the movies for a phone game called "Best Fiends" where people are violently tapping on their phones in very inappropriate settings. At first I thought this was the typical movies "turn off your phone" message, but apparently they are actually trying to sell a game! Of course, seeing this makes me less interested and not more.

2. There's a series of TV ads for something called "Facebook Live" which makes it easy to share videos on Facebook. I don't really have any interest in Facebook in any case, but watching this commercial reminds me of why I don't like it (people "oversharing" totally uninteresting things about themselves, constantly and obsessively).

Anyway, I wanted to post this to see if anyone else has similar ad experiences!

They have inane songs about this thing called "Hive" which allows you to control your home thermostat remotely with your phone. The songs feature things like getting a piggyback ride from an armadillo on a skateboard, which seems to highlight just how useless the product is.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-31, 07:09

View PostVampyr, on 2016-December-31, 06:57, said:

They have inane songs about this thing called "Hive" which allows you to control your home thermostat remotely with your phone. The songs feature things like getting a piggyback ride from an armadillo on a skateboard, which seems to highlight just how useless the product is.

Personally I love Hive. Cannot comment about the adverts, mind - never seen them.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-31, 08:20

Any ad for a specific drug on tv or in print.

I glanced through a magazine over the holidays and one had a large picture and over 2 pages there was 25% on benefits and 75% on side effects. Flipped the page and there was a further full page on how you might grow a third eye or a second head.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2016-December-31, 11:32

View Postggwhiz, on 2016-December-31, 08:20, said:

Any ad for a specific drug on tv or in print.

If you don't actually have the condition the drug is intended for, naturally you won't find it interesting, and will fixate on the negatives.

Most of the side effects of these drugs are very low probability, they're just forced to disclose them. If the likely benefits didn't outweigh the slight risk of side effects, they wouldn't be approved (especially in the US, where the FDA is incredibly conservative).

#6 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2016-December-31, 11:38

They say there's no such thing as bad publicity.

Just getting the name out there is likely to help. If someone eventually is looking for a product of that type, they'll recognize a name that they've heard in an ad, but might not remember that the ad was annoying.

Of course, if you have no interest in that type of product in general, it doesn't really matter -- ads aren't likely to change your general attitude. I also find just about everything about Facebook useless, so I'm not inclined to care about Facebook Live (I haven't even seen the ads).

I also don't play mobile games (except BBO), but I imagine that for ardent gamers, the ad you dislike will be very attractive. The purpose of that ad isn't to turn non-gamers into gamers, it's to get gamers to buy that particular game instead of some other.

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2016-December-31, 12:16

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-December-31, 07:09, said:

Personally I love Hive. Cannot comment about the adverts, mind - never seen them.

Why do you love it? Do you find it very useful to turn your heating up and down when you are not there?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-December-31, 12:49

View PostVampyr, on 2016-December-31, 12:16, said:

Why do you love it? Do you find it very useful to turn your heating up and down when you are not there?

Yes - a couple of days ago I was away at the office, and wife was getting drenched during postal delivery - wanted the heating boosted in time for her to get home. She texted me from her work and I did it remotely from mine

And with web app (or PC for that matter, you get vastly more options for timings than using a hardware thermostat. If you spend a bit more you can control room by room but I have not gone that far.

And you get reports of whether your system is underperforming or inefficient. And you can separately control the hot water. And you can separately control the lighting if you are away and want to deter burglars (OK there are random hardware methods for that).
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#9 User is online   awm 

Posted 2016-December-31, 17:44

View Postbarmar, on 2016-December-31, 11:38, said:

I also don't play mobile games (except BBO), but I imagine that for ardent gamers, the ad you dislike will be very attractive. The purpose of that ad isn't to turn non-gamers into gamers, it's to get gamers to buy that particular game instead of some other.

My wife was with me at the movies when we saw this ad. She spends quite a bit of time playing mobile phone games, but her reaction to the ad was pretty much the same as mine. Of course, I guess we could slice and dice the market more (i.e. she doesn't like games where you pound the phone screen so hard that you drop it in the bathtub and possibly damage it, or she doesn't go out to dinner with friends and sit there playing games the whole time... and therefore is not the target market). But it still seems kind of weird.

Another ad I remember from years ago was the "Head-On: Apply Directly to the Head" ad for headache medicine, where it seemed like the ad was trying to be so loud and annoying that it gave the people watching headaches. Certainly it succeeded in being memorable (but not in making me want to buy the product, and I do buy headache remedies with some regularity).
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#10 User is offline   cherdano 

Posted 2017-January-01, 04:55

I bet you wouldn't have bought "Best Fiends" without the ad, either!

I bet you wouldn't have installed "Facebook live" without the ad, either!
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#11 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2017-January-01, 08:22

View Post1eyedjack, on 2016-December-31, 12:49, said:

Yes - a couple of days ago I was away at the office, and wife was getting drenched during postal delivery - wanted the heating boosted in time for her to get home. She texted me from her work and I did it remotely from mine

And with web app (or PC for that matter, you get vastly more options for timings than using a hardware thermostat. If you spend a bit more you can control room by room but I have not gone that far.

And you get reports of whether your system is underperforming or inefficient. And you can separately control the hot water. And you can separately control the lighting if you are away and want to deter burglars (OK there are random hardware methods for that).

OK. I guess we never let our house get very cold because we have cats.

Controlling room by room seems very tricky; you would have to get some sort of device attached to your radiators, right?

#12 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-01, 10:24

(people "oversharing" totally uninteresting things about themselves, constantly and obsessively).

I read about the low tech version where the guy just shouts out random things in public like what he had for breakfast and holds a picture of it over his head.

He has 3 followers, 2 security guards and a cop.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#13 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2017-January-01, 14:17

View Postcherdano, on 2017-January-01, 04:55, said:

I bet you wouldn't have bought "Best Fiends" without the ad, either!

I bet you wouldn't have installed "Facebook live" without the ad, either!

You have a point here. Maybe we could go back in time. I remember when we bought ground coffee at the store, maybe Folgers, maybe Maxwell House, maybe something else. The ad featuring a man congratulating his wife on being a "good little Maxwell House wife" precluded the possibility of us ever having that brand in our house again.

Largely I don't see ads on tv. Many things we watch don't have ads, and we record things that do so we can skip through them. The Redskins are playing today, hoping to make it into the playoffs, so perhaps I will watch that. But really, I don't give a hoot.
Ken

#14 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2017-January-02, 05:47

Perhaps the Democrats could learn a few things from this thread combined with the rise of fake news, Create some charitable trusts under names like "Conservative Alliance" and the like and use them to create apparently positive Republican ads that show the Rep candidate off badly. It might take such tricks to find a way of communicating with the right-wing base...

In the wider market, it is difficult to see how this technique could gain traction other than, perhaps, brand image for a select few companies. That said, spreading false information as a marketing strategy is well known. The head of the board of my company was forced to step down from a previous job after it emerged that he had spent over a million euros on false reviews designed to boost opinions towards the company, supposedly without anyone else knowing about it *cough*. As was also seen with the fallout from the Ivanka flight incident, fake reviews are a cheap and effective way of putting a message across and causing a degree of difficulty to opponents. I doubt negative positive-ads will prove to be anywhere near so effective any time soon.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#15 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-02, 16:05

Usually when you don't understand what an ad is about you are simply not part of the target audience. Remember luxury cars, yatch, etc do not advertise on TV (people who can buy them are doing better things than watching regular TV)

I am out of practically every target audience as I hate being told to do something (buy, buy, buy), and I also hate companies wasting money on advertising instead of making the product better.

There is an ad that makes me switch channel everytime, it is the security alarm company whose every advertisement is about someone whose house has been broken into. Most advertisements try to sell hapinness or sex, this one is selling fear which I can't stand for.

#16 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-January-02, 16:50

View PostFluffy, on 2017-January-02, 16:05, said:

Usually when you don't understand what an ad is about you are simply not part of the target audience. Remember luxury cars, yatch, etc do not advertise on TV (people who can buy them are doing better things than watching regular TV)

I suspect you don't watch much golf. Its main audience is rich old white men, and the main advertisements are for luxury cars, financial services, and ED drugs.

#17 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2017-January-02, 17:45

Golf is only on paid TV in my country.

#18 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-03, 04:19

Recently I've been seeing some advertisements that make me actively uninterested in the product they're advertising .... I wanted to post this to see if anyone else has similar ad experiences!

I'm not sure whether you would describe election leaflets as advertising, but I had much this experience when we recently had a parliamentary by-election in our constituency - every time I looked at one of the leaflets that came through the door I wanted to vote for someone else.....

#19 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2017-January-03, 08:11

View PostVampyr, on 2017-January-01, 08:22, said:

OK. I guess we never let our house get very cold because we have cats.

Controlling room by room seems very tricky; you would have to get some sort of device attached to your radiators, right?

What radiators? :-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#20 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2017-January-03, 09:58

View PostVampyr, on 2017-January-01, 08:22, said:

You mean thermostats?

I live in a one-bedroom condo apartment, it has 3 thermostats: one in the bedroom, one in the bathroom, and one for the rest of the unit.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users