• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

JUMP OVERCALLS ACBL

#61 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2017-January-13, 08:24

View Postblackshoe, on 2017-January-13, 07:35, said:

Is opener required to double on this auction, unless as you say he can see that responder is unlikely to wish to double for penalties?

Let us say that it is more suggested the fewer cards opener has in the denomination of the intervening bid. With a void in that denomination it is (almost) required.

#62 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2017-January-13, 09:24

View Postblackshoe, on 2017-January-13, 07:35, said:

Is opener required to double on this auction, unless as you say he can see that responder is unlikely to wish to double for penalties?

That's often the crux of the question.

There have been cases where partner hitched, and opener doubled with a marginal hand. They then claimed that their agreement is that they're required to reopen, so the UI was not relevant, because they had no other LA.

#63 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2017-January-13, 10:17

"Yeah, so you'd do it with 5 trump as well as 3? Yes, yes, of course not. Okay, show me in your notes what trump holdings you are REQUIRED to reopen on."
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#64 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-13, 10:51

View Postpran, on 2017-January-05, 01:19, said:

In any case the original PASS could be a desire for a double (showing values) and should therefore be alerted.

Are you seriously saying that Norwegian pairs (assuming they are familiar with the regs) alert 1m-(1M)-pass* if they have the agreement that double by responder would not be penalty (and hence pass could a.o. be a trap pass)? I.o.w. that all non-novice pairs alert this pass?

I am not being sarcastic, I suppose it could be true. Just like all German pairs alert their 2M openings no matter what it means and all Dutch pairs alert their 2 response to 1NT, no matter what it means.

Still, it would surprise me. I haven't seen Norwegian pairs alert like that when abroad but of course they could have familiarized themselves with our regulations.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#65 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2017-January-13, 12:27

View Posthelene_t, on 2017-January-13, 10:51, said:

Are you seriously saying that Norwegian pairs (assuming they are familiar with the regs) alert 1m-(1M)-pass* if they have the agreement that double by responder would not be penalty (and hence pass could a.o. be a trap pass)? I.o.w. that all non-novice pairs alert this pass?

No, many players have a relaxed relation to alert rules.
But I always do so myself (and if asked explain that partner's pass could suggest a double by me).
I (in my capacity as a Director) also encourage players to do as I do in such positions.

I am not being sarcastic, I suppose it could be true. Just like all German pairs alert their 2M openings no matter what it means and all Dutch pairs alert their 2 response to 1NT, no matter what it means.?

In Norway no opening bid within the range (including) 1NT - 2 shall ever be alerted. Our regulation requires any opening bid within this range to be immediately announced by opener's partner. There are many players that forget this too.

Still, it would surprise me. I haven't seen Norwegian pairs alert like that when abroad but of course they could have familiarized themselves with our regulations.

#66 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-14, 13:52

View Postpran, on 2017-January-13, 12:27, said:

{M}any players have a relaxed relation to alert rules.

This seems to be true everywhere. Unfortunately. :(
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users